To Tor:

:leafs

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Darnell Nurse
Ethan Bear
Philip Broberg
Andreas Athanasiou
2020 1st round pick

RNH needs a new contract next year and will want to get paid, same year that Hyman needs a new contract
AA needs a new contract this summer and wants to get paid
Bear needs a new contract this summer
Nurse has been signed for a two year bridge then UFA, wants to get paid and same year that Reilly is up
Broberg is a highly touted kid, nothing yet
Mid to late 1st

Value is certainly there it just looks like it will costing the TML through the nose to keep the players.

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
At first glance this is really bad for the leafs.

First off, why would we have any interest in upcoming UFA Nuge? To play 3c for a year and then walk? I also dont know why AA is there. Cap purposes? There is 0 interest there.

Muzzin is our 2nd best Dman and any Dman we are getting back is an immediate downgrade. Nurse could be there someday but for a team looking to win now it makes no sense. Also I take Sandin over Bear long term, quite easily.

A first and Broberg are nice pieces... for a rebuilding team. The fact that there is a 1 year rental, young players, prospects, and picks all in the same offer shows how terrible this really is.

And i didnt even mention the best piece in the trade by far, in Marner.

Value wise:

Sandin > Bear

AA >= Mikheyev (Same age, Mikheyev had a 0.59ppg, AA had .47ppg this season but is more proven. Both are RFA's, value is about a wash)

Muzzin =? Nurse (Muzzin is a bit better but also 6 years older. Value isnt far off)

So would you trade Mitch Marner for pending UFA Nuge, Broberg and a mid first?

Reactions: qqaz

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m a big Marner fan but the Oilers need an 11M dollar contract like I need a hole in my head.

For the Oilers this creates more holes then it fills and leaves them with less cap flexibility and assets to round out the roster.

My thought was, the Oilers get a running-mate for McDavid, while still getting a short-term top four guy in Muzzin. They could roll with McDavid/Marner on one line and Draisaitl/Yamamoto on the second line. Sandin could help them in future and they still have Bouchard in the system.

The Leafs retool their blue line now and for the future while also becoming a more balanced team.

But, I can understand why it seems crazy and why the Leafs wouldn’t want to part with Marner.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
At first glance this is really bad for the leafs.

First off, why would we have any interest in upcoming UFA Nuge? To play 3c for a year and then walk? I also dont know why AA is there. Cap purposes? There is 0 interest there.

Muzzin is our 2nd best Dman and any Dman we are getting back is an immediate downgrade. Nurse could be there someday but for a team looking to win now it makes no sense. Also I take Sandin over Bear long term, quite easily.

A first and Broberg are nice pieces... for a rebuilding team. The fact that there is a 1 year rental, young players, prospects, and picks all in the same offer shows how terrible this really is.

And i didnt even mention the best piece in the trade by far, in Marner.

Value wise:

Sandin > Bear

AA >= Mikheyev (Same age, Mikheyev had a 0.59ppg, AA had .47ppg this season but is more proven. Both are RFA's, value is about a wash)

Muzzin =? Nurse (Muzzin is a bit better but also 6 years older. Value isnt far off)

So would you trade Mitch Marner for pending UFA Nuge, Broberg and a mid first?

I may have overvalued Nurse and Bear. I saw them as top-4 defenders on the Leafs. I didn’t realize Sandin was as highly regarded as Bear, since Bear has already proven to be a solid young player at the NHL level.

As for Muzzin, he’s a solid player right now, but I thought getting out from under that contract would be a positive for the Leafs. He’s already 31, that deal isn’t going to age well. Toronto gets much younger on defence and better on the blue line in the future. They could also extend Nugent-Hopkins if they wanted to and he also plays LW.

But, it’s an insane deal, so I can totally understand both teams not wanting to do it haha

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I may have overvalued Nurse and Bear. I saw them as top-4 defenders on the Leafs. I didn’t realize Sandin was as highly regarded as Bear, since Bear has already proven to be a solid young player at the NHL level.

As for Muzzin, he’s a solid player right now, but I thought getting out from under that contract would be a positive for the Leafs. He’s already 31, that deal isn’t going to age well. Toronto gets much younger on defence and better on the blue line in the future. They could also extend Nugent-Hopkins if they wanted to and he also plays LW.

But, it’s an insane deal, so I can totally understand both teams not wanting to do it haha
I dont think you overvalued Nurse and Bear, I just think you undervalued Muzzin and Sandin.

Why would toronto want to "get out from under" Muzzins contract? They extended him a couple months ago.

Signing Nuge to a massive deal (he will want one) just to slide him to LW, would be a terrible idea for the leafs. The last thing they need is another forward making big money. They already have Hyman needing a raise next year.

Big pass, I would only move Marner for a similarly valued Dman around his age. A collection of pieces trying to add up to his value wont do it for me.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Yeah lets destroy our D for an overpaid winger that just makes the team strapped for depth going forward.

Yah this pretty much sums it up for me. Marner is very good but we cant afford another big contract. Especially not for a winger. It makes no sense.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Neither side does it as both sides value their players higher than the other team players and the oilers are killing what little depth they have

Last edited:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Sandin has more value then Morgan Rielly imo. He’s going to be a star and is on a ELC. Bear is meh never going to be a Norris Canidate where I could see Sandin coming one.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oilers get the best player by a long shot. No reason for the Leafs to do this.

Since the Wild were mentioned:)DD), something like Fiala + Dumba would be more in the ballpark.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Marner > RNH
Muzzin > Nurse
Sandin > Bear

Seems fair...

Sandin isn’t better than Bear right now. He might be one day, but that day isn’t today. I like Sandin as well for what it’s worth, I had him targeted with our 2nd round pick in his draft year. He was a good pick for the Leafs late in the 1st.

Muzzin and Nurse are basically a wash. Nurse is better offensively and Muzzin is better defensively. Both bring a physical element that all D cores need.

Yes, Marner > Nuge.

Reactions: TFHockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad