Speculation: Edmonton Goalie Issues

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
They will probably waive Campbell if this continues, let him play in the AHL, call up or claim a 3rd goalie that gets waived and try the Petersen/Copley strategy.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think they’ll wait as they are pretty comfortably a playoff team. Maybe later in the season but not sure how they fit anyone decent under the Cap or manage to move Campbell. They’re in a bind with that contract.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
That was an embarrassing game to open the season but itll be a bit. They dont have the capspace and presumably would need to get rid of campbell to make things work out which is an offseason type of move. Feel like theyve chosen their fate for this season.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
How long before Edmonton makes a trade for a real goalie.
They need a dance partner to unload Campbell on, that in itself is going to cost them. Edmonton doesn’t have much assets worth trading for.

The 1st’s are all going to be late, they have little to nothing for tangible prospects

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
While the goaltending was poor, the defensive play from the forwards and D was abysmal. Bouchard and Nurse in particular were awful. On the second goal Bouchard looked as soft as Charmin triple ply when he was easily stripped of the puck.
McDavid and Draisaitl need to lead by example this year and commit to playing D as well.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
While the goaltending was poor, the defensive play from the forwards and D was abysmal. Bouchard and Nurse in particular were awful. On the second goal Bouchard looked as soft as Charmin triple ply when he was easily stripped of the puck.
McDavid and Draisaitl need to lead by example this year and commit to playing D as well.
Maybe one goal you can really blame Campbell for (his 4th goal) and Skinner for 2 of them?

I don't think anyone can really point to any one player last night, goalie, forward or d that had a bad game cause like....everyone did.

That said they just need to fire the goalie coach, Edmonton media is like "He is secretly really good and thats why he is still here, its not his fault that every goalie that comes here ends up having the EXACT same glove hand flaw"

Reactions: Infamousprime

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The goalies looked bad last night yes... but the whole team looked awful and dmen looked putrid.

But as always in the NHL... when in doubt, blame the goalies

But, the Oilers studs will pick it up real soon and everyone will forget this gross opening game

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
They can trade for Saros or Vasi and both goalies would look like minor leaguers. Defense is their biggest issue. Heck you can put a prime Hasek on that team and he wouldn’t have any success.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Until Edmonton fixes their ability to play in their own zone, no realistic goaltender will solve their problems.
Goalies tend to get blamed for defensive breakdowns and in Edmonton's case defensive indifference.
Not that the goaltending was adequate last night, but their inability to defend was on full display as well.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
They should of gone all in at trying to get Helle out of Winnipeg before he signed his new deal.

Why? So they can make Hellebuyck look like a minor league goalie? I also highly doubt Connor would want to go to Edmonton of all places.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Holy cow. One game in and people want the goalie to walk the plank.

I wouldn't give up on him yet, but if the Oilers have a weak spot goaltending and D may be it.

They'll come around, much to my chagrin as a Flames fan.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Just waive Campbell at this point. Either pay to dump him to a team like Arizona, but it may cost more than just a single 1st. Just eat the contract and send him to the minors. Frees up 5M in cap.

I would call Arizona and offer a trade for Durzi. Someting like Kulak + 2nd for Durzi. Saves the Oilers another 1M in cap space and they acquire a gritty RD that plays a tough game.

About 6M in cap, call up Anaheim. Gibson has a NTC but he may be willing to waive to come to Edmonton. It's a 6.4M contract, Edmonton can take on almost the entirety of that contract at that point, it shouldn't cost them a crazy amount. Maybe a 1st + a little ? McDavid/Drai's primes are worth more than a pick that's years away from being an NHLer.

All they need is stable average goaltending, Gibson can provide that and still has elite upside. He's been on a bad team for a while, if he can provide even average goaltending, Oilers can carry the offense and get it done.

Cannot waste 1 more year of McDavid.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Campbell wasn't the reason they lost last night nor was Skinner. Neither had a great game but good god did the defense leave them out to dry. Ceci, Kulak and Bouchard were all competing for the anti-Norris award.

Either way, Edmonton is right up against the cap and have little in the way of assets to dangle. Where are they getting the space to upgrade in net?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would take Campbell on the Sharks if the Oilers are willing to pay to make that happen. They'd have to take back one of Blackwood or Kahkonen as part of it so it wouldn't directly address their goaltending issues but it would probably create the flexibility to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad