Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm a bit young to remember the 70s, but wasnt the cfl a viable career compared to the nfl in those days, as opposed to a last stop or stepping stone?
Sute as heck was in the 80s for a black qb.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
At the CFL combine local product OL Mark Korte showed speed that would have put him into the top six among OL at the NFL combine. The Esks are looking at him in the first round.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
All this Manziel hype only debases the league further. They make it look like he's a shoo-in to come in and take it by storm. Sorry to break it to you, but being a QB - or any player - in the CFL is not that easy.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm sad the riders signed John Ojo. great player and if he's fully recovered form injury, he's going to have a heck of a year.

Hate to say it, but the esks and the entire west division better be worried about the Riders.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm sad the riders signed John Ojo. great player and if he's fully recovered form injury, he's going to have a heck of a year.

Hate to say it, but the esks and the entire west division better be worried about the Riders.

Luckily, their biggest question mark is at QB, which happens to be the most important position on a football team.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Unfortunately, I think that question mark will become an exclamation mark before long. He's a good QB who's far from done.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I would also have liked to see Ojo rejoin the EE. We could certainly use some help at corner.

No less than 15 DB's now listed on the roster, hopefully one of them steps out of the group and distinguishes himself the way Ojo did in 2015.

The most interesting battle might be at safety. I expect Hoover to push King for that Canadian spot.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Esks released Marcell Young today. Rejoice!!
Although pretty shaky on the field more than he should've been, I get the impression that Young was a solid veteran locker room presence for the Eskimos. I wish him well. As for Jon Ojo, the odds seem to be against him regaining his pre-injury form. He was in & out of the NFL in the blink of an eye last year and CFL teams haven't exactly made signing him a top priority.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Although pretty shaky on the field more than he should've been, I get the impression that Young was a solid veteran locker room presence for the Eskimos. I wish him well. As for Jon Ojo, the odds seem to be against him regaining his pre-injury form. He was in & out of the NFL in the blink of an eye last year and CFL teams haven't exactly made signing him a top priority.

You are probably right about Ojo regaining his all star form but just in case he does regain it I would much rather see him in green and gold as opposed to green and white. I wonder if he had physically recovered when he was at Jets camp?

So many ex-Esks have followed Jones to Sask. only to be shown the door. We'll see how it goes this time. I agree that the odds are probably against him.

As for Young, I guess Stoneman will be upset over his leaving;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well, John Chick just retired today.

I wonder if this decision was solely personal, mutual, or business-oriented?

Esks just gained a bunch of cap I think though.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Well, John Chick just retired today.

I wonder if this decision was solely personal, mutual, or business-oriented?

Esks just gained a bunch of cap I think though.
Much of that was business and cap management.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Coaching staff named.... Clipped and pasted so the spelling error is not mine. I would have preferred that Maas name a new OC.

#Esks name coaching staff for 2018 Maas HC/OC, Benevides DC and AHC, McDiarmid returns as SPTC. Changes, Benevides also LB coach, Maxie goes from LB to DL, New to staff - DJ McCarthy Receivers, Kelly Bates as Off Quality Control and Travis Brown assistant LB

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
The Special Teams coordinator from last year didn't get let go?? :huh:

If Maas is still coach, especially after defending instead of admitting his stupidity, who cares about the rest of them?
it really doesn't matter.

if I had to make a prediction, the only thing of note upper management will do this year is announce a team name change.
Rhodes seems the type that would give that up without much of a fight. (plus he'd think the resulting merch sales would be a result of his grand vision)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Coaching staff named.... Clipped and pasted so the spelling error is not mine. I would have preferred that Maas name a new OC.

#Esks name coaching staff for 2018 Maas HC/OC, Benevides DC and AHC, McDiarmid returns as SPTC. Changes, Benevides also LB coach, Maxie goes from LB to DL, New to staff - DJ McCarthy Receivers, Kelly Bates as Off Quality Control and Travis Brown assistant LB
What is Off Quality Control?

Seems that would have come in handy late in the Calgary game.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If Maas is still coach, especially after defending instead of admitting his stupidity, who cares about the rest of them?
it really doesn't matter.

if I had to make a prediction, the only thing of note upper management will do this year is announce a team name change.
Rhodes seems the type that would give that up without much of a fight. (plus he'd think the resulting merch sales would be a result of his grand vision)

Honestly, for all of his warts, I really don't see Rhodes as the type to give in to a whining small self interest group for the name change. I think he just wanted to do due dilligence, knowing the result would work in his favour.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Honestly, for all of his warts, I really don't see Rhodes as the type to give in to a whining small self interest group for the name change. I think he just wanted to do due dilligence, knowing the result would work in his favour.

I believe he does care about the appearance of success and making it look like he's responsible for it.
I think that's partly why Hervey is gone. Hervey was getting too much credit. a power play, too. Rhodes is Lenin and Hervey is Trotsky.

I do think he'll "cave", if only for the fact he'll see the dollar signs for merchandise sales, and he'll want to have that happen under his watch.
bet he has fantasies about passing the riders for sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad