Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Mike Brown for EDM 4th '14 (3rd if EDM Reaches Playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How did you get that from what I wrote?:help:

Those guys are all legit Top 6 players with skills beyond hitting, though physicality is part of their game. When I talk about Brown and guys like him, it's pretty clear I'm not talking about them.

So why does it apply to a bottom 6 guy, if that's his actual job?

That's why he is a bottom 6, because he can't score if he could score he'd still be chasing.

Can't have it both ways, if Brown hitting lots means he's chasing the puck a lot then so is Lucic and company.

metallicat

Aug 9, 2003
Edson, AB
Visit site
This trade is already paying dividends - to the other team. Immediately after he dismantled Tootoo, Detroit went down and scored.

But I thought winning fights was supposed to energize the team? Silly me.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
This trade is already paying dividends - to the other team. Immediately after he dismantled Tootoo, Detroit went down and scored.

But I thought winning fights was supposed to energize the team? Silly me.

I'm tired of seeing this in this thread.

Obviously that's not a product of Brown that's a product of a sad sack of a team, get over it and looking for stupid reasons to hate on Brown.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Obviously that's not a product of Brown that's a product of a sad sack of a team, get over it and looking for stupid reasons to hate on Brown.

I don't think anybody "hates" Brown.

More to the point as fans we might hate that this is the slim ration served to a fanbase starving for a competitive team and hoping for one that doesn't finish last every year.

This thread has been big because of the timing. Because the team is drowning, and this is the one action of the club to save souls, is whats causing the frustration on SS Titanic.;)

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
So why does it apply to a bottom 6 guy, if that's his actual job?

That's my point: it's a dumb role.

That's why he is a bottom 6, because he can't score if he could score he'd still be chasing.

Can't have it both ways, if Brown hitting lots means he's chasing the puck a lot then so is Lucic and company

This is a bit of a contradiction since there is a clear and acknowledged difference between top 6ers and guys like Brown in their ability to do something with the puck, including, one presumes, retrieve it using hits.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Nah, couldn't be that the narrative itself is false.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I like Brown but he's a product of the many mistakes that Lowe/Tambo made with bringing in tough guys. Hordi, Stortini were horrible signings.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think the cause and effect that causes confusion is when the contribution of player is not properly isolated.

Brown may be a particular type of player elsehwere and look effective playing on a physical team with guys left and right that have his back and that are all playing a physical game.

Trouble is if you take a fish out of water and away from their school, what you sometimes have is that one fish flapping around on shore.

I kind of feel sorry for Brown. Because theres simply no way he can do here what the role was in Toronto.

For sure he'll be game for awhile and hopefully he's got great perseverence, but eventually he'll realize that on this club anything he does has little point to it. He's not a difference maker, on the right type of team he can make a contribution, but this is a guy speaking pig latin in a convent. There won't be many followers.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
For a 5 minute/game player, I like what Brown has brought. But that is all he is and is not turning this season around for us. Still, longer term, I wouldn't mind seeing him stick on the 4th line.

At least the pick will remain a 4th. :laugh:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
For a 5 minute/game player, I like what Brown has brought. But that is all he is and is not turning this season around for us. Still, longer term, I wouldn't mind seeing him stick on the 4th line.

You do realize he played over 11 minutes in both games he's played for us, right?

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

This is the only was this team and its development crew can turn a 4th rounder into an NHL player.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
im pretty sure tamblowe said "we'll give you a conditional pick, 3rd round if we make the playoffs"

nonis "lol ok" hangs up phone "we just got edmontons 4th rounder

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Right. You base the whole pkg off of one fight. To bad he couldn't of snuck out of the box to score for the oilers. Oh right thats the other three lines. Deluisional fans tend to where blinders when it comes to the rest of the team.

The argument against having a player like Brown is that the team is bad enough without him. Adding another ****ty player for his "intangibles" isn't going to help, especially when said ****ty player is logging more than 10 minutes a night.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
The argument against having a player like Brown is that the team is bad enough without him. Adding another ****ty player for his "intangibles" isn't going to help, especially when said ****ty player is logging more than 10 minutes a night.

I agree he isn't a differance maker on the score sheet, but no 4th liner is. Hell neither are our 3rd liners. The reason I believe so many are defending Mike Brown, not so much the aquisition, is that there is nothing anyone can do about it except ask for Tambo's head.
But at least don't just cherry pick a players faults and not at least give kudo's for what they do well. Belanger is one of the most useless players on this team, yet I feel we need him for just the face offs, and that is sad. I bet alot more of these kinda of moves will happen again(history shows it) and are we going to have 1000 post threads for each one? :help:

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I agree he isn't a differance maker on the score sheet, but no 4th liner is. Hell neither are our 3rd liners. The reason I believe so many are defending Mike Brown, not so much the aquisition, is that there is nothing anyone can do about it except ask for Tambo's head.
But at least don't just cherry pick a players faults and not at least give kudo's for what they do well. Belanger is one of the most useless players on this team, yet I feel we need him for just the face offs, and that is sad. I bet alot more of these kinda of moves will happen again(history shows it) and are we going to have 1000 post threads for each one? :help:

Belanger is at least good at faceoffs and killing penalties. The things Brown does well IMO have no bearing on winning hockey games. And between his poor play in his own end (they were getting absolutely schooled by Detroit's nobodies last night) and the inevitable bad penalties, he'll end up costing the team more than he'll ever contribute. That's really all there is to it. What baffles me is the disconnect between the general sentiment that the Oilers bottom six is terrible and the general acceptance of this trade. Want a better bottom six? You need better players than Mike Brown in it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Belanger is at least good at faceoffs and killing penalties. The things Brown does well IMO have no bearing on winning hockey games. And between his poor play in his own end (they were getting absolutely schooled by Detroit's nobodies last night) and the inevitable bad penalties, he'll end up costing the team more than he'll ever contribute. That's really all there is to it. What baffles me is the disconnect between the general sentiment that the Oilers bottom six is terrible and the general acceptance of this trade. Want a better bottom six? You need better players than Mike Brown in it.

Holy crap, really? What an insightful comment! We also need better players than Petrell, Belanger, Smyth, Eager, etc occupying our bottom 6 as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad