Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Mike Brown for EDM 4th '14 (3rd if EDM Reaches Playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Overall this trade is whatever. Adds a plyer the Oilers likely can use if he's stays healthy and can be in the line-up.

However the conditional pick makes no ****ing sense on this trade. How did Nonis even have any ammo to get that added to the deal?

My worry is a significant trade could be done that will help the team much more than say Brown does and they make the team better sneak into the playoffs and then he's on the hook to give out a 3rd rounder for Brown. Seriously where's the sense in that?

Or did Tambo make this move knowing full well he's just going to sit on his hands all season again.

You mean that the Oilers will have to give up a 2014 3rd rounder if they make the playoffs. Oh the horror. :amazed:
Where's the sense in making such a big deal out of giving up a middle round pick in next years draft for a player who could potentially be useful and help the team now?

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Nope. Nothing I posted was untrue. To make you feel better, I went back and just looked at his shots for/against. Even last year, team worst again the year before that.

So...yay?

Mike Brown - TOR

2010-11: RELCorsi - -5.6 Zone Start - 41.4%

Worst on team? Nope (M. Lombardi -9.4 / 52.2%)

2009-10: RELCorsi: -16.2 Zone Start - 43.0%

Worst on team? Nope (C. Orr -22.1 / 45.4%)

So what you posted was, in fact, completely untrue.

Let me give you some free advice. MANY of the posters here monitor advanced stats just as much as you do. Most of us just understand their context a little better.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You mean that the Oilers will have to give up a 2014 3rd rounder if they make the playoffs. Oh the horror. :amazed:
Where's the sense in making such a big deal out of giving up a middle round pick in next years draft for a player who could potentially be useful and help the team now?

It just doesn't make sense. People say we need to stop stockpiling prospects, and get some actual roster players, and when Tambo trades a 3rd and a 4th to get 2 tough SOBs that love to hit, and can play regular shifts, everyone's furious

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
The value of a 3rd round pick if we make the playoffs is SLIGHTLY more valuable than what our 4th round picks have been the last few years.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Trades/signings that got dumped on like this one:
-Glenncross
-Fistric
-Whitney (was awesome until he got hurt and would be a fan favorite if not for injuries that have clearly taken a toll)
-Jones
-Belanger (not good at scoring but look at our PK now)
-Hejda
-Smid
All got panned and all turned out better than expected. Give the guy a break.

Spot on.

I distinctly remember people calling Glencross a scrub, an addition for Speingfield, and all the typical management bashing to go along with it.

I find it funny that the same people who are standing on the tallest soapbox complaining about Tambellini, team toughness, not making moves, etc are the same ones crying about this deal for a player that they likely know nothing about.

I guess unless its a superstar player coming back no move will be good enough for some around here. Even then I bet there would be some sort of complaint.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
This what Brown thinks of your advanced stats.

mike+brown+tyler+bozak+gun+call+of+duty+leafs.jpg

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Mike Brown - TOR

2010-11: RELCorsi - -5.6 Zone Start - 41.4%

Worst on team? Nope (M. Lombardi -9.4 / 52.2%)

2009-10: RELCorsi: -16.2 Zone Start - 43.0%

Worst on team? Nope (C. Orr -22.1 / 45.4%)

So what you posted was, in fact, completely untrue.

Let me give you some free advice. MANY of the posters here monitor advanced stats just as much as you do. Most of us just understand their context a little better.

If your trying to show Brown doesn't suck your doing a bad job.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Wow, people are crapping on the guy when they haven't even watched him play. He's a useful fourth line guy. We gave up a 4th round pick for him, it's not like this deal is going to bite us in the ass. Ben Eager isn't better than Brown. Brown throws his body around much more and gives it his all every shift. It's pathetic how some of you are hating on him.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Spot on.

I distinctly remember people calling Glencross a scrub, an addition for Speingfield, and all the typical management bashing to go along with it.

I find it funny that the same people who are standing on the tallest soapbox complaining about Tambellini, team toughness, not making moves, etc are the same ones crying about this deal for a player that they likely know nothing about.

I guess unless its a superstar player coming back no move will be good enough for some around here. Even then I bet there would be some sort of complaint.

Pretty much this. People complain that this team comes out flat, no one protects the kids, we need grit and toughness in our bottom 6. Well when we trade away a pick for a guy that can do that, those people still manage to complain.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I think watching him play rather than looking at useless stats should be what sways your opinion. If you're going to crap on him after watching him then by all means.

See what I did there? :D

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Wasn't it Mclaren that made him available though? Or am I off haven't seen a ton of Leaf games this year.

McLaren's an up and comer. Brown is coming off injury and had trade value. I think the Leafs made a judgement call on one of the two and got an asset now instead of possibly losing a guy like Brown or any of their fourth liners to waivers later. Everyone mentions how guys like this are on waivers but the fact is he wasn't. He was likely being shopped and would have found a home if it wasn't with Edmonton regardless... and let me tell you, I'm sure we would have heard it from posters on this board as the Oilers continue to be soft.

Last edited:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

:biglaugh:

Wow...

Poster one: Numbers say exactly this.

Poster two: No, they don't, they say this.

Poster three: You're claiming player is not terrible, but you're proving he is!!!

Just unreal...

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Brown's a bulldog with a good motor, who makes his living in the greasy areas, and he can skate with your best players if you need em to. I know he's injured a lot, but how are you guys not thrilled about adding a guy like this??? Exactly what a lot of you have been begging for.
Wouldn't be surprised to see this guy wear a letter sooner than later. Kiss getting pushed around goodbye. Brown ain't scared of anybody. Probably his best and worst trait :laugh:

Anyway, I'm sure he's up to the task, and I don't think he'll disappoint. Hope he stays healthy for you guys. I know he'll play hard.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm all for drafting but realistically that fourth round pick doesn't have a very good chance at being any better than Mike Brown. Besides, how many fourth round picks are going to be able to jump into the NHL in the next couple of years?

We get harder to play against and add character but somehow this is a bad thing?

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Brown wasn't at fault for the goal he was on the ice for. Saw some glimpses of what he's gonna do for the Oilers. He's fast and gritty so he's gonna help us maintain puck possession down low and retrieve some pucks. Looking back to the Chicago game, that's a big need for us. First period was a good start for him. He's gonna be a good player here for us.

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
I don't troll or comment, but I just logged on to see the reaction from the outside. I loved having Mike Brown on my team, and you will love him on yours. It's a good fit, give him a little time and you will be impressed. Shake it easy!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Brown skate like **** in no particular meaningful direction. Looks like the astute reports were right.

Basis waste of ten minutes toi.

I don't know he even got on the ice after the 2nd period.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Brown skate like **** in no particular meaningful direction. Looks like the astute reports were right.

Basis waste of ten minutes toi.

I don't know he even got on the ice after the 2nd period.

You mean like the rest of the 1st & 2nd liners? Way to cherry pick. He played well for 1st game with new line mates. You really need to drink less. :p:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You mean like the rest of the 1st & 2nd liners? Way to cherry pick. He played well for 1st game with new line mates. You really need to drink less. :p:

I seldom see a player more out of position.

This guy looks like he's skating like the wind because of a poor skating style. His legs are moving but he's not going far. To call this guy fast (like many reports did) in pursuit is misleading.

The combination of him being out of position and odd skating technique means he wasn't closing very well and was chasing most of the night.

Looked like a guy trying to skate uphill. Looks to be carrying an extra tire as well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Yep the Only guy who did anything in the top 6 was Paajarvi. Might as well rag on the 4th liner playing his first game in a month and first game with his new team. Pretty sure Brown led the team in hits and was the most persistent puck pressure player. I dont think a single player in the top 6 threw a hit or won a puck battle tonight. Paajarvi took a beating a few times getting in traffic and fighting for pucks and had a sweet goal off of a Gagner bumble.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Brown wasn't at fault for the goal he was on the ice for. Saw some glimpses of what he's gonna do for the Oilers. He's fast and gritty so he's gonna help us maintain puck possession down low and retrieve some pucks. Looking back to the Chicago game, that's a big need for us. First period was a good start for him. He's gonna be a good player here for us.

I thought he did a really good job of being in position to help the breakout, was usually the first guy in and hardest guy on the forecheck.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I was looking forward to watching Mike Brown play tonight, and I liked what I saw. The fourth line actually established a forecheck on a couple of shifts and bottled Columbus up in their own end.

Brown even had a scoring chance, although I'm not expecting to see much offence from him going forward. He did lead the team in hits, with 4, and almost all of those were against the D on Columbus.

Replacement's criticism of his skating is a bit of a stretch. Smyth looks like he's skating in pine tar out there, and was far less effective on that line than Brown, mainly due to a complete lack of speed on the part of Smyth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad