Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The CFL draft is pretty low on the Sports entertainment scale. Its somewhere between Darts and Australian Rules Football. :D
Can I report this offensive post? You can't be surprised that I'm interested. I'm a CFL nerd.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
MoneyGuy, is this the player they thought would be available at 10 for them to make the trade, or do you know who they targeted?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
MoneyGuy, is this the player they thought would be available at 10 for them to make the trade, or do you know who they targeted?
This is the player they targeted. I've seen him ranked fifth but the team was confident he'd be around at 10. I was told that if it happens they'll be elated. They feel he could start by end of the season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Can I report this offensive post? You can't be surprised that I'm interested. I'm a CFL nerd.

Ha...not surprised at all. You might be the only one though. :nod:

My CFL interest level rises once TC starts.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
This is the player they targeted. I've seen him ranked fifth but the team was confident he'd be around at 10. I was told that if it happens they'll be elated. They feel he could start by end of the season.
With a couple of DBs picked now, do you think this is an indication about how they feel about Hoover?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the Esks would have liked Korte at number 6 but had a hunch he would be gone so traded down which made good sense. That's alright, I am pretty sure that Korte will find his way home in a few years and end up in green and gold anyway.

I like our new corner because of his size. There are so many big large receivers in the league these days and you have to get some size back there which is what we have been sorely lacking since Ojo left. This is the first time in a long time that we have this many quality Canuck prospects in the D-backfield and actually have 2 Canadians dueling for the same starting corner spot.

I guess Godfrey is good buds with Hoover which won't hurt.

There is still lots of work to do on our Canadian content but I like the results of the last 2 drafts. Again, its getting the little things right rather than always pulling a Chia.

Yes, I watched the draft right up until the Esks were ready to pick and then the better half says are we going or are you going to watch this junk all night? It was a great show down at the Blues Can but more beers than I would have liked. I may need the EE trainer this morning.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think the Esks would have liked Korte at number 6 but had a hunch he would be gone so traded down which made good sense. That's alright, I am pretty sure that Korte will find his way home in a few years and end up in green and gold anyway.

I like our new corner because of his size. There are so many big large receivers in the league these days and you have to get some size back there which is what we have been sorely lacking since Ojo left. This is the first time in a long time that we have this many quality Canuck prospects in the D-backfield and actually have 2 Canadians dueling for the same starting corner spot.

I guess Godfrey is good buds with Hoover which won't hurt.

There is still lots of work to do on our Canadian content but I like the results of the last 2 drafts. Again, its getting the little things right rather than always pulling a Chia.

Yes, I watched the draft right up until the Esks were ready to pick and then the better half says are we going or are you going to watch this junk all night? It was a great show down at the Blues Can but more beers than I would have liked. I may need the EE trainer this morning.
Always pulling a chia? If anything the one thing chia has done an acceptable job is the drafting

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Pretty good draft for the Eskimos. They got some mid rounders that might make some noise. Not as many high end players but more guys that are going to be strictly cfl guys that you don;t have to worry about nfl aspirations.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pretty good draft for the Eskimos. They got some mid rounders that might make some noise. Not as many high end players but more guys that are going to be strictly cfl guys that you don;t have to worry about nfl aspirations.

Yeah, I'm happy with it too. They already have about 9 players that can reasonably be starters, so the more bullets on guys that will stick around and develop and possibly help on the special teams is good.

There's also no rumblings that I'm hearing on Senior getting on with another NFL team. Hoping he decides to come back North, because we'd then be in very good shape for nationals.

MoneyGuy are you hearing any rumblings from your sources that Senior could be coming north anytime soon?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Bone, I'll check. Remind me in a few days if I haven't responded yet. I've heard nothing yet on Senior.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Ha...not surprised at all. You might be the only one though. :nod:

My CFL interest level rises once TC starts.
Please note that I am the 6th different person to comment on the CFL Draft even though you proclaimed that MG might be the only one who cares. :nod:

Interesting to note that 3 of the players selected by the Esks (Beaulieu, Taylor & McMaster) played for the Western Mustangs who were last year's undefeated Vanier Cup champions.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Please note that I am the 6th different person to comment on the CFL Draft even though you proclaimed that MG might be the only one who cares. :nod:

Interesting to note that 3 of the players selected by the Esks (Beaulieu, Taylor & McMaster) played for the Western Mustangs who were last year's undefeated Vanier Cup champions.

I was referring to Cashman being a CFL nerd. :D

All in fun.

I love the CFL despite all of its warts. Still pissed at Maas though. :nod:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Yes, good point. Guys who know how to win.

Its not a coincidence that when the Esks stopped paying much attention to the CFL draft (under DM) the club went into a decade long tailspin.

Finding good imports isn't easy but it is much less strenuous than finding good Canadian talent that can fill out the 7 starter positions and the all important special teams lineup.

Back in the dynasty days there was no question that the EE had the best Canadian talent in the league and the best special teams in the league, manned in good part by fearless Canucks.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Ironic that it was under a Canadian GM, DM, that we stopped caring a lot about the Canadian draft and it hurt us.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Indeed it was a real blow.

Trading away a 1st round draft pick for a very average O-lineman (McGrath) that you had cut 2 weeks before demonstrated just how bad things had become. It was the beginning of the end for DM. Even his supporters were blushing.

We talk about Hall for Larsson but that was sheer genius next to this one.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Indeed it was a real blow.

Trading away a 1st round draft pick for a very average O-lineman (McGrath) that you had cut 2 weeks before demonstrated just how bad things had become. It was the beginning of the end for DM. Even his supporters were blushing.

We talk about Hall for Larsson but that was sheer genius next to this one.

And that was the encore performance for trading number 2 overall for 9 and 16 leading to local product Tsoumpas going to Calgary and playing for 6 years. 4 of which as a western all-star, 3 of which CFL all-star. Oh the DM days. Those who criticize BS must be forgetting how bad it can actually be.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know. I honestly have no idea why...are they all drunk?
Yep, which I mean years ago when they allowed excessive drinking at commonwealth people were louder at Esks games. So maybe time to open up CW's again

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
And that was the encore performance for trading number 2 overall for 9 and 16 leading to local product Tsoumpas going to Calgary and playing for 6 years. 4 of which as a western all-star, 3 of which CFL all-star. Oh the DM days. Those who criticize BS must be forgetting how bad it can actually be.

Very true and Tsoumpas was an Edmonton boy who's life long dream was to play for the Esks. He had EE all-star written all over him. Then on draft day, an hour before that dream is set to come true you see an idiot move like that.

Two of the dumbest trades in CFL history followed up by bad boy Eric coming in and trading away a HOF quarterback with no succession plan in place. I can't believe that the T-Cats and Alouettes had so much interest in these 2 guys once they left the igloo. Chia looks like a genius next to this pair.

Now flash forward and we have people crying over the fact that Brock showed some aging, overpaid veterans the door. And somehow he was supposed to stop Zylstra from signing in the NFL?

Sunderland's dad is a highly regarded football guy and so far I think we see some of those traits in his son although admittedly the jury is still out. I hope Brock's influence continues to grow and if we don't see some improvement in coaching performance this season then a few more guys can hit the road next year only they won't be players.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yes, good point. Guys who know how to win.

Its not a coincidence that when the Esks stopped paying much attention to the CFL draft (under DM) the club went into a decade long tailspin.

Finding good imports isn't easy but it is much less strenuous than finding good Canadian talent that can fill out the 7 starter positions and the all important special teams lineup.

Back in the dynasty days there was no question that the EE had the best Canadian talent in the league and the best special teams in the league, manned in good part by fearless Canucks.
Not that I was a fan of Maccioca to begin with but he lost me for good went he went public with his wishes to see the ratio become a thing of the past. That more than anything showed me how in over his head he was running a CFL team. He knew he had no clue how to draft and develop Canadian talent and was just looking for an easy way out. I saw him as a traitor to the Canadian game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad