Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Hahahaha, nope. The others, yes.

The Vikings and Fighting Irish will eventually change after all those other ones, because somebody will then point out that only whites still have the privilege of their cultures being honoured by sports teams, and that just isn't fair. I can't help but wonder if I'll live long enough to hear that a bunch of sports teams from the early 21st century changed their team names due to racist fans no longer wanting Native American imagery on their uniforms, and that the rightful history must be restored. I wish I was joking.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The Vikings and Fighting Irish will eventually change after all those other ones, because somebody will then point out that only whites still have the privilege of their cultures being honoured by sports teams, and that just isn't fair. I can't help but wonder if I'll live long enough to hear that a bunch of sports teams from the early 21st century changed their team names due to racist fans no longer wanting Native American imagery on their uniforms, and that the rightful history must be restored. I wish I was joking.

Hmm, I didn’t think of that angle. Unfortunately I think you’re right, and that exact reason will be cited.

The second part I could see as well. Orwell would be amused.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Sports teams operated by Native Americans are free to use their iconography as they see fit, no one's opposing that.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
White liberal women call the shots in this city. And no, most of them don't watch football. They're behind their keyboards waiting for their next battle

Reactions: Skolman

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Man I cant believe how many people here are upset. It's really not a big deal and I'm excited to see what they come up with for a new name. Rebranding isnt the worst thing for this team.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sports teams operated by Native Americans are free to use their iconography as they see fit, no one's opposing that.

So what's the threshold, does the owner need to be 100% Native American heritage? 50%, 2%? Are Native American run teams disallowed from using a white guy in their logos? Telling somebody their choice of team name is limited based on their own race sounds pretty racist, don't you think?

Reactions: McRpro and Oilhawks

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Man I cant believe how many people here are upset. It's really not a big deal and I'm excited to see what they come up with for a new name. Rebranding isnt the worst thing for this team.

Their rebranding will sadly result in even more financial losses than before. I've talked to several season ticket holders and they will not be renewing in the future.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So what's the threshold, does the owner need to be 100% Native American heritage? 50%, 2%? Are Native American run teams disallowed from using a white guy in their logos? Telling somebody their choice of team name is limited based on their own race sounds pretty racist, don't you think?

There's no need for a "threshold", when you offend the people whose heritage you are claiming to honor you know you've went wrong.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
There's no need for a "threshold", when you offend the people whose heritage you are claiming to honor you know you've went wrong.

And around we go, more vague and ambiguous rhetoric. Next straight answer that comes from a name change proponent will be the first. Everyone has a different tolerance for what offends them. How many need to be offended before a change should occur? 1, 10, 5000? What about members of the culture that would be offended if name changed (like the 78% of Western Inuit that opposed the Eskimos name change)? Whose offense takes precedent?

Reactions: bellagiobob

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And around we go, more vague and ambiguous rhetoric. Next straight answer that comes from a name change proponent will be the first. Everyone has a different tolerance for what offends them. How many need to be offended before a change should occur? 1, 10, 5000? What about members of the culture that would be offended if name changed (like the 78% of Western Inuit that opposed the Eskimos name change)? Whose offense takes precedent?

When the share of people that find it personally offensive is in double digits you already know for certain it's a terrible choice of a name.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
When the share of people that find it personally offensive is in double digits you already know for certain it's a terrible choice of a name.

So 10%. Fair enough, I disagree with that, but everyone's entitled to their own benchmark.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Because its not just a change of a sports team name. Its the oh it hurt, oh it causes me pain fractious minority beating of a drum that involves everything. Way of life, economy, dirty Oil, endless blockades, endless protests. A lot of people are getting that Canada as a nation is ceasing to function. No less than that. This country is so dysfunction its incapable of having a viable economy. Everything is offensive, everything is protested, everything is potentially cancelled.

Looking beyond just the name here what really is occurring as Canada has ceased to be a democracy. its run by specious minority interests now.

With Govt that WANTS this because every lily livered made up social justice issue distracts from a country 1 trillion in debt, and in financial disaster. The powers that be want us to be thinking of rainbows and conversion therapy, and name changes all day. Oddly the media want it too. The real news is this country is done.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

how does one find a public domain name "personally offensive" what delusion is required to think such thing is personal slight?

Anybody choosing to be offended at this is offended all day and probably making a living at it like a lot of the professional protesters and SJW agents in present day. Who have it as their break and butter (pun intended) to whip mindless frenzy over anything.

Reactions: harpoon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Because its not just a change of a sports team name. Its the oh it hurt, oh it causes me pain fractious minority beating of a drum that involves everything. Way of life, economy, dirty Oil, endless blockades, endless protests. A lot of people are getting that Canada as a nation is ceasing to function. No less than that. This country is so dysfunction its incapable of having a viable economy. Everything is offensive, everything is protested, everything is potentially cancelled.

Looking beyond just the name here what really is occurring as Canada has ceased to be a democracy. its run by specious minority interests now.

With Govt that WANTS this because every lily livered made up social justice issue distracts from a country 1 trillion in debt, and in financial disaster. The powers that be want us to be thinking of rainbows and conversion therapy, and name changes all day. Oddly the media want it too. The real news is this country is done.

Yup. We used to be able to step away from all that bullshit to watch a football game. Can't even do that now without some SJW agenda being jammed down your throat.

I watched every single CFL game last season. Every one. And I plan on doing that again whenever the league restarts. But it is going to be damn hard to watch those first couple Edmonton games, just a massive kick in the nuts all over again.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
how does one find a public domain name "personally offensive" what delusion is required to think such thing is personal slight?

Anybody choosing to be offended at this is offended all day and probably making a living at it like a lot of the professional protesters and SJW agents in present day. Who have it as their break and butter (pun intended) to whip mindless frenzy over anything.

Reported to the RCMP you racist f***. :cool::cool::cool:

-sent from Android constructed from non slave labor using recycled materials from fair trade sources.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England

From experience of this kind of thing in the UK people get upset for a of 2 reasons.

1. They grew up in a multicultural area and hate that other people’s ethnicity/religion are being used by people who have no connection to those areas as a way of showing how progressive they are.

2. They believe that it’s actually the minority groups pushing something and see it as an attack on their way of life.

either way these mainly middle/upper class white groups cause significantly more racism than they stop. They create an issue to ‘solve’ it then leave those they were ‘helping’ to deal with the fall out.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Loving this thread today.

This cultural war is taking so many of our icons in society. Star Wars is gone to the other side. Comic books and comic book movies are gone to the other side. Now sports. It’s the fact that so much of our culture can’t be left alone it needs to be turned into a lecture instead of a discussion (or better yet - left alone!). In a discussion some of this nonsense can be silenced or ended almost immediately with stats or other facts. But these long tedious lectures self serving lectures just divide us.

I’m mad about the name change because many who have never had an interest in the CFL have insulted many older people by insinuating their hobby is racist. Older people don’t see it that way and some will be less inclined to go to games after this which will probably devastate this team and the CFL.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad