Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NSH/CBJ] Mark Letestu to Columbus, Pontus Aberg to Edmonton, 4th to Nashville

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I like this for the Oil. He's nothing more than a 4th liner, but he's got great wheels, is good on the forecheck, and is under contract next year at 650k.

A 4th line next year of Aberg-Khaira-Kassian sounds good to me, and it comes in just over 3 mil. Not bad work by Chia.

Reactions: A91 and TrentonF

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is this good for the Oilers? And what type of player is Aberg?

Well it's a depth prospect who's in his early 20s who should be closer to being a productive NHLer then what a 4th will produce. Odds are he doesn't do shit... so in that sense, it's kind of meh for the Oilers... on the other hand, odds are a 4th wouldn't do shit for them either... so yeah.

Personally I like it, even though Aberg is a longshot. If he does do anything, it will be in the next 24 months or sooner. That 4th wouldn't be doing anything for 5 years.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm not sure why Nashville would need to do this to make space for Tolvanen. Can someone save me some CBA-reading time? Tolvanen won't come over until after the deadline if I'm not mistaken, and by then rosters have expanded. Nashville only had 43/50 contract spots taken.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Well it's a depth prospect who's in his early 20s who should be closer to being a productive NHLer then what a 4th will produce. Odds are he doesn't do ****... so in that sense, it's kind of meh for the Oilers... on the other hand, odds are a 4th wouldn't do **** for them either... so yeah.

Personally I like it, even though Aberg is a longshot. If he does do anything, it will be in the next 24 months or sooner. That 4th wouldn't be doing anything for 5 years.

Aberg didn't produce much, but he played better than his numbers read. There's a chance that if he is given an opportunity in the top 9 in Edmonton that the change of scenery helps him get on the scoresheet more often, but yeah I wouldn't expect him to produce much. He's basically the classic low-risk/high-reward type of trade. If it works out? Great. If not? Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad