Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton Oilers Play-In Series Extravaganza

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks should have a 5at net advantage given that McDavid was -6 and Draisaitl -7 so despite their scoring ability they had to become bad defensively in 5×5 that except for their Pp points they would be considered as liabilities...despite their gaudy scoring totals..However the fact is they are so prolific on the Pp.

Therefore this series comes down to how well the Hawks PK and goaltending holds...

We shoukdxwin rgec5x5 game ..but if our PK letsvus down then we could be out in 5 or less.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
It’s actually pretty realistic. The Hawks are a flawed team, but the Oilers are as well except they were propped up by an incredible power play.

Oh, no doubt (in my mind, anyway), the Hawks match up well with the Oilers. My comment was more about statistical models of sporting events.

My take:
Lots of conditionals: If DeHaan, Murphy and Crow are on top of their games (or close) and we stay out of the box, we can and should win.

Reactions: Naster Okan

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Somebody get on that weds night gdt
I've already started it.

It probably won't be anything fancy, just an average GDT for me. I'm saving a better theme idea for Saturday's game. I'll let Rooh and Styles handle the rest of this series.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I've already started it.

It probably won't be anything fancy, just an average GDT for me. I'm saving a better theme idea for Saturday's game. I'll let Rooh and Styles handle the rest of this series.
If I get some good ideas, I can also run some GDTs since I've got the time.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Charlie Roumeliotis said on the Hawks Talk pod that he thinks the third and fourth lines will be used to matchup, and Colliton will try to maximize the scoring of the Toews and Kane lines.

He said that’s his theory based on how Colliton split up the lines for scrimmages, and it seemed to him that the third and fourth were practicing shutting down high-skilled lines.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Charlie Roumeliotis said on the Hawks Talk pod that he thinks the third and fourth lines will be used to matchup, and Colliton will try to maximize the scoring of the Toews and Kane lines.

He said that’s his theory based on how Colliton split up the lines for scrimmages, and it seemed to him that the third and fourth were practicing shutting down high-skilled lines.
This makes sense. Obviously the Nylander-Strome-Kane line will be used for offense, but Toews' defensive play has dropped off recently so using him in a scoring role makes sense too.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This makes sense. Obviously the Nylander-Strome-Kane line will be used for offense, but Toews' defensive play has dropped off recently so using him in a scoring role makes sense too.

Ya, and even last year Colliton obviously put Toews in a heavier offensive role. It will be interesting though to see how Dach handles a shutdown role against either McDavid or Draisaitl

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
The bottom six most likely get a lot of those minutes the first two games anyway. I need to see a game first before I can feel either way on the decision. I’m most interested in game three for JC.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The bottom six most likely get a lot of those minutes the first two games anyway. I need to see a game first before I can feel either way on the decision. I’m most interested in game three for JC.
If Hawks go down 2-0, JC will be in desperation mode in game three.
IMO, Hawks absolutely need to win at least one of the first two games to have a chance.

Reactions: featherhawk

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
This isn't true. Is he better with Hossa? Obviously but this implies he is not a good defensive player.
I’m not implying he isn’t good defensively, but it seems to me he doesn’t have the drive to be unless he’s pushed.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I’m not implying he isn’t good defensively, but it seems to me he doesn’t have the drive to be unless he’s pushed.

I think you are confusing Toews with a few other Blackhawks. Guys who are in the org, are skilled enough to play any way that's called for but who don't have the grit or determination to play hockey in the trenches. IE. playoff hockey. That does not describe Jonathon Toews and never has.

Reactions: swerdnase

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
I think you are confusing Toews with a few other Blackhawks. Guys who are in the org, are skilled enough to play any way that's called for but who don't have the grit or determination to play hockey in the trenches. IE. playoff hockey. That does not describe Jonathon Toews and never has.
This. I'd never question Jonny's motivation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad