Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread: 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The CFL draft is tomorrow and I'm partial to LB Singleton. If he's available with our first-rounder I hope the Esks look at him very seriously. Guy's a beast and a starting Canadian at the WIL- or SAM-backer position is a huge advantage.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
CFL draft goes today. Saskatchewan has been trying to trade down for multiple draft choices as they want more to restock the cupboard and there isn't a lot of separation in the top dozen or so ranked players. For that reason there is little interest but the Riders will keep trying today.

If they are successful the scuttlebutt is the most likely trade partners are Toronto, Edmonton and Ottawa. From the Esks the Riders have been asking for a package that includes a starting defensive back. The Esks haven't been willing to give up that package and are looking strongly at LB Alex Singleton, and I'd be ecstatic if we landed him but it's unlikely he'll make it to us. The Esks are trying to move up a bit from last draft choice in the first round.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
CFL draft goes today. Saskatchewan has been trying to trade down for multiple draft choices as they want more to restock the cupboard and there isn't a lot of separation in the top dozen or so ranked players. For that reason there is little interest but the Riders will keep trying today.

If they are successful the scuttlebutt is the most likely trade partners are Toronto, Edmonton and Ottawa. From the Esks the Riders have been asking for a package that includes a starting defensive back. The Esks haven't been willing to give up that package and are looking strongly at LB Alex Singleton, and I'd be ecstatic if we landed him but it's unlikely he'll make it to us. The Esks are trying to move up a bit from last draft choice in the first round.

Reading TSN today, they are calling this the best CFL Draft in a decade. Sounds like there's a lot of good talent this year. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to add a few extra picks, but not at the cost of breaking the core though.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Saskatchewan has been asking for our first- and second-rounders and two players. Patrick Watkins is one and I don't know the other or whether it's a roster player or a neg-lister. I think that's too much.

Toronto has offered its first two draft choices: Nos. 4 and 13, both of whom are higher than what we have in those rounds. This information is several days old now so the ask may have changed.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Saskatchewan has been asking for our first- and second-rounders and two players. Patrick Watkins is one and I don't know the other or whether it's a roster player or a neg-lister. I think that's too much.

Toronto has offered its first two draft choices: Nos. 4 and 13, both of whom are higher than what we have in those rounds. This information is several days old now so the ask may have changed.

TBH, Patrick Watkins I'd be ok with. He has done some bone-headed moves in the past that cost the team points. I mean, that's if we don't have a replacement for him...

phonyphreak

Apr 9, 2009

And what would Sask be giving up? Just First overall? LOL if that is what they want for the first overall pick , every other GM will laugh in their ear and hang up. This isn't the NHL or NFL

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
^ Yes, that's their asking price. It is far too much. Maybe the price drops in the next few hours.

The Riders offered No. 1 to Winnipeg for Nos. 9 and 10 but were refused. Ottawa is on the phone today with an offer for the No. 1. Rumour is they want my guy Singleton. If true, there is virtually no chance he makes it to us.

Hearing today that the Esks may take a safety in the first round. If true that would likely mean Taylor Loffler or Anthony Thompson. Loffler is elite and would likely go top four pick except he's been injury prone.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
^ Yes, that's their asking price. It is far too much. Maybe the price drops in the next few hours.

The Riders offered No. 1 to Winnipeg for Nos. 9 and 10 but were refused. Ottawa is on the phone today with an offer for the No. 1. Rumour is they want my guy Singleton. If true, there is virtually no chance he makes it to us.

Hearing today that the Esks may take a safety in the first round. If true that would likely mean Taylor Loffler or Anthony Thompson. Loffler is elite and would likely go top four pick except he's been injury prone.

Injury prone? Sounds like an Edmonton player to me! Sign me up! :laugh:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
With the sky-high asking price for No. 1 a few teams are now talking to the Lions about No. 3. Draft starts in 15 minutes. Stay tuned.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
@JDunk12 is tweeting the selections 30-45 seconds before Orridge announces them on TSN.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like the Esks went off the board as the guys they would've picked probably wouldn't have played anytime soon so they took guys that could end up in the NFL instead. Not a bad plan if you are happy with your Canadian talent.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Sounds like the Esks went off the board as the guys they would've picked probably wouldn't have played anytime soon so they took guys that could end up in the NFL instead. Not a bad plan if you are happy with your Canadian talent.

You have to hope that eventually some of these guys come back to the CFL, Hervey has struck out on guys he picked in other years that will most likely never be here. (Pazstor, Charles)

Worth the gamble though as you state at times when your Canadian talent is pretty sound as is.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, I dunno. I'm not a fan of those big risk-reward choices, especially in round 1.

This was a futures draft for us. Our first two choices (receiver Tevaun Smith and DB Arjen Colquhoun) have deals to attend NFL main camps. We may never see them up here. It hasn't worked out with Pazstor and Charles, as you mentioned. If a couple of these guys gets here one day, well...Smith's circus-catch highlights excite me. These are great players who would star up here.

Starting with the fifth round, receiver Doug Corby and LBs Doug Parrish and DJ Lalama could become good players.

phonyphreak

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah, I dunno. I'm not a fan of those big risk-reward choices, especially in round 1.

This was a futures draft for us. Our first two choices (receiver Tevaun Smith and DB Arjen Colquhoun) have deals to attend NFL main camps. We may never see them up here. It hasn't worked out with Pazstor and Charles, as you mentioned. If a couple of these guys gets here one day, well...Smith's circus-catch highlights excite me. These are great players who would star up here.

Starting with the fifth round, receiver Doug Corby and LBs Doug Parrish and DJ Lalama could become good players.

good thing Rotor shares info with you eh, makes u look good and knowledgeable

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
good thing Rotor shares info with you eh, makes u look good and knowledgeable

Haven't had any contact with Rotor in probably over a year.

Regarding our No. 1 Smith, Colts' GM Ryan Grigson (former CFL player, by the way) expects Tevaun Smith to make their team. They didn't draft a receiver and Smith got more to sign than any other free agent, which is a good indicator. Plus, he's a great athlete.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
CiR-2wdUUAAHVni.jpg

https://twitter.com/EdmontonEsks/status/730848530324054016

New Eskimo themed sports bar going in at YEG.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
so they are getting rid of the wall of honor names ringing the stadium for some bright ugly lighting between the two decks? I don't like, and don't see why it's needed.

Are they then going to create a display somewhere where we can see the names and read about the players who have been honored?

Good point. Where is the Wall of Honor if this is here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad