Dreger: Edmonton Oilers Have Offers For Jordan Eberle, Trade Likely

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
its not his age or his points that anyone here is worried about... its his loser effort at competing for the puck at crunch time and his 6 million salary

sadly teams want winners and paying 6 mill for a guy who accepts losing isnt very palatable to anyone.
Not really.

There are always teams looking for scoring help. Jordan Eberle can help with that. At 27 years old with only 2 years on his contract, teams could do a lot worse than getting Jordan Eberle.

Obviously nobody wants to lose. But NHL teams give players a second chance rather than just painting them as a loser or choker like HFBoards posters. Players can thrive with change. No player - or human being for that matter - has to be stuck in the same state their whole life. Reality isn't so black and white.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
would Oilers consider taking another teams overpaid winger with one less year of bad contract in exchange for an ostensibly more productive Eberle? provided said winger was still productive of course.

Depends on the winger. Eberle has worn out his welcome in Edmonton but he's a strong bounceback candidate for whichever team acquires him. They could get two good years out of him. The Oilers would also want back a player that could potentially bounce back and maybe re-sign.

We could use another team's version of Eberle but we don't need another team's Pouliot.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It's been 50 years since your team has one a Stanley Cup and a trade is what would break you?
:biglaugh:

:handclap:

Although when you've been beaten down for 50 years I could understand why the smallest thing could mentally derail you.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
There is ZERO doubt that the Isles are one of the teams with an offer in to the Oilers. Makes me sick if it involves anything more than Nelson/Strome and secondary assets, but alas I am not in control of the Isles. If I was garth snow would not be there.

Sigh.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Dallas for the 3rd pick for Eberle Edmonton's 22nd pick, 4th round pick. That seems like an Oilers-ish thing to happen.

That's actually great value for Edmonton.
Edmonton makes this trade before the expansion draft.
Vegas drafts their players.
Edmonton trades 3rd overall pick for something that'll make em better next year OR they draft the player to ensure that they can stay competitive for longer.

Eberle is potential addition via subtraction for Edmonton because he doesn't mesh well with the system that's been implemented by T-Mac.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Two 2017 2nds + Ryan Murphy from Carolina for Eberle (full salary)

Wouldn't feel too salty over that either.
Like the previously mentioned Dallas proposal it makes the lottery draft simpler and leaves Edmonton with more assets.

Jordan Eberle for Mike Green, But seriously i could possibly see Eberle with the Islanders they do need RW help.

If Detroit trades Green they're throwing in the towel for next season already.

Hamonic likely.

That would be pretty cool but I'm sure that also means that Russel is gone.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not really.

There are always teams looking for scoring help. Jordan Eberle can help with that. At 27 years old with only 2 years on his contract, teams could do a lot worse than getting Jordan Eberle.

Obviously nobody wants to lose. But NHL teams give players a second chance rather than just painting them as a loser or choker like HFBoards posters. Players can thrive with change. No player - or human being for that matter - has to be stuck in the same state their whole life. Reality isn't so black and white.

id probably point to guys like vladamir ruzicka, peter klima, ales hemsky as examples what real nhl gms feel about 60 point guys who reach their mid20s without developing a 2way game.

of course teams want these skilled players to be useful... but as they hit their late 20s, teams give up on them. they start losing their icetime. they get moved to a 3rd/4th line. this is ok if they are being paid 3rd line money but eberle is making first line money

a team is much more likely to take a chance on someone like eberle when he is 22/23/24

i will be surprised if hes worth more than a second round pick and a cap dump. i do feel strongly edmonton is desperate to get rid of him... so i expect a trade. if im wrong feel free to throw it in my face. if edmonton eats half his contract hes probably worth a late first.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Very possible.

The worst part is thinking back to the 2010 draft when the Oilers were trying to acquire the 4th overall pick from Columbus in order to draft Johansen.

There's a scene with Tambellini where someone says "What did they ask for?"

He replied, laughing, "Eberle." Which was a non-starter.

Granted, he was a very highly touted prospect at the time coming off a pretty good performance with Canada. Amazing to see how his value has fallen. Could be a good buy low candidate.

And us Jackets fans kept citing that conversation for the next three years as Oil fan after Oil fan kept insisting over and over that that just wasn't right, that couldn't possibly be fair value, how dare we demand someone like that (or suggest that we don't want to move him), we just had to trade Joey for Hemsky and a pick or something. Three. Years. Hell, I resigned as a moderator here just so I could in (semi-)good conscience start spamming "The price for Ryan Johansen is Jordan Eberle" at the end of every post a la Cato the Censor's "Carthago delenda est". :laugh: :shakehead

Ah, memories. Especially amusing that that proposal is just as outrageous now as it was back then... only in the opposite direction nowadays. :)

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Yeah zero chance that Dallas trades down 19 spots for Eberle Edmonton's 22nd pick and a 4th. Besides i think Nill wants LD help not forwards.

Well they lost RW Nichushkin to the KHL so Eberle can replace him. A lot of their wingers are in their 30's. So they would have Eberle who is 27 and has a lot of skilled years left.

They could draft 6'6 LHD Nicolas Hague who has dropped down the draft board. But still has high upside in his game.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Not super familiar with Martinez game in recent years, but he puts up points and has decent size so I definitely would have interest. Care to give more of a breakdown on his game?

Two-way, top 4 D. Plays both PP and PK. Has played on the right side the past 2 seasons.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can see Eberle ending up in Vegas on a trade post expansion draft. I don't know what Vegas will have for assets/what Oilers want, but Vegas will need some forwards that actually belong in a top 6 and they're not finding them via the expansion draft.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
And us Jackets fans kept citing that conversation for the next three years as Oil fan after Oil fan kept insisting over and over that that just wasn't right, that couldn't possibly be fair value, how dare we demand someone like that (or suggest that we don't want to move him), we just had to trade Joey for Hemsky and a pick or something. Three. Years. Hell, I resigned as a moderator here just so I could in (semi-)good conscience start spamming "The price for Ryan Johansen is Jordan Eberle" at the end of every post a la Cato the Censor's "Carthago delenda est". :laugh: :shakehead

Ah, memories. Especially amusing that that proposal is just as outrageous now as it was back then... only in the opposite direction nowadays. :)
The three years after that proposal was made at the draft? The Oilers would have been insane to do it at that time. It's easy to judge in hindsight but Eberle had 76 points in 78 games two seasons after the conversation was had. Only a Columbus homer or time traveler would have argued Johansen over Eberle for those three years.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
I would bet that Dallas is in on this. Almost certain that Nuke won't consider returning this season with a good opportunity to return to the olympics in 2018. With Sharp gone and Seguin at C, Dallas NEEDS a top6 scoring RW.

"Chia not ready to accept" == they offered us Eakin.

I would offer Eakin+2nd(+ one free Oleksiak if you want him) before the expansion draft, but only if there is another deal with Vegas to keep Roussel and Nuke.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Something around Martinez for Eberle?

As a King fan this would make me unhappy. Yea we need to move a defenseman for forward help but this is the wrong target. He has no compete to his game at all and didn't even know he was dressed in the playoffs. Not a fan and feel there's a better fit somewhere else. Not to mention there is no way we could do this before the ED.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
That's actually great value for Edmonton.
Edmonton makes this trade before the expansion draft.
Vegas drafts their players.
Edmonton trades 3rd overall pick for something that'll make em better next year OR they draft the player to ensure that they can stay competitive for longer.

Eberle is potential addition via subtraction for Edmonton because he doesn't mesh well with the system that's been implemented by T-Mac.

Not only is that "NHL17 on easy mode" level of lopsided trade, but Dallas isn't able or willing to make a move for another forward without giving up one in return. Player for draft picks would force Dallas to expose 2 of Nuke, Ritchie, Eakin, Roussel, and they are having a hard enough time picking the one to expose, as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad