Proposal: Edmonton and Buffalo

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
You want a 70 point O'Reilly? Stick him on Mcdavid's wing. In all seriousness, nobody can honestly say how many points each player would have if the roles were reversed. Even if agreed Draisaitl may be better Offensively, the question is by how much? Would Draisaitl have gotten over 70 points playing in O'Reilly's spot last year? No way. If you put both players in identical situations, I think O'Reilly's the better player. Due to Drai being younger, both hold near the same value I'd say.

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You want a 70 point O'Reilly? Stick him on Mcdavid's wing. In all seriousness, nobody can honestly say how many points each player would have if the roles were reversed. Even if agreed Draisaitl may be better Offensively, the question is by how much? Would Draisaitl have gotten over 70 points playing in O'Reilly's spot last year? No way. If you put both players in identical situations, I think O'Reilly's the better player. Due to Drai being younger, both hold near the same value I'd say.
By that same token, though, I don't think if you put O'Reilly on McDavid's wing that he'd score 70+ points. He's not as good as Draisaitl is offensively. Did McDavid help Draisaitl a ton? Sure did. But Draisaitl also helped McDavid a ton by complementing his game perfectly with his offensive style of play.

O'Reilly is a fantastic player, but I think he's a step below Draisaitl.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
By that same token, though, I don't think if you put O'Reilly on McDavid's wing that he'd score 70+ points. He's not as good as Draisaitl is offensively. Did McDavid help Draisaitl a ton? Sure did. But Draisaitl also helped McDavid a ton by complementing his game perfectly with his offensive style of play.

O'Reilly is a fantastic player, but I think he's a step below Draisaitl.
Offensively he is. But he's a top 10 defensive forward in the world.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Seeing as how ROR didnt even play with a player who came within 40 points of Mcdavid last year I would hope he would score more. I look at what ROR has done in the worlds where he has played top line wing and been dominant.

The luxury of ROR is his defensive acumen, along with his complimentary play. You can play anyone with ROR, and ROR with anyone.

Drai is a great young player. I bit overpaid but a great great young player. If he was in Buffalo I could see him as a 60 point guy.

I dont think either team would do the trade but I do think its fair in value.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's an interesting discussion, ROR definitely brings a lot of things that would be good for the Oilers, but I think most Oiler fans would be happy to stick with Drai .

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I recognize that, but defensive play is the only thing O'Reilly has on Draisaitl IMO. Draisaitl is more creative/better offensively, faster, more physical, more dominant down low using his body. Again, not a knock on O'Reilly.
Let's not make it sound like defensive play is only "one thing" O'Reilly is better defensively. Draisaitl is better offensively. I'd also suggest that O'Reilly is better on the ice in 2 of the 3 zones of play, just for arguments sake. I don't think the value is far off. But like I said earlier, I'm a huge ROR fan, so maybe its just me.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There's no way that the Oilers do this IMO.
ROR is a very good player and a better overall player right now but Draisaitl has the potential to be an elite center to the level of a prime Kopitar potentially, he's already very good (utterly dominant at times like few are) and is only 21. Just too much potential to deal away.

Would the Jets or Panthers deal away Schiefele or Barkov for ROR? That's how the Oilers see Draisaitl.

I am a bit intrigued though because ROR is pretty much an ideal fit as a #2 center behind McDavid but just can't give up Drai, he's too special.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
ROR is 26 yrs old to start the season, Drai is 21 to start the season..

I think Drai was overpaid. His numbers were inflated because of who he played with.

ROR is a different type of player so comparing them is comparing apples to oranges.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To people saying Draisaitl is not a center...he took more than 170 more faceoffs than McDavid last year. He was relied upon when the team needed them. He was almost more of a center on that line than McDavid was.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I like ROR but value wise this is just too far off.

Buffalo would need to add Reinhart with a small add coming from Edmonton like Benson + 2nd

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Having a discussion about value with some Buffalo fans.

Who says no?

Draisaitl for ROR straight up?

Please weigh in.

^why? What do the Oilers gain from this by trading their other star in the making? And no I don't think ROR is a better player than Leon is.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
To people saying Draisaitl is not a center...he took more than 170 more faceoffs than McDavid last year. He was relied upon when the team needed them. He was almost more of a center on that line than McDavid was.

Connor was the undisputed center on that line last year. Even with Leon taking so many faceoffs.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

:huh:

Reactions: PuckG

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'd personally be very curious to see the TOI Draisaitl had and points produced with and without McDavid. I know he played 2C as well as 1RW.

Compare that to ROR's track record, with a poor team and where he was noted for his respected defensive play... I personally wouldn't trade ROR for Draisaitl, ultimately I don't think Draisaitl can replicate his results from last season unless he plays wing for McDavid through most of the season. Draisaitl is being paid too much to play a whole season with McDavid, he needs to drive his own line at even strength and I'm not convinced he's a 60 point guy on his own line away from McDavid.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
ROR plays top defensive match-ups, well, on a team that has other high salary offensive centers. Would screw up the line-up trading him for someone of a different style, ignoring who it is. Paying even more salary to someone who would screw up the style and leave them with only some 3C quality defensive centers is a mess. Draisaitl? Uhh, no from Buffalo. If he was paid 5 mil/yr and locked in for 8 years, then maybe we're talking, but not all-star money leaving the team with a glass cannon roster.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

There is so much more to playing center than face offs. He takes the face off then moves to the wing position so he has none of the responsibilities of a center, until he does he is a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad