Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly, for all of his warts, I really don't see Rhodes as the type to give in to a whining small self interest group for the name change. I think he just wanted to do due dilligence, knowing the result would work in his favour.
I’m not so sure about that. I thought it was posted a while back that season ticket holders were polled on what the new nickname should be. I’m not a season ticket holder so I didn’t see this myself but from the sounds of it he had caved and the name change was inevitable.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Money Guy posted the link to this back in February in post 620. Rhodes is quoted as saying they’re in listening mode now. At the very least, it’s being considered.

Sure, he said he's gong to listen. It will shut the whiners up and at least let them know that he tried. And then the STHers fired back and said no. He'll have his concensus and then we move on. Until the next shrill calls from our PM, Premier , mayor and other clowns.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
With the Grey Cup game here I put the over-under for the first story when some snowflake gets upset with the name at 9:34 p.m. after the western final is over. Earlier if we are the western representative.

Reactions: TB12

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sure, he said he's gong to listen. It will shut the whiners up and at least let them know that he tried. And then the STHers fired back and said no. He'll have his concensus and then we move on. Until the next shrill calls from our PM, Premier , mayor and other clowns.

I sure hope you are right. The politically correct crowd are like toddlers who want candy. They will scream and stomp their feet until someone says give it to them so they will shut up. Don't be surprised if baby Trudeau is front and center on this by the time the CFL regular season starts. The master of disaster never misses a chance to make a politically correct statement.

Reactions: guymez

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
From the Forum rules - Section 4)

All political discussion is to be done on the Political Discussion Forum.

Quite correct KLFC.... bit of an OT topic/thread but yes, if you really wanna go off topic, talk politics, thats the place to do it.... not here.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Quite correct KLFC.... bit of an OT topic/thread but yes, if you really wanna go off topic, talk politics, thats the place to do it.... not here.

I honestly don't know how you can separate sports and politics because the two have always been intimately intertwined. The Olympics are perhaps the best example.

As another example, when the threads talk about the fate of the old Northland's Coliseum is that not a political issue?

It seems to me that the people who came after the EE about this silly name change always claim that they have the right to express their views on any forum at any time to defend what they think is right. Conversely, if you take a stance against these people then those opinions don't seem to be very welcome.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I honestly don't know how you can separate sports and politics because the two have always been intimately intertwined. The Olympics are perhaps the best example.

As another example, when the threads talk about the fate of the old Northland's Coliseum is that not a political issue?

It seems to me that the people who came after the EE about this silly name change always claim that they have the right to express their views on any forum at any time to defend what they think is right. Conversely, if you take a stance against these people then those opinions don't seem to be very welcome.

Indeed so, and an excellent point. However.... one must draw the line at pontificating, moralizing, being partisan. Its ok to be objectively critical of anything that is clearly political, politically motivated, to call out officials, politico's for their obvious pandering, vote buying, vote swapping, bald faced lying. Were good with that here, no problem. But its when people start in with their own particular beliefs, allegiances & agendas, using team pages, NHL General or wherever that we have a problem... for that, total free for all, un-moderated, we have the Politics Board.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I like the team name but it's nothing for you guys to get so bent about.
If the name changes there will still be the EE and green & gold.

I doubt it will change your lives in any way and the sun will still rise.

Obviousy some of you have more faith in the depth of character rhodes has than i do. He'll cave within a year.

And so far the only name calling isn't from the "temper tantrum, foot stomping, whinging snowflakes."

Better get used to the name change idea. You can't change the tide. If you could, we'd still be able to have peanuts at games.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I like the team name but it's nothing for you guys to get so bent about.
If the name changes there will still be the EE and green & gold.

I doubt it will change your lives in any way and the sun will still rise.

Obviousy some of you have more faith in the depth of character rhodes has than i do. He'll cave within a year.

And so far the only name calling isn't from the "temper tantrum, foot stomping, whinging snowflakes."

Better get used to the name change idea. You can't change the tide. If you could, we'd still be able to have peanuts at games.

If its nothing to get so "bent about" then maybe the people who want to change the traditional name can drop the issue. They are under no obligation to attend the games, watch on T.V. or listen to the team on the radio. They don't have to post on these forums either or have anything to do with the football club.

I think that the WWF is silly, offensive and promotes violence so I just skip past it with the remote. Its called consumer choice.

Can't change the tide? Well, some voters in the U.S. did.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I sure hope you are right. The politically correct crowd are like toddlers who want candy. They will scream and stomp their feet until someone says give it to them so they will shut up. Don't be surprised if baby Trudeau is front and center on this by the time the CFL regular season starts. The master of disaster never misses a chance to make a politically correct statement.

Indeed. Justin is a beta male (like Rhodes) and he also is the master of virtue signalling.
The really embarrassing thing is that the Canadian people thought he was the best person to run our country. Amazing what a famous last name can accomplish.
What does that say about the intelligence of the average Canadian.

In any event I agree with Gord. I wouldn't put a name change past Rhodes at all.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
There is currently no plan to change the name. The club is conducting engagement with various stakeholders. Any decision depends on the result of that process.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Sold off ’87 Grey Cup ring returned to Milson Jones’s family

From two-time Grey Cup champion to making headlines for all the wrong reasons after becoming homeless on the streets of Winnipeg at one point, Milson Jones hardly has the squeakiest of clean legacies.

But thanks to the selfless effort of a complete stranger clear across the country, memories of the better times have literally been brought home for the Jones family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad