Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
D'Anthony Batiste retires today, he was a very good O-lineman for a lot of years even if he was primarily in a relief role last year. It's another hole to fill.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I wasn't sure this would happen but my friend, Simeon Rottier, has resigned with the Esks. I have to think this may be his last contract. I knew he wouldn't play the whole season last year as he struggled through camp. If he stays healthy he's a big signing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Good for him. He has talent and it's amazing he gets to work for the champs

Eh...I liked how he started off the year but didn't feel like he adapted all that well once opposing D-coordinators started adjusting to his schemes.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I wasn't sure this would happen but my friend, Simeon Rottier, has resigned with the Esks. I have to think this may be his last contract. I knew he wouldn't play the whole season last year as he struggled through camp. If he stays healthy he's a big signing.

the problem is anytime you have to refer to a player starting with "if he can stay healthy..."

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Football sure seems to have its bad boys. This must be something more serious than the usual marijuana issues for the league to void Cumming's contract.

I am glad that Rottier is returning. We are pretty thin on the O-line and if you can get another decent year out of a veteran lineman then that's a good thing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Football sure seems to have its bad boys. This must be something more serious than the usual marijuana issues for the league to void Cumming's contract.

I am glad that Rottier is returning. We are pretty thin on the O-line and if you can get another decent year out of a veteran lineman then that's a good thing.

Sexual assault.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Scratch that last request, I found it. This sounds very bad. Good riddance to this guy.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
odd story though. if the bombers did let the league know, how is it the esks went a whole year with the guy and be able to claim they did not know anything?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The Esks have announced the signing of receiver Torrance Gibson. This is one of the guys they've been pursuing who they're really high on. He's 6' 5" and has played quarterback. They love his athleticism.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
TERRY JONES: ‘Big Foot’ Hank Ilesic finally steps into Canadian Football Hall of Fame

Hank Ilesic is 58. He’s been retired since 2001. That’s a long time to wait for a phone call.
When he finally received it, from Canadian Football Hall of Fame executive director Mark DeNobile, there was silence on the line.

“I think he probably thought his day would never come or that his accomplishments had maybe been overlooked by the selection committee for once and for all,” said DeNobile.

Reactions: guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
TERRY JONES: ‘Big Foot’ Hank Ilesic finally steps into Canadian Football Hall of Fame

Hank Ilesic is 58. He’s been retired since 2001. That’s a long time to wait for a phone call.
When he finally received it, from Canadian Football Hall of Fame executive director Mark DeNobile, there was silence on the line.

“I think he probably thought his day would never come or that his accomplishments had maybe been overlooked by the selection committee for once and for all,” said DeNobile.
The guy was one of a kind. Miles better than anybody else who played the position and such an unbelievable story too. For those too young to remember. He played for the Eskimos while he was still in high school. Later went on to play in the NFL. I’m amazed it’s taken him this long to get into the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Beerfish

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I don't remember anyone who kicked the crap out of the ball like Hank. I'm not sure he couldn't still play. He was a kicking demon.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The guy was one of a kind. Miles better than anybody else who played the position and such an unbelievable story too. For those too young to remember. He played for the Eskimos while he was still in high school. Later went on to play in the NFL. I’m amazed it’s taken him this long to get into the Hall of Fame.

There was a rumour that Tom Landry travelled to Edmonton to watch Ilesic punt at St. Joe's (I believe). Just the two of them. It's never been confirmed but I don't think it's been ever debunked.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I was shocked to learn that Hank wasn't already in the HOF. What were these people thinking?

I don't think I have ever seen anyone kick the ball like this guy could, either in the CFL or the NFL. He was always called Mr. "instant field position" and he was a key piece of the dynasty teams.

60+ yard punts were just routine for Big Foot. When you coupled him with Cutler, arguably the best PK in CFL history then it made a 1-2 combination that was just as big a headache for the opposition as Moon, Kelly, Scott and the rest of the boys.

I don't know why Hank wasn't recruited to the NFL but then again those were very different times in the CFL. A lot of guys didn't see the league as a place to audition for 2 years before getting their NFL shot. They stuck around for years and that of course was what created the dynasty. You had at least 20 key players who were here for a decade.

I don't know if the Landry legend is true but I do remember that someone from the EE was walking across a high school football field and saw him kicking the ball. The rest, as they say, is history.

I am pretty sure that Landry called Jim Germany after he had played a year with the Esks and asked him to come to Cowboys camp but Germany liked the idea of being a star in the CFL and the salary discrepancy wasn't anywhere close to what it is today.

One way or another, Hank is probably the greatest punter that the Guiness Book of World records never heard about. I doubt there will ever be another one like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad