Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Actually if there are any "victims" here, it would be the 78% of Inuit who took great pride in the name and opposed the change. So much for that. Their opinions were discarded like trash. But some white SJWs who don't care about football can feel warm and fuzzy about themselves now and wake up tomorrow morning fresh and ready to go demonize the Chicago Blackhawks now.

That’s what I thought as well, the real losers in all this will be the Inuit. One less platform for discussion, one less entity engaging them. The liberal white guilt groups will just move on to the next one.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That’s what I thought as well, the real losers in all this will be the Inuit. One less platform for discussion, one less entity engaging them. The liberal white guilt groups will just move on to the next one.
As they say, "Our work here is done."

FiftyFifty

Mar 13, 2018
Hmm, not supporting a team because of a name change? Sounding kind of flakey to me.
Beak as much as you like bro. Mark my words. With all the shit going on right with cancel culture, the Real people who fund this kind of stuff are simply losing interest. Unfortunately changing the name won’t sell a single additional ticket. But it is another reason for me not to bother making the 2 hour drive because obviously my opinion doesn’t matter.
Just watched Ryan Rishaug talk about this on CTV. How can he get away with saying such a terrible slur about 10 times in a 60 second segment?

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Beak as much as you like bro. Mark my words. With all the shit going on right with cancel culture, the Real people who fund this kind of stuff are simply losing interest. Unfortunately changing the name won’t sell a single additional ticket. But it is another reason for me not to bother making the 2 hour drive because obviously my opinion doesn’t matter.
Just watched Ryan Rishaug talk about this on CTV. How can he get away with saying such a terrible slur about 10 times in a 60 second segment?

Why do you assume this decision was made with hate revenues as the driving factor?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Maybe its not about me.

Which is why I added "or any other human on the planet". Come on, enough beating around bush. Who is waking up tomorrow to better circumstances than they woke up to today? Let's hear some real examples. No bullshit buzz words, no "because it's 2020", no "it was time for a change", no "society is progressing". I want actual examples of tangible betterment that removal of the team name has provided.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Which is why I added "or any other human on the planet". Come on, enough beating around bush. Who is waking up tomorrow to better circumstances than they woke up to today? Let's hear some real examples. No bullshit buzz words, no "because it's 2020", no "it was time for a change", no "society is progressing". I want actual examples of tangible betterment that removal of the team name has provided.
I counter. Whose lives are made worse by this? It's a name.
At the end of the day it really doesn't matter.

Maybe the team can use a name change to maybe start making money again and change their marketing strategy? Probably not though

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Redskins were blatantly offensive and should've changed. I don't feel the same way about the Eskimos.

But again I don't really care all that much about team names either.

Speaking of the Esks, can I lose this crappy avatar already?
Didn’t the “Eskimos” need to win another game for you to drop that avatar? I think you’re stuck with it forever now.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I guarentee this name change will hurt the Eskimos more than it will help them.

Like I said before, a heavy majority of these SJW's don't even watch sports.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I dont have a lot of friends from that community so I cant answer. The research seems to indicate there is potentially harm from this stuff. I hope this is a step towards helping. If you need specific names of people I cant help you.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I guarentee this name change will hurt the Eskimos more than it will help them.

Like I said before, a heavy majority of these SJW's don't even watch sports.

Thankfully this wasnt about the team or its fans

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
"Although the name "Eskimo" was commonly used in Alaska to refer to Inuit and Yupik people of the world, this usage is now considered unacceptable by many or even most Alaska Natives, largely since it is a colonial name imposed by non-Indigenous people. Alaska Natives increasingly prefer to be known by the names they use in their own languages, such as Inupiaq or Yupik. "Inuit" is now the current term in Alaska and across the Arctic, and "Eskimo" is fading from use. The Inuit Circumpolar Council prefers the term "Inuit" but some other organizations use "Eskimo"."

Literally the first thing that came up when I googled it...

Can all the "snowflake boomers" and SRWs dry their tears, and grow a set instead of whining like a 3 year old toddler.

Side note, SRW stands for social regressive warrior. Clearly a not too funny play on words. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad