Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Mike Brown for EDM 4th '14 (3rd if EDM Reaches Playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I dunno, I thought Brown had an alright night. He threw some good hits, had a chance to score on his first shift and skated well and showed energy on every shift. Nothing major, but I wasn't expecting anything else from him. I agree, Eager had an off game against columbus. Looked disinterested.

The definition of redundant contained herein.

Is it really any surprise Eager will now be even less effective with Brown recruited into the lineup? For reason of redundancy and complacency?

The only time here that Eager has looked content to play his role is with the team sitting his competitor, Hordichuk.

It sounds strange, I realize, but then Eager is a strange cat. Nearly anything distracts him from playing his assigned game, even scoring a goal.:laugh:

Eager and Brown on the same club is going to be interesting to watch. But not for the reasons commonly believed.

I'll be getting my popcorn out anyway I guess.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
This, and it's a very deep draft, so the chance of finding a quality player with the 4th pick is well above average. That picked would of been nice to take a 'flyer' on some goalie ... instead we now have Brown, Hordicuk and Eager in the system. Can this organization get any stupider.

The 2014 draft is? What are you even talking about? How would you even know this early? I'ts impossible. The only thing you can figure out about a draft 1.5 years away is some of the top-end talent NOW, not THEN.

Look at the 2003, one of the best drafts of all time, and tell me how much talent came out of the 4th round.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This, and it's a very deep draft, so the chance of finding a quality player with the 4th pick is well above average. That picked would of been nice to take a 'flyer' on some goalie ... instead we now have Brown, Hordicuk and Eager in the system. Can this organization get any stupider.

I take it Hordichuk didn't get claimed on waivers..

Interesting how yesterdays supposed solution to our problems is nobody elses. This kind of confirming that the list of teams interested in this prized fighter is null and zero. Despite suggestions when we got him that this was a good needed get by the org.

Hordi's was yesterdays answer to what this team needs by the faction presently foisting Brown in this same regard. With the same adjectives being used to describe the latest brand B detergent.

lather/rinse/repeat

Again whats the over/under on Brown even being here?

My take is gone this year or next season. Probably flying right through the waiver wire.

This is an AHL skillset player(if that) dining on an NHL ticket for one reason. Soon as he's unable to go regularly he has no value.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its getting all the collective angst ya-ya's out.

My take is that its being seen as all the org is willing to do to help another last place club. So its a catch all cauldron for discontent.;)

Clearly the Oilers need to flip a 1st, Gagner and Hemsky for wayne Simmonds! :yo:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well as much as we need help, I don't think Gagner and Hemsky are as valuable as people think they are.

Our most valuable commodity is the pick. Not Eberle, not RNH, not even Yakupov or Hall.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's just amusing. Our maniacal fanbase.

Oh I know, when I take a step back I can get amused about my obsessions as well.

Poor Brown. A lightning rod of our winters of discontent.

What a time to arrive.:amazed::help:

Ken Linseman, Craig Simpson etc arrived at the party at such better times..

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Oh I know, when I take a step back I can get amused about my obsessions as well.

Poor Brown. A lightning rod of our winters of discontent.

What a time to arrive.:amazed::help:

Ken Linseman, Craig Simpson etc arrived at the party at such better times..

This is so true. i sent myself to the corner for time out. The OIL = iT IS WHAT IT IS :help:

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
And look how it energized the team! :sarcasm:

The Red Wings certainly loved having Brown on the ice last night.

It's Brown's fault that Dubbie let in an uber-weak one moments later. Don't ... follow ... your logic.

Oilers have many, many problems. Brown ain't close to being one of them.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
He may not be a problem but he sure aint a solution to the problems we do have.
I think that's what's wrong with the move, it was meaningless and seemed to be more for appearances than for any benefit of the team. If the best move management can make to improve this team is picking up Brown or signing other 4th line pieces that have negligible impact then we're in trouble.

This, like I said the conditional 4th was beyond idiotic.

The Oilers aren't making the playoffs because of Brown so why it's conditional is ****ing Pejorative Slured. I assume Tambo sees the season is a write off and doesn't plan to do much else to help the team so he appeases Nonis and gives him a conditional pick in good faith bargaining. Oh well next off-season hopefully we can scoop up Seth and maybe another top propspect that doesn't want to sign. I mean now we got Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yaks and Schultz to wooo them all.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This raises another issue. IMO, hitting is a means to an end, not an end unto itself. It's a way to secure puck possession or neutralize an opposition player. Guys like Brown are bumper cars: banging into things without actually getting anywhere.

Also, as last night made clear, the reason Brown has so many opportunities to throw his weight around is that he's constantly chasing the puck.

So Lucic, Backes and Callahan are constantly chasing the puck too?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

How did you get that from what I wrote?:help:

Those guys are all legit Top 6 players with skills beyond hitting, though physicality is part of their game. When I talk about Brown and guys like him, it's pretty clear I'm not talking about them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He may not be a problem but he sure aint a solution to the problems we do have.
I think that's what's wrong with the move, it was meaningless and seemed to be more for appearances than for any benefit of the team. If the best move management can make to improve this team is picking up Brown or signing other 4th line pieces that have negligible impact then we're in trouble.

The basic trouble with recruiting one poorly skilled hockey player into the lineup is we have one more poorly skilled hockey player in the lineup.

Thats the obvious Occams Razor deduction.

How its felt that this improves the team is beyond me.

In fact the specific theoretical constructs were that such a player pumps up a team, gives them motivation and energy, provides role modeling for hard work, and that the above becomes infectious.

Theres no indication whatsoever in ANY shift in two game that any of the above has occurred. If anything the players seem to be looking on with: "Knock yourself out guy, you'll hate it here soon enough".

The Oilers as a team have played two completely un physical games since the insertion of Brown.

Now every response will be "Its only two games, give it time, how do you know jack****, yada yada.

Because a list of Hordichuk, Ben Eager, Smac, Stortini, Sutton, Peckham, Sutton etc tells you that the additions of a guy here or there that can fight and throw some hits makes very little difference at all. It never does.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Certainly your not suggesting these are a valid comparisons in any way to Brown. Why enter a discussion if you are not prepared to discuss it?

The above are astute, effective players that can read, respond to the game very well.

The only thing being comparable is physicality. The difference in hockey IQ and ability would be enormous.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This raises another issue. IMO, hitting is a means to an end, not an end unto itself. It's a way to secure puck possession or neutralize an opposition player. Guys like Brown are bumper cars: banging into things without actually getting anywhere.

Also, as last night made clear, the reason Brown has so many opportunities to throw his weight around is that he's constantly chasing the puck.

Yeah, I've noted the constant puck chasing as well. He anticipates the game poorly, goes chasing, goes from one out of position to another due to over pursuit. He does chase some hits.

He did have a good shot block and a couple good forcheck hits on the endboards. I would say he made 3 helpful plays in the game. Maybe a handful, others can point out some. But he certainly struggles in own end as well and spends a lot of time there. This of course meaning that we can't put him out there to rile up skilled opponents unless we don't even care about game results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->