Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v6

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I wonder if he didn't see eye to eye with Milanovich.

Rumor is he had a sick family member back home and he's headed back there to be a caregiver. I wish him well. As a previously retired coach from the University system, you'd think he's probably hanging up the clipboard on his career.

For the DC role, there are some good candidates out there in Thorpe and Claybrooks. Chamblin as bad of a head coach that he is, he's a decent DC. Milanovich has experience with Casey Creehan.

In the longshot category, there are no more HC positions available so if Jones shakes free, even he could become a one year option.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'd take the big fella that looks like he got sideswiped by a bus and it knocked his hat off kilter.

Reactions: Cloned

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I knew it was going to happen eventually lol.

You beat me to the punch.

Good news for the Als = new owners
Bad news for the Als = immediately hire DM as general manager

I will never forget the Tsoumpas and McGrath trades which make the Hall-Larsson trade look brilliant by comparison.

In other CFL news, there is so much ambiguity surrounding the rules regarding "NFL" signing window(s) for CFL players that even the GMs confess that they don't understand it-- (google CFL news for some team comments). As a result they are basically just releasing players so they can take their opportunities in the U.S.

I notice that Usher is getting a shot down south.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It took ten years, but another franchise has finally been duped into letting Danny take a blowtorch to the entire operation. It's hilarious seeing some CFL media people tout this as a big get for the Als. I'll give him some credit for building a solid university program, but that is in no way, shape, or form indicative that he's qualified to be a CFL GM (again). His eye for talent was simply atrocious in his first stint, and being out of the league entirely for 10 years has me seriously doubting that he has any kind of scouting connections down south to bring in the elite import talent that is vital to any success. If Vernon Adams regresses next year, Montreal is in trouble, unless Danny manages to upgrade the roster elsewhere, which would be a first for him.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Good news for Danny this time around is that the quality of his peers around the league has dropped significantly from where it was when he was in Edmonton. He may not stand out anymore.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Good news for Danny this time around is that the quality of his peers around the league has dropped significantly from where it was when he was in Edmonton. He may not stand out anymore.

As Freddie Mercury said when someone pointed out that he had bad teeth-- Well, I'm from England-I don't want to stand out- do I?

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
What in the bologna ... Macocia is back coaching in the CFL? Never forget his premature celebration in the grey cup

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
While I have vivid bad memories of Danny Maciocia's reign of error with the Eskimos, I'm not entirely convinced that he will be a horrible hire by the Als. The guy has paid his dues building a successful program at the U-Sports level and he's a highly motivated Montreal guy. I'm aware that's no guarantee for success in the CFL but it's not surprising to me that his hometown team got around to giving him a shot. One leg-up he has compared to when he became the Eskimos' GM is that this time he has a solid Head Coach already in place.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
While I have vivid bad memories of Danny Maciocia's reign of error with the Eskimos, I'm not entirely convinced that he will be a horrible hire by the Als. The guy has paid his dues building a successful program at the U-Sports level and he's a highly motivated Montreal guy. I'm aware that's no guarantee for success in the CFL but it's not surprising to me that his hometown team got around to giving him a shot. One leg-up he has compared to when he became the Eskimos' GM is that this time he has a solid Head Coach already in place.

This seems to be the overriding sentiment in the media. Does this really translate to building a pro organization though? Not IMO. Quebec has the strongest grassroots/amateur football culture in the country. Finding elite players to play for U Montreal shouldn't exactly be challenging, but still I can give him due credit for building them into a relevant national contender. Would I trust Danny to bring in the guys from the deep south that you need to play defense and the skill positions in the CFL though? Not at all. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but what scouting connections down in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc can he possibly have at this point?

Maybe he'll take the Kavis Reed approach. Let the Stampeders/Hufnagel recruit all those guys, then sign them a couple years later when they become free agents.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This seems to be the overriding sentiment in the media. Does this really translate to building a pro organization though? Not IMO. Quebec has the strongest grassroots/amateur football culture in the country. Finding elite players to play for U Montreal shouldn't exactly be challenging, but still I can give him due credit for building them into a relevant national contender. Would I trust Danny to bring in the guys from the deep south that you need to play defense and the skill positions in the CFL though? Not at all. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but what scouting connections down in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc can he possibly have at this point?

Maybe he'll take the Kavis Reed approach. Let the Stampeders/Hufnagel recruit all those guys, then sign them a couple years later when they become free agents.

Yes, I think this is bang on the money. To be a good GM in the CFL you need to have the American connections especially when you have to turn over your roster by 50% every year.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Yes, I think this is bang on the money. To be a good GM in the CFL you need to have the American connections especially when you have to turn over your roster by 50% every year.
Absolutely true. In the 1960's the Eskimos floundered for awhile under fledgling Canadian GM Norm Kimball. Things turned around when he found a great Canadian scout (Frank Morris) and an equally great one in the U.S. (Ray Newman). As far as I can remember Maciocia worked pretty well with Paul Jones during his Eskimos days and while Jones is already employed, there's nothing stopping the two from at least chatting re. connections. Among Danny's problems here was that he seemed to almost disregard the importance of securing strong Canadian players. Several good years in the Canadian college game game could possibly help DM with that issue going forward.

Again, I'm not guaranteeing that Maciocia will be a great hire for Montreal. I just wanted to introduce the idea that his getting the Als' job is not completely without merit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I am good with Thorpe as DC.

Milanovich is HC, OC, QB coach and Special teams Assistant.
He has a lot on his plate.

They might hire more coaches, according to the press release. My guess is they’ll hire a special teams assistant and possibly a QB coach, although Milanovich might want that latter role.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They might hire more coaches, according to the press release. My guess is they’ll hire a special teams assistant and possibly a QB coach, although Milanovich might want that latter role.

I hope he trims it down to HC and OC.
That is still a massive amount of work but at least its doable.

What he has now is a problem IMO.

Reactions: Cloned

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I hope he trims it down to HC and OC.
That is still a massive amount of work but at least its doable.

What he has now is a problem IMO.
Makes sense, I wonder if it's those roles for now to evaluate the remaining folks as well as to be more in control of the future hires.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I hate the Als dirty f***ing team so this is gold to me. I love watching them lose and Macciocia is just the best thing..

Is Danny clueless still getting jobs because of his McGill connections?

In Montreal its always like yesteryear where only the past happened..

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I hate the Als dirty ****ing team so this is gold to me. I love watching them lose and Macciocia is just the best thing..

Is Danny clueless still getting jobs because of his McGill connections?

In Montreal its always like yesteryear where only the past happened..
He wasn't at McGill, rather Montreal carabin where he did a great job.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad