Speculation: Eichel Mega Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Stepped away for a day...what is everyone thinking makes the most sense after the draft? Vegas? Nowhere?

Buffalo might (should) be concerned --if they're holding out for more than current offers--that Eichel might lower his own price if he doesn't perform as well next year. If he has a relatively bad year for himself production wise, even if it's still "good" but not "star" level, the offers are going to go down. No one wants "good" production at $10m/yr. and saying it's because he tweaked this or that or had a nagging injury from camp or whatever isn't going to negate the drop in value.

Just hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those sad "what could have been" situations where you look at a player's career and just pity him for being stuck. A lot of fans from MIN were happy for Kevin Garnett when he got traded--if you love them, let them go. :'(

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Duchene also was never anywhere close to the caliber of player Eichel is. The point isn't to get Duchene value for Eichel, it's to hang onto your asset until you get what you want for it.

while the other team is saying look what happened after we ignored our misgivings and paid that much.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Stepped away for a day...what is everyone thinking makes the most sense after the draft? Vegas? Nowhere?

Buffalo might (should) be concerned --if they're holding out for more than current offers--that Eichel might lower his own price if he doesn't perform as well next year. If he has a relatively bad year for himself production wise, even if it's still "good" but not "star" level, the offers are going to go down. No one wants "good" production at $10m/yr. and saying it's because he tweaked this or that or had a nagging injury from camp or whatever isn't going to negate the drop in value.

Just hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those sad "what could have been" situations where you look at a player's career and just pity him for being stuck. A lot of fans from MIN were happy for Kevin Garnett when he got traded--if you love them, let them go. :'(
I’ve always believed it will be the Wild and it makes sense on so many levels. Rossi could and should be the main target to reunite him with Jack Quinn.

Rossi, Fiala, Rask and a 2022 - 1st.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I mean, he's 24 years old. I'm not sure if you think he is going to decline or just prefer not to perform but both are pretty silly notions.
If there was some long term medical problems, wouldn't KA just get what he could and move on?
Or to think Jack would tank his career as he's reaching his prime just to be moved quicker. No agent tells his guy to do that because it signals an even bigger issue. And he would probably sit and rot in the buffalo press box if he did, going down in history as a crybaby loser. Competitive athletes just don't do that. What an uninformed take.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Chytil
Georgiev
Jones
Reunanen
2022 1st
2023 1st

for

Eichel

I don’t think it’s worth it. Geo + Chytil + prospects fine, but the two firsts, bleh.

And since I think it’s a bit to much, it’s probably closer to what Sabres would accept.

bold:
1. not worth it
2. Chytil off the table, need him for 2C and we are moving Strome, so he is totally not surplus
3. even IF Eichel 111% top form, reality of cap adding 10m salary = structural cap straightjacket which we don't get out of until Trouba + most of his 8m per can be moved.
4. Eich atm = Eich w/issues, costs; that is reality
5. bluest blue chips are worth more, totality of circumstances

----------
They want up front bluest blue chip prospects that we suffered to obtain, and drafted wisely.
No go
Only conditional late = 7ths that each can morph into a 1st

then IF Eich is in form and earns multiple 1sts let Buf draft + develop their own

don't encourage Sabes to gut our system [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Are teams going to even be willing to trade unprotected 2022 1sts without insurance on that pick? Due to eichel health?

not sure what ducks could realistically offer but

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
bold:
1. not worth it
2. Chytil off the table, need him for 2C and we are moving Strome, so he is totally not surplus
3. even IF Eichel 111% top form, reality of cap adding 10m salary = structural cap straightjacket which we don't get out of until Trouba + most of his 8m per can be moved.
4. Eich atm = Eich w/issues, costs; that is reality
5. bluest blue chips are worth more, totality of circumstances

----------
They want up front bluest blue chip prospects that we suffered to obtain, and drafted wisely.
No go
Only conditional late = 7ths that each can morph into a 1st

then IF Eich is in form and earns multiple 1sts let Buf draft + develop their own

don't encourage Sabes to gut our system and rape the Rangers

Bern,

Everyone knows your stance, so there's no reason to repeat it. Also, that last phrase of yours needs to change. It's inappropriate.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Are teams going to even be willing to trade unprotected 2022 1sts without insurance on that pick? Due to eichel health?

not sure what ducks could realistically offer but

Way too risky for the Ducks to offer their unprotected 1st round for Eichel. Especially this year’s

Reactions: Getz2noone

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Honestly, MTL’s unprotected first at next year’s draft could be a good gamble for the Sabres. The Canadiens are far from being a sure thing to make the playoffs

Reactions: Getz2noone

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

Eichel putting up bad numbers to start the year isn't a worry at all. He played last season with cracked ribs and in visible pain for those 16 or so games and was still at a point per game leading an absurdly high power play, they were like 75% even though eichel couldn't do half of what we were used to seeing. If he starts the season in Buffalo his price will go up, im certain of that and its why so many people want to keep him.

I want to see how he plays with all the kids. If it still isn't working by the 25 game point ill be on board selling him, but I think Granato's coaching style fits Eichel better than anything he's had before.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Way too risky for the Ducks to offer their unprotected 1st round for Eichel. Especially this year’s
I could see something like

To Buffalo
mctavish
2022 1st(w/ protection top 5)
Lacombe
Oilers 2022 1st
Tracey/steel/Lundy/groulx

to ducks
Eichel
Benson

to oilers
Rakell @ 50%

Could also se Manson as the piece to a 3rd team to add a 1st, instead of Rakell

sabres get 2 2022 1sts + mctavish and a pretty under the radar d prospect…. + a young forward to fill in their line up, seems a bit high from Anaheim tho… prob would need A pick from Buffalo or cap dump going to Buffalo

Last edited:
Reactions: Be a Hab

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Duchene and Colorado coexisted uncomfortably together for ~2 years before the Avs got the kind of trade they wanted for him. Eichel can put on his big boy pants and suck it up until the same happens for the Sabres.
Eichel seems more of a toxic personality. Do you want him there to spread bad energy around your young players?

Didn't he basically get a coach and/or GM fired (I can't recall everything about that ordeal) and then you have the operation situation which he made public.

It feels like the best thing would to move him ASAP. But I get it, you want full value of course. But at what cost? I'd rather take 90% value and move him then 100% of value and him pouting, talking shit about the organisation in front of your young players.

Also look at his production this last season. Do you want to risk him putting up another season like that and possibly tank his value even more?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Honestly, MTL’s unprotected first at next year’s draft could be a good gamble for the Sabres. The Canadiens are far from being a sure thing to make the playoffs
Draft is in Montreal....we may trade that first...but they would for sure protect it. Probably top 3 protected.....imagine we won 1st and lost it in Montreal?

Reactions: Be a Hab

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's probably a wash on Eichel value whether he moves now or later.

If he stays, he's probably going to have some suitors next year who wouldn't touch him this year just because of health issues.

He might underperform next year, but if you're the Sabres, I don't see how that's your expectation.

The bigger deal is whether the Sabres are trying to tank again next year, in which case maybe they want to finish cleaning house now. I'd say the Reinhart and Ristolainen returns suggests they might. I'm sure they had some offers that were more hockey trades, and the Sabres clearly went for futures.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Eichel wants to go to a contender where there are positive vibes.

Barzal + 2nd for Eichel? (Buffalo sadly gets less value since Eichel wants out).

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I know it’s within the division. I personally don’t care about that, or in conference. I only care about the best return.

And in that return, even if he’d be useful, White is the cap dump portion.
I believe the whole out West narrative is more about Jack not going to the Rangers or Bruins. I completely agree with the Sabres stance after Jack tried to force this trade and box Buffalo into a corner. One team that could be very stealth is Detroit. Yzerman is one smart dude and I don't see him letting an elite 1C slip by unless they are tanking this season.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think Habs fans are putting a pretty respectable package out there. I just cant see Sabres dealing him in division

if sabres are looking to tank for the foreseeable future dealing eichel within division is probably a good thing. it ensures they tank well ;)

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
It's probably a wash on Eichel value whether he moves now or later.

If he stays, he's probably going to have some suitors next year who wouldn't touch him this year just because of health issues.

He might underperform next year, but if you're the Sabres, I don't see how that's your expectation.

The bigger deal is whether the Sabres are trying to tank again next year, in which case maybe they want to finish cleaning house now. I'd say the Reinhart and Ristolainen returns suggests they might. I'm sure they had some offers that were more hockey trades, and the Sabres clearly went for futures.

Marty Biron has always believed it would be a deadline deal which would allow almost any team the opportunity cap wise to acquire him. Especially now that the 2021 draft has passed. Zero motivation. Let's see if Jack shows up at camp.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Eichel seems more of a toxic personality. Do you want him there to spread bad energy around your young players?

Didn't he basically get a coach and/or GM fired (I can't recall everything about that ordeal) and then you have the operation situation which he made public.

It feels like the best thing would to move him ASAP. But I get it, you want full value of course. But at what cost? I'd rather take 90% value and move him then 100% of value and him pouting, talking shit about the organisation in front of your young players.

Also look at his production this last season. Do you want to risk him putting up another season like that and possibly tank his value even more?

This has been gone over frequently. Eichel put up 19 in 21 last year, and he played injured the whole year. The neck injury was just the latest of his injuries, and that is what finally shut him down. Of all the factors to consider regarding his value, his point total from last year is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad