Dreger: Edmonton Oilers Have Offers For Jordan Eberle, Trade Likely

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
yeah i know. initial reactions though...and the expectations leading up to the trade were really, really, really far off. But it worked out.

Thing is Larsson has much more value than Hall.

The people bashing the trade are users on this board with limited knowledge about other teams, people who had no clue what kind of player Larsson is.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
To be fair, you also won't find a single edm fan that would have agreed to trade Hall for Larsson prior to June 29, 2016.

The Knowledgeable ones would have. I know I would have, in a second.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
If he was only a righty. Plus the Oilers have this weird curse that former Oilers 4th line pluggers light us up when they return so Eberle in the division is a no for me.

Last year the Oilers needed help on the backend; this year the Oilers need secondary scoring. So what are you proposing to address that?

Proposing? Someone you may not think lives up to your idea of Eberle's worth, or who comes with baggage (expensive winger on the decline, for example). I don't know exactly who but peruse a list of players fans are trying to get rid of here and you might find someone that's on the surface unappealing but would suit your team perfectly. If you're getting rid of Eberle to get secondary scoring...Does that really make sense? How are you selling Eberle if it's not for scoring?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Two 2017 2nds + Ryan Murphy from Carolina for Eberle (full salary)

Don't really see the point in this trade for Edmonton. If Eberle's getting dealt this year it needs to either be a roster player or a younger player with upside who could make an impact in the next year or 2. Murphy really doesn't have any value left imo.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
The Knowledgeable ones would have. I know I would have, in a second.

no, they wouldn't have. just look at the trade proposals. Good luck finding more than a couple outliers who would have even considered it.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
no, they wouldn't have. just look at the trade proposals. Good luck finding more than a couple outliers who would have even considered it.

Well looks like the ones who would have were correct. Including a top end GM of a NHL team.

What trade proposals? Hall was not even on the block, if anything Ebs and RNH were. The Hall trade was emotional because he was the only bright light in 6 years of ****. Fans that had a brain were happy with the trade.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Of course he has value.

Don't let HFBoards fool you into thinking a 27-year old who can score around 60 points is worthless. Teams will be interested in this.

its not his age or his points that anyone here is worried about... its his loser effort at competing for the puck at crunch time and his 6 million salary

sadly teams want winners and paying 6 mill for a guy who accepts losing isnt very palatable to anyone.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Put away your lofty expectations, Oiler fans. I don't say that to mock--look at everyone's reaction to the Hall/Larsson swap and look how that turned out. You may very well get "hosed" in value for the deal but come out a better team, which is what it's all about.

Exactly this..In the Hall/Larrson trade I think that NJ got the better player...but the Oilers benefitted more from the trade (if that makes any sense).

I wouldn't be surprised if the return for Eberle (and his contract) are underwhelming.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny

The people bashing the trade are users on this board with limited knowledge about other teams, people who had no clue what kind of player Larsson is.

You're talking about a guy who had been a top 5 LW in the league over a span vs a defensive prospect that was frankly disappointing and only the previous year had looked anything like his potential would indicate. You are so very wrong. A lot of people knew Larsson was the kind of D you needed for balance but no one would say he was equal in value as Hall.

EDM is probably going to end up with something like that again. Find a Solid, speedy defensive forward with some potential for scoring, on a cheap contract and it'll have repercussions for the rest of the team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Put away your lofty expectations, Oiler fans. I don't say that to mock--look at everyone's reaction to the Hall/Larsson swap and look how that turned out. You may very well get "hosed" in value for the deal but come out a better team, which is what it's all about.

The Oilers didn't get "hosed" in value in the Hall trade, I figured that narrative was put to bed by now.

I don't see many lofty expectations for a potential Eberle return but it would be nice to get something useful in return instead of just dumping his salary. His deal is only for 2 more years so I'm sure they can get some value in return, obviously not equal value to Eberle.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Exactly this..In the Hall/Larrson trade I think that NJ got the better player...but the Oilers benefitted more from the trade (if that makes any sense).

I wouldn't be surprised if the return for Eberle (and his contract) are underwhelming.

Very possible.

The worst part is thinking back to the 2010 draft when the Oilers were trying to acquire the 4th overall pick from Columbus in order to draft Johansen.

There's a scene with Tambellini where someone says "What did they ask for?"

He replied, laughing, "Eberle." Which was a non-starter.

Granted, he was a very highly touted prospect at the time coming off a pretty good performance with Canada. Amazing to see how his value has fallen. Could be a good buy low candidate.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
You're talking about a guy who had been a top 5 LW in the league over a span vs a defensive prospect that was frankly disappointing and only the previous year had looked anything like his potential would indicate. You are so very wrong. A lot of people knew Larsson was the kind of D you needed for balance but no one would say he was equal in value as Hall.

EDM is probably going to end up with something like that again. Find a Solid, speedy defensive forward with some potential for scoring, on a cheap contract and it'll have repercussions for the rest of the team.

Over a span that was already completely over.

Larsson was great the last 1.5 years in NJ, not just great but one of the best Defensive Dmen in the NHL.

Do you think that Hall currently has more value? If so this conversation is over.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
its not his age or his points that anyone here is worried about... its his loser effort at competing for the puck at crunch time and his 6 million salary

sadly teams want winners and paying 6 mill for a guy who accepts losing isnt very palatable to anyone.

That's what they said about Datsyuk

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's funny how fast opinions shift. Oilers fans were willing to give Eberle away just for cap space and now that there actually appears to be interest, they want something of value for him.

All Dreger said about the offers on the table is that they exist and Chiarelli isn't willing to accept them. I'd say nothing has changed and Oilers fans should temper expectations or prepare to be disappointed.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Well looks like the ones who would have were correct. Including a top end GM of a NHL team.

What trade proposals? Hall was not even on the block, if anything Ebs and RNH were. The Hall trade was emotional because he was the only bright light in 6 years of ****. Fans that had a brain were happy with the trade.

Yeah, he wasn't on the block (among oiler fans) because most everyone -- that's everyone as in the HF community, not just Oiler fans -- would have never guessed Larsson would return Hall.

I said it worked out, and hindsight of course everyone should be happy, but when Oiler fans were actively putting feelers out for good young defensemen GL finding any proposal where Swapping Hall for a Larsson would get a thumbs up.

All i'm saying is the return will probably be underwhelming (likely not as lopsided as Hall/Larsson but still) but Oiler management hasn't done much for me to doubt they'll at least come out even anyway in terms of overall team production.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Good news whether he is traded or not. Shows that he still has some value. If he's traded for decent value, even better.

it depends what the offers are. If it's them dumping some bad contract on us, or us retaining maximum for a marginal return, then it's not really a good sign.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
would Oilers consider taking another teams overpaid winger with one less year of bad contract in exchange for an ostensibly more productive Eberle? provided said winger was still productive of course.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It's funny how fast opinions shift. Oilers fans were willing to give Eberle away just for cap space and now that there actually appears to be interest, they want something of value for him.

All Dreger said about the offers on the table is that they exist and Chiarelli isn't willing to accept them. I'd say nothing has changed and Oilers fans should temper expectations or prepare to be disappointed.

Not to say Eberle won't get dealt for minimal, but why would they trade him for nothing? They're not in real cap trouble next year, they could use scoring on the right wing next year, also holding him to only one year left with that contract next offseason could add more value, especially with a bounce back year. He definitely has his downsides but Eberle is still a relatively young 55 to 60 point winger, to say Chia will trade him for a disappointing return doesn't make much sense?

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site

So tell us great wise one what kind of players he is. I didn't realize so many people in Alberta watch many devils games over the last few years.

Most of us seem to think hes a shutdown dman with little to zero offensve ability. You're saying we're wrong?

As for Eberle the return will be weak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad