Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton Oilers Play-In Series Extravaganza

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Take it and run no questions asked. Even with Mitchell. It sucks, but so does having 8.3% of your cap and a roster spot wasted every single season for 4 more years.

Ya, that’s what I think too. I mean unless Mitchell turns into the Musto wet dream version of Mitchell, that trade is worth it.

Seabrook isn’t going to just LTIR away, that should be clear by now.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
50% retention on Seabrook + 20201st (unless it’s Lafrenierre) + Beaudin/Mitchell/Kurashev

That should be worth it for a lot of teams rebuilding

meh, if that is what it will take I'll take a hard pass on that. Seabrook will eventually be bought out, retire or LTIR at some point. no reason to sacrifice a 1st and one of those young guns.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
meh, if that is what it will take I'll take a hard pass on that. Seabrook will eventually be bought out, retire or LTIR at some point. no reason to sacrifice a 1st and one of those young guns.

And until that happens we’ll be a considerably worse team. Better to bite the bullet and get it done now. Or just full on rebuild for 3 more years

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Best case Stan tells him he'll be a #7 and he's unhappy and they decide to buy him out this summer. With expansion draft the following summer its probably best to buy him out now as injured players cannot receive buyouts without their consent...dont need to lose a player because of his nmc

They told him now already. Why do you think he changed his mind regarding these playoffs? Because they told him that he's not gonna play. And next season won't be any different. Doesn't look like Colliton intends to play Seabrook at all. That buyout is as good as done. Bowman is never gonna empty the farm and throw away all valuable assets to get rid of one player and no team is gonna be interested in taking on such a contract..not many teams with plans to rebuild for four years can afford to pay it. I think pretty much the only chance to avoid the buyout would be to take on another bad contract in order to move Seabrook.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
They told him now already. Why do you think he changed his mind regarding these playoffs? Because they told him that he's not gonna play. And next season won't be any different. Doesn't look like Colliton intends to play Seabrook at all.

Agree, the story doesn't add up, again, with Seabs statements and what management is saying...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Agree, the story doesn't add up, again, with Seabs statements and what management is saying...

Plans can change and a lot can happen but I'm sure they told him that he's not part of their plans now and going forward and that's why he decided not to travel with the team. Would have been a waste of time for him.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Plans can change and a lot can happen but I'm sure they told him that he's not part of their plans now and going forward and that's why he decided not to travel with the team. Would be a waste of time for him.

Wonder if they were gonna leave him off the 31 man roster and saved face for him by saying its his choice to stay home...

Reactions: Hinterland

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
And until that happens we’ll be a considerably worse team. Better to bite the bullet and get it done now. Or just full on rebuild for 3 more years

in my humble opinion the hawks window is SLAMMED shut, this is a full on rebuild in any case. Seabrooks deal will not kill the rebuild, just the same as Kane will not make the hawks a contender again.

better off trading whoever is willing to waive and continue the rebuild.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Absolutely no way should Ian be traded to offload Seabrook.

You move Vlasic + Teply + 2021 1st + 2021 2nd and a 2022 2nd for all I care, but absolutely not Ian.

Ian is the next Seabrook in terms of importance to this team.

Reactions: Muffinalt

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Not hurting as much considering we arent a contender that is a single piece away from winning like we were in 16 and 17. People hate hearing this thought but we probably dont get overly competitive through the rest of Kane and Toews contracts unless we get a 1st overall one of these years.

Also remember, this team had 10 million in space prior to this season starting they managed to blow all of that on a player who already was a concussion away from retirement, a Dman who has had more shoulder surgeries than the # of Red Dogs Dach drinks on the daily, and Maatta.

Even if we had an extra 7 million in space with no Seabs I really have a feeling they would have just gotten another player or two signed for multiple years and still create a contract situation for Strome and Kubalik.

Imagine if they had just gotten one of DeHaan/Maatta then got the Leafs first for taking Marleau? No Strome/Kubalik situation and if Toronto loses the play in round its an even better pick that could have seen us nab someone good in the top 8/Lafreniere and then get some one in the late teens/20s like Mysak, Amirov, or even Musto's new boy toy in Khusnutdinov

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Not hurting as much considering we arent a contender that is a single piece away from winning like we were in 16 and 17. People hate hearing this thought but we probably dont get overly competitive through the rest of Kane and Toews contracts unless we get a 1st overall one of these years.

Also remember, this team had 10 million in space prior to this season starting they managed to blow all of that on a player who already was a concussion away from retirement, a Dman who has had more shoulder surgeries than the # of Red Dogs Dach drinks on the daily, and Maatta.

Even if we had an extra 7 million in space with no Seabs I really have a feeling they would have just gotten another player or two signed for multiple years and still create a contract situation for Strome and Kubalik.

Imagine if they had just gotten one of DeHaan/Maatta then got the Leafs first for taking Marleau? No Strome/Kubalik situation and if Toronto loses the play in round its an even better pick that could have seen us nab someone good in the top 8/Lafreniere and then get some one in the late teens/20s like Mysak, Amirov, or even Musto's new boy toy in Khusnutdinov

1) hindsight is 20/20
2) did you forget how bad we were in 18/19?
3) spending: if Bowman hadn't spent to/near the ceiling, I'd expect you'd be complaining about that
4) acquisitions: the only way to bring in good players with limited funds is if the players have flaws (e.g., injury history, current team has cap issues)

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They told him now already. Why do you think he changed his mind regarding these playoffs? Because they told him that he's not gonna play. And next season won't be any different. Doesn't look like Colliton intends to play Seabrook at all. That buyout is as good as done. Bowman is never gonna empty the farm and throw away all valuable assets to get rid of one player and no team is gonna be interested in taking on such a contract..not many teams with plans to rebuild for four years can afford to pay it. I think pretty much the only chance to avoid the buyout would be to take on another bad contract in order to move Seabrook.

These are your assumptions that are pure fantasy and/or wishful thinking on your part.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
These are your assumptions that are pure fantasy and/or wishful thinking on your part.
I don’t believe it’s at all fantasy thinking that Seabrook is penciled in as a depth defensemen by the coaching staff at this point in time. The buyout is another story.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
1) hindsight is 20/20
2) did you forget how bad we were in 18/19?
3) spending: if Bowman hadn't spent to/near the ceiling, I'd expect you'd be complaining about that
4) acquisitions: the only way to bring in good players with limited funds is if the players have flaws (e.g., injury history, current team has cap issues)

No its not Shaw had a concussion pretty much every season he was a hab and he was acquired after coming off a season he didnt even play 70 games. Anyone that has remotely followed DeHaan would know he has always been plagued by injuries.

2) They werent an Andrew Shaw or A DeHaan away from contending for the cup in 2019.

3) Its not about spending generally its about spending WISELY which wasnt done at all considering now we are possibly losing a top 6 player in Strome or Kubalik due to this past offseason.

4) They didnt have limited funds they had 10+ million in space even then no one said they had to bring in 3 players with long contracts that would **** this team when it came to re-signing players. As I already said they could have ust gotten 1 of Maatta/Dehaan, kept our picks and avoided getting Shaw (As if Danault and a 2nd for 2 plugs didnt already bite them in the ass) and then use the remaing space to squeeze out a first from cap strapped teams.

Team still improves without ****ing the team over next year, and more prospects that can actually help this team in the coming years unlike the 7 million dollar IR duo of Shaw and DeHaan who are lucky to even play a combined 50 games a season

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
No its not Shaw had a concussion pretty much every season he was a hab and he was acquired after coming off a season he didnt even play 70 games. Anyone that has remotely followed DeHaan would know he has always been plagued by injuries.

2) They werent an Andrew Shaw or A DeHaan away from contending for the cup in 2019.

3) Its not about spending generally its about spending WISELY which wasnt done at all considering now we are possibly losing a top 6 player in Strome or DeBrincat due to this past offseason.

4) They didnt have limited funds they had 10+ million in space even then no one said they had to bring in 3 players with long contracts that would **** this team when it came to re-signing players. As I already said they could have ust gotten 1 of Maatta/Dehaan, kept our picks and avoided getting Shaw (As if Danault and a 2nd for 2 plugs didnt already bite them in the ass) and then use the remaing space to squeeze out a first from cap strapped teams.

Team still improves without ****ing the team over next year, and more prospects that can actually help this team in the coming years unlike the 7 million dollar IR duo of Shaw and DeHaan who are lucky to even play a combined 50 games a season

Pretty sure the goal was to make the playoffs. No one seriously expected them to contend for the Cup.

We're gonna lose either Cat or Strome? News to me.

Bowman rolled the bones on Shaw & CDH. He lost.

Danault? Got an axe to grind?

Beef w/CDH & Maatta? One wasn't enough to solidify our poor D enough to become a playoff team.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Pretty sure the goal was to make the playoffs. No one seriously expected them to contend for the Cup.

We're gonna lose either Cat or Strome? News to me.

Bowman rolled the bones on Shaw & CDH. He lost.

Danault? Got an axe to grind?

Beef w/CDH & Maatta? One wasn't enough to solidify our poor D enough to become a playoff team.

What is the point of making the playoffs if you literally cant even contend? Being bounced in round 1 is counterproductive and if anything detrimental. Better to suck now and get talent instead of being detroit and chasing playoff appearences only to have little to no young talent due to always getting the 19-20 spots in the draft. Danault and a 2nd was given up for two guys that struggle to even get 20 points a year in Flesichman and Weisse, it was a dumb trade from the start and attaching a first rounder in Danault is even dumber.

You didnt need both and the playoffs doesnt benefit this team when they already have too many holes. The "prestige of making the playoffs doesnt fix any of the holes the team has" The Hawks D didnt need to be improved overnight when there was already a pretty deep pool of Dmen in the system instead of ****ing the team for next season. They had the 6th most expensive blueline and look where that got them and this years team literally allowed more shots against per game with the "better" and more expensive blueline than they did the previous year.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
in my humble opinion the hawks window is SLAMMED shut, this is a full on rebuild in any case. Seabrooks deal will not kill the rebuild, just the same as Kane will not make the hawks a contender again.

better off trading whoever is willing to waive and continue the rebuild.

Agreed. Make buyouts, trade Saad, and/or go cheap in goalie to sign players that might be here in 5 years when you can compete again. And if you truly want to speed up the rebuild you retain 50% on Kane and trade him if you can get a blue chip prospect back.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
What is the point of making the playoffs if you literally cant even contend? Being bounced in round 1 is counterproductive and if anything detrimental. Better to suck now and get talent instead of being detroit and chasing playoff appearences only to have little to no young talent due to always getting the 19-20 spots in the draft. Danault and a 2nd was given up for two guys that struggle to even get 20 points a year in Flesichman and Weisse, it was a dumb trade from the start and attaching a first rounder in Danault is even dumber.

You didnt need both and the playoffs doesnt benefit this team when they already have too many holes. The "prestige of making the playoffs doesnt fix any of the holes the team has" The Hawks D didnt need to be improved overnight when there was already a pretty deep pool of Dmen in the system instead of ****ing the team for next season. They had the 6th most expensive blueline and look where that got them and this years team literally allowed more shots against per game with the "better" and more expensive blueline than they did the previous year.

The window is closing. There was pressure to make the playoffs (from the FO and season ticket holders). If all went to plan, the Hawks might be ready to contend next season.

Full blown rebuild was/is an option. Bowman didn't go that route. FWLIW, I support that (overhaul on the fly).

Carping about the Danault trade (which, admittedly, sucked), when we're debating Bowman's offseason moves, shows your true colors.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Agreed. Make buyouts, trade Saad, and/or go cheap in goalie to sign players that might be here in 5 years when you can compete again. And if you truly want to speed up the rebuild you retain 50% on Kane and trade him if you can get a blue chip prospect back.

Eww.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad