Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton Oilers Play-In Series Extravaganza

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
So we have hockey again eh???

Welp, let's try not to f*** this up too badly boys...

Its about that time AD

upload_2020-7-28_16-30-2.png

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
I think you are confusing Toews with a few other Blackhawks. Guys who are in the org, are skilled enough to play any way that's called for but who don't have the grit or determination to play hockey in the trenches. IE. playoff hockey. That does not describe Jonathon Toews and never has.
I believe Toews is every bit as capable as he’s always been. He’s managed to finally be a PPG player given a more offensive role, who am I to question his motivation but I don’t see it to be a Selke caliber player any longer.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I believe Toews is every bit as capable as he’s always been. He’s managed to finally be a PPG player given a more offensive role, who am I to question his motivation but I don’t see it to be a Selke caliber player any longer.

If it's Selke caliber player as the standard you're setting then you're probably right that JT is unlikely to win that trophy again but I wouldn't be surprised if he were nominated - he is far from being weak without the puck.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Watching the Leafs/Habs game, it’s hard for me to say how good the Leafs actually are because oh my god the Habs suck.

Like I thought the Hawks were bad this year. The Habs look like a peewee team out there. Toronto doesn’t even look like some great team but they don’t have to right now.

Reactions: BobbyJet

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Watching the Leafs/Habs game, it’s hard for me to say how good the Leafs actually are because oh my god the Habs suck.

Like I thought the Hawks were bad this year. The Habs look like a peewee team out there. Toronto doesn’t even look like some great team but they don’t have to right now.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Before I go to bed, here’s what I’ve seen from the Oilers/Flames game.

- Talbot is so very bad, I have no idea why he’s starting over artifice right now
- Tkachuk line looks really good right now. Monahan and Gaudreau continue to look useless when the going gets tough.
- Gus just can’t help but make boneheaded plays.
- Oilers special teams continue to be lethal, but I thought at even strength they were just okay.
- Koskinen looked solid for the most part.
- Oilers are dirty as hell, that pisses me off.
- Broberg hasn’t stood out at all, and I doubt he plays against us.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Before I go to bed, here’s what I’ve seen from the Oilers/Flames game.

- Talbot is so very bad, I have no idea why he’s starting over artifice right now
- Tkachuk line looks really good right now. Monahan and Gaudreau continue to look useless when the going gets tough.
- Gus just can’t help but make boneheaded plays.
- Oilers special teams continue to be lethal, but I thought at even strength they were just okay.
- Koskinen looked solid for the most part.
- Oilers are dirty as hell, that pisses me off.
- Broberg hasn’t stood out at all, and I doubt he plays against us.
There is no way in hell Broberg is playing unless multiple Dmen go down lol. he looked shaky as hell, which was to be expected in the first. They just wanted him to get a game in because Jones was banged up. He has not passed Bouchard, but he looks to be a good one down the road. They play differently and on different sides.

Reactions: bwana63

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Broberg leapfrogged Bouchard. Guess we made the right choice with Boqvist, not that there was ever any doubt about it.
Tippet said that the reason they decided to give Broberg the #7 spot with Jones sitting was that he was the only defenseman who had never played an NHL game and they wanted him to know what the pace was like. He and Bouchard are not really comparable since they have such different styles. Bouchard had a very strong second half of the season in the AHL and is likely a serious contender for a spot on the team next year. It is very unlikely that Broberg plays until the following year at the earliest . He's definitely not ready to face Kane.

Last edited:

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
I’m astounded by the general opinion that the Oil take this series. 2 of 18 sportsnet staff picked the Hawks:

Sportsnet NHL Insiders 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs Predictions - Sportsnet.ca

This can only be a reflection of how bad people feel the Hawks are, because that Oilers team is far far FAR from an airtight roster. People can point to their dynamic duo all day, but how many times before back-to-back Cups were Sid and Geno bounced in the first/second round?

This series is a coin toss.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Looks like we need to recalibrate the timetable for young Master (or is it Mr. now?) Dach. Yeah, just one game (and an exhibition one, at that), but it's apparent the train has left the station and is really picking up speed.

His playoff peach fuzz tickles me.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad