Speculation: Edmonton Goalie Issues

puckguy97

Oct 12, 2023
What does Montreal want for a package of Montembeault and Kovacevic? Never mind the fact Edmonton could've added both for free a year ago, but their contracts are about the only ones that could fit under the team's current cap structure.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He's been scored on more than any other forward since he entered the league.
First time I've read this fact.

Link? Stat? Who is second on the list? Third? He entered the league in 2015 if it helps. I'm surprised that he's been scored on the most yet is a plus 110 on his career (PP goals aren't counted towards the very flawed plus-minus).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Three of the four goals were mainly on the D and pretty much unstoppable. When was the last time you saw a so-called top pairing give up a 2 on nothing? And why didn’t any of the forwards have enough awareness to back up the D?
I mean the team is not going to get a 7-3 PP advantage every game. They need to play better D at 5 vs 5. Goaltending is only part of the problem.
Every Oiler fans know that the Oilers defense makes big mistakes. And there are lots of examples of where the defense of the forwards were the primary culprits. But take a look at every goal scored over the year. How many could you say are followed by some sort of defensive error. Virtually all of them. It is hard to believe that the the Oilers defensive mistakes are so much more egregious than other teams their goalies have no chance to make saves.

That 2 on 1 was mostly a fluke following a bad decision by Foegele who should never have taken that shot. He had everyone else moving forward at exactly that time. Both defensemen were up in the play giving the Oilers a 5 on 3. The Oiler defensemen were actually in position to receive a pass for a possible scoring chance and probably should have stopped when Foegele held onto it, but the big issue was the bad angle shot. That said as 2 on 0's go this one was not even close to the most dangerous you will see.

1697388468745.png

As for the tips, statistically a tip has about a 10% greater chance of resulting in a goal than a similar location shot. So the save percentage on a tip should still be 75% or so at the very least. Again, as a one off you can dismiss this. But when it becomes a pattern there is an issue.

In the two games the Oilers gave up 12 high danger chances 5 vs 5. Vancouver gave up 26. It's not like the Oilers shooters are a bunch of plugs who can't convert. NHL goalies stop tough shots all the time.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
While I agree with you I'm not sure Bouchard is capable of playing good defense. I think he needs to be used like Barrie. Bottom pairing, soft minutes, playing 7 or the 9 PP minutes.

Nurse I think is a hockey sense issue. He's kind of like Phaneuf. He's got all the physical tools, plays with edge and can make some great plays. He's just not a top pairing defender because he doesn't read the play well. If he's on your second pairing with a Tanev type I think he'd be fine.

McDavid there is no excuse other than just pure selfishness. He has every tool needed to be an elite defensive C. Exceptional speed, good size, exceptional hockey sense, a quick stick. He just wants to win scoring titles and be called the best player in the game by low knowledge hockey fans more than he wants to win a cup.
I know 31 other teams who would love to have to endure McDavid’s selfishness.

Reactions: Czechboy

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Habs are still carrying 3 goalies on the roster, only Montembeault would cost an asset to acquire.

Allen could be had for free, Primeau could be had for a mid round pick or prospect swap.

Primeau for Lavoie makes some sense

puckguy97

Oct 12, 2023
Habs are still carrying 3 goalies on the roster, only Montembeault would cost an asset to acquire.

Allen could be had for free, Primeau could be had for a mid round pick or prospect swap.

Primeau for Lavoie makes some sense

Montembault is exactly who I want. What would a package of he and Kovacevic cost?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Montembault is exactly who I want. What would a package of he and Kovacevic cost?
It's tough just because of how cheap they are, their values are probably inflated in the current cap climate

Both are probably worth 2nd round picks IMO, but might have more value to the Habs who already have a glut of mid round picks

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
The philosophy is to win games with 6-5 scores, they won it all playing that way and never explored anything else.

Would you be surprise to learn that the very best goalie
combined save % Edmonton ever had is Mike smith at .913 ?

It is a goalie graveyard.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Until there is a change in goaltending coaching, it’s useless to bring anyone else in.

Dustin Schwartz should have been fired years ago.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Edmonton and Toronto seem to have been doing the same goalie thing for years keep picking up stop-gaps and hope they work out. When they don’t, move onto the next stop-gap goalie, rinse and repeat

Many teams run stop gap goalies hoping something sticks.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
That 2 on 1 was mostly a fluke following a bad decision by Foegele who should never have taken that shot. He had everyone else moving forward at exactly that time. Both defensemen were up in the play giving the Oilers a 5 on 3. The Oiler defensemen were actually in position to receive a pass for a possible scoring chance and probably should have stopped when Foegele held onto it, but the big issue was the bad angle shot. That said as 2 on 0's go this one was not even close to the most dangerous you will see.
I love Foegele, he usualy one of the few responsible player, but pretty much yeah
He stood like that for a good minute after that shift.
1697394292415.png

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
What does Montreal want for a package of Montembeault and Kovacevic? Never mind the fact Edmonton could've added both for free a year ago, but their contracts are about the only ones that could fit under the team's current cap structure.
I would do Montembeault + Kovacevic + 1st (conditional, expect CGY/FLA 2025 1st) for Evan Bouchard

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Montembeault dosent make any sens at all, another stopgap that will regress as soon he setting a skate in the Edmonton crease.
Edmonton already aquired sub .900 goalie too many times.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Gave up 16 shots last night. Lost 4-3. To Nuck's new back up.
D played well.
All 4 goals were the result of big errors by the defence. 2 tip in goals were the Canuck players were behind the D and had full control of their sticks. 1 goal were both Nurse and ceci decided to pinch at the same time resulting in a 2 on 0. The winning goal with a rusty Ekholm cheating to cover Bouchards side then getting beat wide.

The team actually played really well but the Canucks capitalized on every mistake and Skinner wasn't good enough to bail the D out. I know it's impossible to play a perfect game but the goaltending needs to bail the team out.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I know 31 other teams who would love to have to endure McDavid’s selfishness.
It's not that he isn't a great player still. He is still a great player. IMO the 2nd most talented player ever after Lemieux. It's the same argument I have for Shaq in basketball. He should have been the greatest player ever, but wasn't. He won't win until he buys into a 200 foot team game.

BTW, I don't mean selfish like he's a puck hog. I mean selfish like he cares more about individual accolades than he does about winning cups.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
First time I've read this fact.

Link? Stat? Who is second on the list? Third? He entered the league in 2015 if it helps. I'm surprised that he's been scored on the most yet is a plus 110 on his career (PP goals aren't counted towards the very flawed plus-minus).
Natural stat trick. He's leading all forwards since his debut in goals against by 11 despite missing 43 games. Granted, he plays more minutes than most, but if you count the games missed it makes up for that.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It's not that he isn't a great player still. He is still a great player. IMO the 2nd most talented player ever after Lemieux. It's the same argument I have for Shaq in basketball. He should have been the greatest player ever, but wasn't. He won't win until he buys into a 200 foot team game.

BTW, I don't mean selfish like he's a puck hog. I mean selfish like he cares more about individual accolades than he does about winning cups.
If you are correct, then you are clearly describing a selfish player. As someone who has been a fan of hockey since the late 1950s and who has seen every great player/ star since Richard/ Howe, McDavid, in my opinion, is the greatest talent ever to play in the NHL. And if there ever is a better player, I can only he’s a Montreal Canadien. Selfish or not.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Goaltending isn’t the issue, fix the defence in front of them. You can link all 4 goals yesterday to poor defensive play

Edmontons defence this year looks like Vancouver’s last year, poor structure, guys don’t know where to be, pinching for low chance plays

Kane likely has little to negative value around the league still but you need to find someone to take him, then you use that money + picks/prospects to help fix the defence

Canucks just ran a 12-4 train on them and looked fairly convincing doing so, worst hockey they played was last night in the 2nd when they spent nearly 50% of the period on the PK

Last edited:

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Linus Ullmark for Nugent-Hopkins. Reigning Vezina winner would definitely shore up the Edmonton net. Bruins get their Bergeron/Krejci replacement.. Swayman has proven he can handle #1 duties and the Bruins have capable backups in the wings. I'd assume Boston may have to add but the contracts/cap hit line up almost exact as well.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Linus Ullmark for Nugent-Hopkins. Reigning Vezina winner would definitely shore up the Edmonton net. Bruins get their Bergeron/Krejci replacement.. Swayman has proven he can handle #1 duties and the Bruins have capable backups in the wings. I'd assume Boston may have to add but the contracts/cap hit line up almost exact as well.
Knowing the position Edmonton is in, I don’t think that Boston would be the ones adding. All GMs know exactly what Edmonton is lacking and I don’t think their direct competition is going to willingly let them get better knowing it can be a potential SCF match up

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Knowing the position Edmonton is in, I don’t think that Boston would be the ones adding. All GMs know exactly what Edmonton is lacking and I don’t think their direct competition is going to willingly let them get better knowing it can be a potential SCF match up
They both get better. Goaltenders historically don't have the value that a 100 point centre has and I assume it would take a potential prospect who can step in to pry RNH away from Edm. They could also potentially work Gryz into the deal, a nice puck moving Dman that Boston would like to move to make room for Lohrei.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They both get better. Goaltenders historically don't have the value that a 100 point centre has and I assume it would take a potential prospect who can step in to pry RNH away from Edm. They could also potentially work Gryz into the deal, a nice puck moving Dman that Boston would like to move to make room for Lohrei.
Although Nuge hit 100 points, it was heavily influenced by factors he likely can’t repeat. A player in the league this long you need to look at his career average which is much lower. No GM would trade for RNH and expect that he’s a 100pt player for them, he’s a 60 point player with an outlier season that has a substantial PP point increase

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad