TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
:rangers

Edmonton Oilers 2018 2nd

:edmonton

Igor Shestyorkin

Talbot has one more year on his contract. Edmonton needs a back up who can push Cam and play 20-25 games. If Shestyorkin outplays Talbot the Oilers have leverage in negotiations.

By all accounts the 2nd is a high one.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Shestyorkin isn't being dealt for a 2nd round pick.

He's a possible future #1 goalie.

I think Edmonton could add a prospect. I wasn't sure how much the NYR value their KHL prospect. Maybe we add Caleb Jones and the Rangers add a 3rd or 4th?

Edit: I think the Rangers have a few good goalies in their system... that's why I thought Shestyorkin could be available.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
NYR goalies to EDM.... Talbot, Montoya ... and I believe Oilers also acquired Mike Richter for a day.

Reactions: TrentonF

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
No shot. I think Georgiev could be had for a 2nd round pick, though. He's a 22 year old goaltender who put up solid numbers in the AHL and NHL this year.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Edmonton Oilers 2018 2nd

Igor Shestyorkin

Talbot has one more year on his contract. Edmonton needs a back up who can push Cam and play 20-25 games. If Shestyorkin outplays Talbot the Oilers have leverage in negotiations.

Absolutely not. Shesty is not available.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think Edmonton could add a prospect. I wasn't sure how much the NYR value their KHL prospect. Maybe we add Caleb Jones and the Rangers add a 3rd or 4th?

Edit: I think the Rangers have a few good goalies in their system... that's why I thought Shestyorkin could be available.

Unless you or someone absolutely blow the doors off (think Klefbomb), the Rangers aren't trading him. He's the likely successor to Henrik Lundqvist.

And I doubt anyone will blow the doors off for someone whose yet to start an NHL game. His value to NYR right now can't be matched in a trade.

Reactions: Phoicon

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Shestyorkin is virtually untouchable. He's arguably out best prospect, if not then definitely #2.

With Hank's career winding down we need him.

Reactions: Phoicon

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think NYR fans did damper their prediction for the guy. I saw the guy play about a dozen times over the past two season.. love cheap flights to saint Pete from London(beautiful city year round) and his numbers are soft and it could take awhile to adjust to North American hockey and demands of being a starter. Also remember he was playing on a team that was one of the best KHL teams. I think he will two years and the farm to not only adjust to na hockey but playing a lot of games. Something he did not do this year

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
A 2nd is a massive overpay for Georgiev. Dude had a .909 in the AHL.

Talbot put up a .902 in the AHL when he was older than Georgiev.. with a better AHL team than what Georgiev had in front of him.

Georgiev also had a very good string of games in the NHL (also with an AHL defense in front of him). Using the words "massive overpay" is a stretch - sure, his value is probably a 3rd and not a 2nd. But we have no real reason to give him up.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Edmonton Oilers 2018 2nd

Igor Shestyorkin

I will politely decline. Shestyorkin is one of the top goaltending prospects in the world. As risky as goaltenders are, if he hits his potential he could be a star in the NHL. It would take significantly more than a 2nd rounder.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012

Edmonton Oilers 2018 2nd

Igor Shestyorkin

Rangers aren't giving him up for a 2nd bro. He's Lundqvists successor.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I think NYR fans did damper their prediction for the guy. I saw the guy play about a dozen times over the past two season.. love cheap flights to saint Pete from London(beautiful city year round) and his numbers are soft and it could take awhile to adjust to North American hockey and demands of being a starter. Also remember he was playing on a team that was one of the best KHL teams. I think he will two years and the farm to not only adjust to na hockey but playing a lot of games. Something he did not do this year

This is a fair assessment. I don't think any reasonable fans expect him to step in and be Lundqvist 2.0 or anything like that, at least not right away. But his numbers, even if they are inflated, are impossible to ignore IMO...pair that with his athletic ability and the fact that he's currently heir apparent for the Rangers net. a 2nd isn't a big enough return to hedge against losing your next #1 goalie. Just not going to happen...

And to those saying that Georgiev for a 2nd is an overpayment, maybe on the surface it is. But if you watched him play this year in the NHL, he's got a lot of great qualities. Obviously it's a small sample size and he's not proven an ability to do it over the course of a full season in the NHL...but he's got the makings of a very good backup, at the very least. I'd be just as fine holding him for that reason.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I fail to see how that has anything to do with his value to us and why we would absolutely not trade him away barring a very significant return [which a 2nd round pick absolutely is not].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad