Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'm not sure what viewership was like in Eastern Canada specifically. But I don't personally subscribe to the theory that no Eastern team in the Grey Cup would mean nobody out there would watch. 7 out of 9 fan bases are always not represented in the game, millions of people still watch.

I think weather is a very legitimate excuse. Is it more comfortable to sit at an outdoor stadium in June or November? Attendance generally starts to drop off by the end of the season, and it's not hard to believe cold temperatures are the biggest reason why. I've long felt that the Grey Cup ought to be played on the first Sunday in November, not the last.
Keep the schedule as is and play the GC only in domed stadiums in November.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

This is a terrible idea, the Prairie cities (the lifeblood of the CFL) would never get a Grey Cup, they would all be hosted by the three weakest markets. BC didn't sell out their last Grey Cup, and Toronto had to give away tickets free with a pizza order last year just to fill up BMO Field, never mind the Skyome. And I'm not even sure if the Big O is still fit to host a Grey Cup.

Besides tradition, what is the reason the keep the schedule as is? Sitting outside in June instead of November seems like an easy choice for me.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is a terrible idea, the Prairie cities (the lifeblood of the CFL) would never get a Grey Cup, they would all be hosted by the three weakest markets. BC didn't sell out their last Grey Cup, and Toronto had to give away tickets free with a pizza order last year just to fill up BMO Field, never mind the Skyome. And I'm not even sure if the Big O is still fit to host a Grey Cup.

Besides tradition, what is the reason the keep the schedule as is? Sitting outside in June instead of November seems like an easy choice for me.

The decision to keep it a Fall sport is largely due to the American influence in the game. In the U.S. you can't really play football in 120 degree Summer weather and that's a big chunk of where that thinking comes from but of course it defies logic here in Canada. Canadian T.V. has always marketed football as a Fall sport (since the 1950's) in keeping with Big Brother American tradition(s). Hockey in winter, baseball in spring and football in late summer/fall. Yawn, maybe time for a change but of course hockey is now a mid June sport as well.

As for the domed stadiums well as people have said you are basically rewarding weakening franchises. The Argos are in serious trouble at the gate (never mind filling SkyDome) and the Lions aren't far behind. The Esks don't have a dome but they are also in turbulent waters.

There is just so much resistance to change in the CFL. The analogy I draw is Shaw Cable's refusal to drop their outrageous cable prices even when they note that Netflix is all but taking over the market. You can't just ignore how the World and its buying habits are changing otherwise we would still be in the horse and buggy era. The CFL has been so slow to embrace any kind of changes. Long after credit cards took over from cash the EE ticket office still preferred cash or cheque. Guys here on the thread are too young to remember this stuff but its an example of resistance that was inexplicable.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Like I said before, this is how the league used to operate. It’s already been proven to be a bad idea and this was when the league had better popularity in those cities than it does now.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Two CFL fumbles made the list of all-time best fumbles and they're both totally awesome choices for Eskimos fans. Hint: one happened a couple of weeks go.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Whyte signed through 2020

Whyte is an important signing because we haven't had too much luck with other kickers in the last decade.

I see that the D-line coach Creehan is leaving the team. I guess that is not unexpected given our inability to stop the run and our intermittent pass rush heat.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Whyte is an important signing because we haven't had too much luck with other kickers in the last decade.

I see that the D-line coach Creehan is leaving the team. I guess that is not unexpected given our inability to stop the run and our intermittent pass rush heat.
He took a dream job.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
At least Sask didn't get him.

Oh well, guess we're back to 'ohshit ohshit', whenever Reilly limps off the field.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I wouldn't say that Reilly is especially injury prone. The only season where he missed a lot of games was 2015.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Had to get what we could for him.

The Eskimos weren't ever going to move on from Reilly, he just put up an MOP season.

I like Franklin too but get real.

Reactions: nabob

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I wouldn't say that Reilly is especially injury prone. The only season where he missed a lot of games was 2015.
Someone at the QB position that has taken that much punishment and is his age will start fading fast.

We saw it near the middle of this past season, he had a little bit of a second wind and got his mojo back near the end, but the signs are there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Someone at the QB position that has taken that much punishment and is his age will start fading fast.

We saw it near the middle of this past season, he had a little bit of a second wind and got his mojo back near the end, but the signs are there.

Not really true. QBs have more longevity in the CFL than any position besides kicker.

What signs are you speaking of? Because according to everyone he was a MOP level player last season.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
whats worse, Maas making the idiotic call in the last minute , or Woodcroft for running the PP. Its too close to call !

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
whats worse, Maas making the idiotic call in the last minute , or Woodcroft for running the PP. Its too close to call !
One was a bad call in the heat of the moment. The other is consistently awful and actually planned that way. What do you think lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Had to get what we could for him.

The Eskimos weren't ever going to move on from Reilly, he just put up an MOP season.

I like Franklin too but get real.

I'm the biggest Reilly fan here, and as much as I've defended the style of play we are potentially one hit away from going back to nowhere land as far as QB position.

So that we've now given the Argos Ray and Franklin so that now have the ability to do what the Esks should have done in the first place. That is to ease Franklin into a tandem assignment with Reilly similar to how the Esks worked Wilkinson and Moon. That was always the best play, the most sensible play, now the Argos will be doing that. Hopefully not in the Grey Cup we are hosting next fall.

This is the picture perfect situation for the Argos. An aging Ray in last season(s) and imo the best young QB in the league.

We get an Olineman and a 3rd round pick out of this? We give up Franklin and its not at least a first round pick?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm the biggest Reilly fan here, and as much as I've defended the style of play we are potentially one hit away from going back to nowhere land as far as QB position.

So that we've now given the Argos Ray and Franklin so that now have the ability to do what the Esks should have done in the first place. That is to ease Franklin into a tandem assignment with Reilly similar to how the Esks worked Wilkinson and Moon. That was always the best play, the most sensible play, now the Argos will be doing that. Hopefully not in the Grey Cup we are hosting next fall.

This is the picture perfect situation for the Argos. An aging Ray in last season(s) and imo the best young QB in the league.

We get an Olineman and a 3rd round pick out of this? We give up Franklin and its not at least a first round pick?
No, we gave up a third-round pick.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This should ease the stress level a bit.

"While the Argos won the Franklin lottery amid interest from at least three other teams, including the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Montreal Alouettes and Hamilton Tiger-Cats, there is no immediate guarantee of a payout as Franklin is currently focused on working out for as many National Football League clubs that will see him before he commits to another term up north.
When and if he signs with the Argos, who now have his exclusive negotiating rights, it is expected there will be further compensation coming Edmonton’s way on top of the details announced Tuesday."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad