Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The CP Grey Cup thread has become so entertaining these last couple of days. It almost makes me forget Maas' boneheaded call.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Kinda said the opposite today.

Might not be a horrid situation. Go out on top

I agree.
Hall of fame QB...one of the best ever in the CFL retiring after a Grey Cup win. I cant think of a better way to go out.

Wouldnt surprise me if he was coaching in some capacity next season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree.
Hall of fame QB...one of the best ever in the CFL retiring after a Grey Cup win. I cant think of a better way to go out.

Lol, pull Maas for Ray

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So what does Sunday's win do for CFL in Toronto?

They going to get the attendance numbers up now that they won?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I agree.

I think he would look real good as the EE head coach.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Kinda said the opposite today.

Might not be a horrid situation. Go out on top
If you're referring to his interview on TSN1260 I heard only part of that and missed any mention of that. His agent says RR is 70 per cent likely to return. If I was betting I'd bet he plays next season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So what does Sunday's win do for CFL in Toronto?

They going to get the attendance numbers up now that they won?

I wouldn't be holding my breath but the CFL sure hopes so. I would hold out greater hopes of An Atlantic Canada team based in Halifax by 2020 then I would in Toronto attendance surging.

This hardly gets any mention but how odd is it that two years running now an Eastern team wins the cup and in both instances afairc neither would have even made the playoffs in the West. The East clubs can just coast through the season, heat it up for a handful of games, and win the cup. Western clubs have to knock themselves out all summer just getting to postseason.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wouldn't be holding my breath but the CFL sure hopes so. I would hold out greater hopes of An Atlantic Canada team based in Halifax by 2020 then I would in Toronto attendance surging.

This hardly gets any mention but how odd is it that two years running now an Eastern team wins the cup and in both instances afairc neither would have even made the playoffs in the West. The East clubs can just coast through the season, heat it up for a handful of games, and win the cup. Western clubs have to knock themselves out all summer just getting to postseason.

The eastern teams all cheer for Calgary to come out of the west.:laugh:

As for this Grey Cup driving attendence in the Big Smoke, I have my doubts. There will be a short term love affair, and by January, they will be all but forgotten except by a few diehards, once again. Come Blew Jays training camp, see ya, hardly knew ya.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Could be worse. At least the fourth place Western team can qualify for the cross over now. As you know, it wasn’t always that way.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Oh, it gets plenty of mention. There is definitely chatter out West suggesting that the CFL should scrap divisions and just rank the teams #1-9. So far commissioner Ambrosie has been fast-acting and seemingly open to new ideas (talked about starting the season 3 weeks earlier so that it isn't so cold late in the year), hopefully he's listening to this idea. It's ridiculous that as a 12-6 team our path to the Grey Cup was a road win over another 12-6 team, followed by a road game against a 13-4-1 team. While 9-9 Toronto's path was a home game against a 10-8 team. Toronto and Ottawa winning the last two Grey Cups, funny as it was to see Calgary choke, is a bit of a joke.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oh, it gets plenty of mention. There is definitely chatter out West suggesting that the CFL should scrap divisions and just rank the teams #1-9. So far commissioner Ambrosie has been fast-acting and seemingly open to new ideas (talked about starting the season 3 weeks earlier so that it isn't so cold late in the year), hopefully he's listening to this idea. It's ridiculous that as a 12-6 team our path to the Grey Cup was a road win over another 12-6 team, followed by a road game against a 13-4-1 team. While 9-9 Toronto's path was a home game against a 10-8 team. Toronto and Ottawa winning the last two Grey Cups, funny as it was to see Calgary choke, is a bit of a joke.
Yes have one league no divisions, but don't start the season earlier. Maybe play always play in domed stadiums for the GCs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yes have one league no divisions, but don't start the season earlier. Maybe play always play in domed stadiums for the GCs.
No, not only is exclusively playing Grey Cup games in domed stadiums a bad idea but that’s how the league used to operate. It meant it was either held in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver every year. Those are the three worst cities in the league for Grey Cup atmosphere. It wasn’t until the league started venturing into the prairies when Grey Cup weekend started being fun again. Those cities are excited to host it. Start the season earlier so the people who care about the game have better weather to enjoy it. Committing it to cities that need to give tickets away with pizza orders to get rid of them is the worst idea yet.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
No, not only is exclusively playing Grey Cup games in domed stadiums a bad idea but that’s how the league used to operate. It meant it was either held in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver every year. Those are the three worst cities in the league for Grey Cup atmosphere. It wasn’t until the league started venturing into the prairies when Grey Cup weekend started being fun again. Those cities are excited to host it. Start the season earlier so the people who care about the game have better weather to enjoy it. Committing it to cities that need to give tickets away with pizza orders to get rid of them is the worst idea yet.
I’m pretty sure I got eskimo tickets for buying a slurpee once.. this was 10 years ago though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain