Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oh, it gets plenty of mention. There is definitely chatter out West suggesting that the CFL should scrap divisions and just rank the teams #1-9. So far commissioner Ambrosie has been fast-acting and seemingly open to new ideas (talked about starting the season 3 weeks earlier so that it isn't so cold late in the year), hopefully he's listening to this idea. It's ridiculous that as a 12-6 team our path to the Grey Cup was a road win over another 12-6 team, followed by a road game against a 13-4-1 team. While 9-9 Toronto's path was a home game against a 10-8 team. Toronto and Ottawa winning the last two Grey Cups, funny as it was to see Calgary choke, is a bit of a joke.
I guess there are two questions I have

First, what was the viewership from Eastern Canada for this game? Would it go down with no Eastern team in the Grey Cup?

Second, NFL plays playoff games in January. They've even had games in places such as Detroit for the Superbowl which aren't always a guarantee to be nice. So I guess my question is whether or not weather is a legit excuse to start early or not

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
There has only been one cold weather city outdoor Super Bowl and that was XLVIII in East Rutherford NJ (NYC) in 2014. Super Bowls (past & future) in Detroit (2), Minneapolis (2) & Indianapolis (1) were or will be held in indoor stadiums. The coldest 2 Super Bowls VI & IX were played at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, which were both on colder days (4 & 8 degrees C) than what they had in New Jersey (9 degrees C) a few years ago.

Cold weather is more of a consideration from the CFL's perspective than it's ever been. The lifted TV blackouts of games and the overall p***yfication of our society has helped cut into stadium attendance in both the CFL & NFL. Even Esks season ticket lifers like me (since 1971) aren't that excited at the prospect of a freezing cold playoff game or Grey Cup at Commonwealth. Been there, done that enough times already.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There has only been one cold weather city outdoor Super Bowl and that was XLVIII in East Rutherford NJ (NYC) in 2014. Super Bowls (past & future) in Detroit (2), Minneapolis (2) & Indianapolis (1) were or will be held in indoor stadiums. The coldest 2 Super Bowls VI & IX were played at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, which were both on colder days (4 & 8 degrees C) than what they had in New Jersey (9 degrees C) a few years ago.

Cold weather is more of a consideration from the CFL's perspective than it's ever been. The lifted TV blackouts of games and the overall *****fication of our society has helped cut into stadium attendance in both the CFL & NFL. Even Esks season ticket lifers like me (since 1971) aren't that excited at the prospect of a freezing cold playoff game or Grey Cup at Commonwealth. Been there, done that enough times already.
I've never got cold at a GC here, been to them all at Commonwealth, and some antifreeze helps.. Regardless of what the temp is outside I find it somewhat warmer in the stadium even with all the people there. Provided you are sitting in a lower seat somewhat protected by wind its not so bad. Up on the top bleachers might be a bit tougher with a cold wind. Gotta be properly dressed, parka, and everything and we use sleeping bag as blanket and we're even toasty.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
So if society is being p***yfied and you admit that you don't want to sit outside in a freezing cold playoff game either, does that make you a p***y?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

First, what was the viewership from Eastern Canada for this game? Would it go down with no Eastern team in the Grey Cup?

Second, NFL plays playoff games in January. They've even had games in places such as Detroit for the Superbowl which aren't always a guarantee to be nice. So I guess my question is whether or not weather is a legit excuse to start early or not

Detroit plays in a covered stadium.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes have one league no divisions, but don't start the season earlier. Maybe play always play in domed stadiums for the GCs.

The problem with playing the GC game exclusivly in a domed stadium is that there are only 3 of them in the entire country, and they happen to be in places that the CFL struggles at the gate. Would never work and goes against the league moving the event around.

Start the season earlier.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
BC is hiring Hervey as GM.

Good move for the Leos. Hervey should still be here.

Cue the west getting even more competitive over the next couple years.

Its too bad the Esks spawn Jones, Hervey to other clubs and get dreck like Benefeces in return.

We now have a better coach, and a better GM, than what we have, with other clubs in the West.

But hey, Maas, Sunderland and Rhodes Scholar. What could go wrong..

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m pretty sure I got eskimo tickets for buying a slurpee once.. this was 10 years ago though
Lots of teams in lots of leagues use promotions to give tickets away, there is nothing wrong with that. What happened in Toronto last year was disgraceful. The organizers of the Grey Cup game set the ticket prices at the highest level they ever have before. They sold at that price to out of town fans. Few in Toronto bought the remaining tickets and there were so many unsold the week of the game they were giving them away with pizza orders just to try and fill the empty seats. That would never happen in Edmonton, Calgary, Regina or Winnipeg.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Detroit uses a dome.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I found it interesting that Hervey made a point of telling the Lions media that he’s never denied media access to the coaches or players. Somebody here did. If it was just Jones then why didn’t it improve after he left?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I'm not sure what viewership was like in Eastern Canada specifically. But I don't personally subscribe to the theory that no Eastern team in the Grey Cup would mean nobody out there would watch. 7 out of 9 fan bases are always not represented in the game, millions of people still watch.

I think weather is a very legitimate excuse. Is it more comfortable to sit at an outdoor stadium in June or November? Attendance generally starts to drop off by the end of the season, and it's not hard to believe cold temperatures are the biggest reason why. I've long felt that the Grey Cup ought to be played on the first Sunday in November, not the last.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I found it interesting that Hervey made a point of telling the Lions media that he’s never denied media access to the coaches or players. Somebody here did. If it was just Jones then why didn’t it improve after he left?

Do we know for sure that it didnt improve after he left? Do we even know if it improved after Hervey left?

I think the media access angle was nothing more than a smokescreen for Len (Beta male) Rhodes because he was too insecure with Hervey as GM. Firing Hervey gave Rhodes some job security.
Just my opinion.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Do we know for sure that it didnt improve after he left? Do we even know if it improved after Hervey left?

I think the media access angle was nothing more than a smokescreen for Len (Beta male) Rhodes because he was too insecure with Hervey as GM. Firing Hervey gave Rhodes some job security.
Just my opinion.

Jason Gregor has basically come right out and said that Ed Hervey got fired because Len Rhodes wasn't going to tolerate the GM making more money than him. Presumably Hervey, who is a weekly in-studio guest on his show, told him so.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jason Gregor has basically come right out and said that Ed Hervey got fired because Len Rhodes wasn't going to tolerate the GM making more money than him. Presumably Hervey, who is a weekly in-studio guest on his show, told him so.

Heard rumors about this...thanks for confirming.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Its clear that Rhodes was trying to spin a bullshit story after he fired Hervey.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Heard rumors about this...thanks for confirming.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Its clear that Rhodes was trying to spin a bull**** story after he fired Hervey.

Rhodes isn't fit to run a lemonade stand. No idea how the Board of Directors manages to dig up these clowns. Rick Lelacheur, who gave Danny the keys to the kingdom and let him burn it to the ground. And now this idiot.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, I have said before and will say again, Sean Fleming should have had the job as club President.

But again, the politically correct crowd said "how unfair to have an ex-Eskimo player in there"-- let's get a guy with the physique and football knowledge of Homer Simpson. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: Del Preston

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Well, I have said before and will say again, Sean Fleming should have had the job as club President.

But again, the politically correct crowd said "how unfair to have an ex-Eskimo player in there"-- let's get a guy with the physique and football knowledge of Homer Simpson. Mission accomplished.

How does one get to be on the Board of Directors? I had a look at the list of them and there's no one that looks like they have any other connection to football. Had a further look online and see that they all have business acumen but it all seems like they have no clear focus beyond the business end. It seems like they just hire whoever has the better interview.

Rhodes himself has no football background. He may have a good corporate background but that only works well in the boardroom, not on the field. Before that, Rick LaLacheur, again, had no football experience. It looks like the role of President and CEO is almost entirely focused on the business end, with the football end being delegated off and having little say. No wonder that the team goes through extended stretches of mediocrity.

The change that needs to be made is to separate the business and football sides and name a President of Business Operations and a President of Football Operations, both of whom run their own ends and are answerable to the BOD only, not to only one side.

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
How does one get to be on the Board of Directors? I had a look at the list of them and there's no one that looks like they have any other connection to football. Had a further look online and see that they all have business acumen but it all seems like they have no clear focus beyond the business end. It seems like they just hire whoever has the better interview.

Rhodes himself has no football background. He may have a good corporate background but that only works well in the boardroom, not on the field. Before that, Rick LaLacheur, again, had no football experience. It looks like the role of President and CEO is almost entirely focused on the business end, with the football end being delegated off and having little say. No wonder that the team goes through extended stretches of mediocrity.

The change that needs to be made is to separate the business and football sides and name a President of Business Operations and a President of Football Operations, both of whom run their own ends and are answerable to the BOD only, not to only one side.

I have been saying the exact same thing for years. There are many ex-football players who have great business acumen but I don't know of a single one who has sat on the EE BOD within the last decade.

The BOD circuit in Alberta is pretty simple. A friend gets you onto one board and then pretty soon you are on 6 or 7 boards. I don't think knowledge of the subject matter counts for much but the bottom line is that you end up on a number of boards and can easily earn a 7 figure annual salary (not with the EE board- public ownership mind you probably volunteer) without turning a wheel. 100 buck lunches and 500 buck dinners are also a perk, courtesy of the shareholder.

Sometimes the BOD positions pay very little but act as the entry point for the bigger BOD jobs that are very lucrative. It's been a big issue in Calgary during the oil bust. While share prices have been hammered many of these positions routinely pay 250k per year. Not much you can do about it. Go to one of these annual meetings and even question this stuff and see what happens:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If the league can find a good one in Randy Ambrosie, I'm sure the Eskimos should be able to find one locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad