Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
I've talked to two execs from other CFL teams with no love for the Esks. They didn't defend that decision late in the west final but Maas is respected and, they say, a good coach, or will be once he gains experience. If available he'd be scooped up. I hated that decision, too, but he'll develop. Yeah, I know he didn't admit he was wrong and I think he should.
He is an ass. His consistent ranting and raving on the sidelines does not project leadership. He is a clownshoes coach.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm hearing that the Esks really like this Zachary Barnes kid, who may be used as a tweener on the defensive line or at linebacker.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
He is an ass. His consistent ranting and raving on the sidelines does not project leadership. He is a clownshoes coach.
I get why some fans and media see it that way but, from everything I've seen/heard, Maas' players remain firmly behind their coach. Their measured reaction to his absurdly misguided decision in last year's West Final spoke volumes. I'm very curious to see if this year's younger edition of the Esks can stay in the hunt in the always-tough CFL West. My gut feeling is that they will. I know it doesn't fit with the primarily negative tone of this thread but I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming season, as are the other 4 people on our season ticket account who renewed without hesitation.

Reactions: bone
Oct 15, 2008
I get why some fans and media see it that way but, from everything I've seen/heard, Maas' players remain firmly behind their coach. Their measured reaction to his absurdly misguided decision in last year's West Final spoke volumes. I'm very curious to see if this year's younger edition of the Esks can stay in the hunt in the always-tough CFL West. My gut feeling is that they will. I know it doesn't fit with the primarily negative tone of this thread but I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming season, as are the other 4 people on our season ticket account who renewed without hesitation.
I was a fan of Jason as a player, I thought he was a good hire as head coach. His out of control sideline tirades and his baffling decisions along with his unwillingness to own up to obvious gaffes- he lost me. I believe we will continue to see more of the same. He won't change.

Reactions: Gord

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I was a fan of Jason as a player, I thought he was a good hire as head coach. His out of control sideline tirades and his baffling decisions along with his unwillingness to own up to obvious gaffes- he lost me. I believe we will continue to see more of the same. He won't change.
I disagree re. the tirades and I think circumstances and experience will force Jason to change. Re-assuming his role as Offensive Coordinator will keep him too busy for blow-ups, which were ugly to be sure but not as frequent as you're making them out to be. As for the baffling decision, I don't care if Maas owned up to it at the time. What good would that have done other than giving angry fans a pound of flesh? I just hope that he's learned from it going forward. The important part to me is that the players are still on board with their coach and there is no reason to think that they aren't.

Oct 15, 2008
A man who can admit he made a mistake is humble. It shows character. People who can't admit they made a mistake are very hard to deal with. They tend to alienate those around them and cause resentment. Not qualities that make for good leadership. Add to that the immature tantrums and it exacerbates an already poor environment. This was evidenced by the lack of discipline on the field by the players last year. Repeated stupid and undisciplined penalties that cost the team games. I'm making this up or exaggerating things. These are facts and it was readily apparent and commented on repeatedly throughout the games last season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I disagree re. the tirades and I think circumstances and experience will force Jason to change. Re-assuming his role as Offensive Coordinator will keep him too busy for blow-ups, which were ugly to be sure but not as frequent as you're making them out to be. As for the baffling decision, I don't care if Maas owned up to it at the time. What good would that have done other than giving angry fans a pound of flesh? I just hope that he's learned from it going forward. The important part to me is that the players are still on board with their coach and there is no reason to think that they aren't.
I don’t read much into players saying little publicly about his gaffe in the playoff game. He’s the coach and he was backed by his bosses. There wasn’t much upside in speaking out for those smart enough to read a room. Interesting though that a lot of veterans moved on. That’ll give Mass even more power going forward as the rookies won’t know anything different than doing things his way. I think this season will show how good or bad he is as a coach. It’ll be more his team and if he does well it’ll show he can overcome adversity with a new team. If he does poorly then that’s what he is.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don’t read much into players saying little publicly about his gaffe in the playoff game. He’s the coach and he was backed by his bosses. There wasn’t much upside in speaking out for those smart enough to read a room. Interesting though that a lot of veterans moved on. That’ll give Mass even more power going forward as the rookies won’t know anything different than doing things his way. I think this season will show how good or bad he is as a coach. It’ll be more his team and if he does well it’ll show he can overcome adversity with a new team. If he does poorly then that’s what he is.
A bunch of the veterans that moved on weren’t worth their pay anymore, not cause of Maas it that’s what you were implying

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A man who can admit he made a mistake is humble. It shows character. People who can't admit they made a mistake are very hard to deal with. They tend to alienate those around them and cause resentment. Not qualities that make for good leadership. Add to that the immature tantrums and it exacerbates an already poor environment. This was evidenced by the lack of discipline on the field by the players last year. Repeated stupid and undisciplined penalties that cost the team games. I'm making this up or exaggerating things. These are facts and it was readily apparent and commented on repeatedly throughout the games last season.

I agree with this. The example set by a coach filters down throughout the team.

In terms of describing Jason I would even take it once step further...you have basically described a Narcissist. Narcissists have extreme difficulty taking ownership of anything that might paint them in a bad light. They also have extreme difficulty with self reflection.
That fits Jason to a tee.
Jason has demonstrated that he is so wrapped up in himself that at times he loses all semblance of reason and control. Watching one of those displays is embarrassing.
At least if he had some ability for self reflection it would open the door for fans to see that he has the ability for growth.
Sadly that has not been the case so far. Could it change...sure.
Is it likely to change....no.
I say that because if Jason was likely to grow as a person then there would be some evidence of that so far.
He is what he is.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
A bunch of the veterans that moved on weren’t worth their pay anymore, not cause of Maas it that’s what you were implying

Correct, some moved on and most were past their "best before dates." Also, you can't keep going with guys who are constantly injured.

I do think, however that this is a crucial year for the club. If they come out of the gate and go say 3-6 to Labour Day and we have the same sort of coaching errors/immaturity we have seen before then I can see attendance taking another tumble.

I honestly believe that once we start sinking to game day attendance below 25K then it becomes much tougher to bounce back. Like the Oilers, we have made so many bad hiring decisions that it has eroded public confidence in the team.

I like our new GM but the hiring of DM, ET, Reed, Maas (admittedly not as bad as the 3 aforementioned) and so many other questionable characters has damaged the credibility of the club especially with younger fans who are not aware of the club's longer history. You can't win the entertainment dollar with past glories.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not really saying that, just that as these older guys move on and are replaced what Maas does seems a little more normal to the younger guys because they’ve got less to compare it too. Even still, I can’t imagine the veteran players were thrilled with how he coached that Western Final. The game was in their hands and the coach blew it. For many it was their last shot. They knew where Mass stands with the team, really no point speaking out against him.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The Jets have signed Dakota Shepley and Spruce Grove product Mark Korte and the Vikings have signed Ryan Hunter. I'm sure David Knevel has - or will be - signed by a NFL club, too. That's four projected CFL first-rounders now signed in the NFL It turns the draft upside down.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Esks cut RB Travon Van among others, and Dexter McCoil cut and could be CFL bound. The team feels it's very strong with RBs.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I am a little bit surprised about Fields because I thought he was one of the guys they were counting on to replace the aged and departed D-linemen. I guess he failed to impress.

It would be so sweet to have McCoil back but you have to think that his first choice might be the Riders and Jones. I don't know what the Riders cap room is. If he joins them then they could be very tough to beat.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I am a little bit surprised about Fields because I thought he was one of the guys they were counting on to replace the aged and departed D-linemen. I guess he failed to impress.

It would be so sweet to have McCoil back but you have to think that his first choice might be the Riders and Jones. I don't know what the Riders cap room is. If he joins them then they could be very tough to beat.

No biggie for Jones to find cash on the cap for his latest fancy. He will just release last month's dreamboat if he needs to.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The Esks and Hamilton have traded some draft choices. We get numbers 10 and 20 and give up 6 and 37. I'm trying to find out if there is something else involved. Hamilton has someone in mind who they figure won't be there at 10. They're really stocking up with high draft choices now. Looks like about an even trade. The Esks are eyeing a player they believe will still be there at 10. If so, then 10 + 20 is better than 6 + 37.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

It's ok. He can join the Riders Hostel club they have secretly made in Jones' basement. It's sitting at 20 players now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The Esks and Hamilton have traded some draft choices. We get numbers 10 and 20 and give up 6 and 37. I'm trying to find out if there is something else involved. Hamilton has someone in mind who they figure won't be there at 10. They're really stocking up with high draft choices now. Looks like about an even trade. The Esks are eyeing a player they believe will still be there at 10. If so, then 10 + 20 is better than 6 + 37.

These are the sort of small moves that Brock makes and I like these types of deals. You quietly go about doing the little things right.

10+20 definitely sounds better when your scouts think that someone you want will still be available at #10.

20 versus 37 is a significant improvement, it's picking up an early third rounder versus an early fifth rounder. Good stuff.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
These are the sort of small moves that Brock makes and I like these types of deals. You quietly go about doing the little things right.

10+20 definitely sounds better when your scouts think that someone you want will still be available at #10.

20 versus 37 is a significant improvement, it's picking up an early third rounder versus an early fifth rounder. Good stuff.
Not a huge deal but that number 20 will soon become number 24. Maybe tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig