Confirmed Trade: [EDM/MTL] Brett Kulak for William Lagesson, 2022 conditional 2nd round pick, 2024 7th round pick,

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would guess the only hesitation on Edmonton's part is we have a few good LD prospects coming up as well (Broberg, Niemelainen, and I still have some hope for Samorukov) so we might not want to lock down 3LD for that long, but I guess we'll see what happens. With the price we paid for him I'd rather lock him down and then maybe trade him if the prospects are really bubbling up.
As long as their is no NTC it shouldn't be an issue. Broberg will hopefully take over for Keith, Samurokov can play right side and if Neimelainen takes 3LD and we need to trade Kulak, that shouldn't be an issue. If 2M x 3 years gets it done then do it.

Reactions: spaghtti

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He was underrated with the Habs given he had to play a bigger role given our defense has been shit.

He's a very solid 3rd pairing guy, who can fill in for periods in the top 4 and won't look out of place. Glad he's doing well so far with the Oilers.

Reactions: Runner77

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I love how his last game with the Habs was the game he dangled through Ottawa and scored a highlight reel goal. Probably his best moment as a hab.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If the trade was about the value for Hutson's NCAA team then yeah you can call it a good trade already.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was talking about. Not the upside difference between the guy with historic NCAA production and Poehling never even reaching PPG. Every NCAA player is going to be the next Poehling regardless of upside right?

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Yeah that’s exactly what I was talking about. Not the upside difference between the guy with historic NCAA production and Poehling never even reaching PPG. Every NCAA player is going to be the next Poehling regardless of upside right?

I mean, he'll probably be good, but usually its better to have more than a couple games under a player's belt before anointing them. Something something Matt Gilroy

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I mean, he'll probably be good, but usually it’s better to have more than a couple games under a player's belt before anointing them. Something something Matt Gilroy
He needs more games, but the Poehling comparison is laughable.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
He needs more games, but the Poehling comparison is laughable.
The comparison is moreso between the situations (anointing hyped prospect after a couple end of season games) not the players. Poehling isn't as hyped as Hutson but he was coming into the NHL as a first round pick with big things expected of him and for a few end of season games he looked like it.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

These types of threads are always hilarious to me. Congratulations, you hit on a late second round pick.

There was no need to bump this thread as a "gotcha" on the Oilers. The Oilers don't have a good history of drafting (last second round pick to play meaningful NHL games was made in 2018) and at this point, Hutson isn't even close to being the best second round pick that was recently taken with an Oilers draft pick. That honour goes to Brock Faber.

Kulak has been solid for the Oilers and seems to step up his game in the playoffs. This isn't the first or the last time a mid to bottom role player gets traded for a draft pick that hits.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
These types of threads are always hilarious to me. Congratulations, you hit on a late second round pick.

There was no need to bump this thread as a "gotcha" on the Oilers. The Oilers don't have a good history of drafting (last second round pick to play meaningful NHL games was made in 2018) and at this point, Hutson isn't even close to being the best second round pick that was recently taken with an Oilers draft pick. That honour goes to Brock Faber.

Kulak has been solid for the Oilers and seems to step up his game in the playoffs. This isn't the first or the last time a mid to bottom role player gets traded for a draft pick that hits.

Good trade for both teams.

It always rubs me the wrong way when fans go back in history and say things like "Edmonton traded Hutson for Kulak" which just isn't true. We traded the pick that Montreal used to select Hutson. That player could have been Niklas Kokko, Elias Salomonsson, or Dmitri Buchelnikov (who all went before Hutson). Furthermore, it's not like we were at the draft table and traded the pick knowing Hutson was available or anything - the pick was long gone.

Teams don't judge San Jose or Dallas for trading away the 6th round pick that was eventually used on Mark Stone. I don't see why Edmonton trading away a pick would be seen as a bad move - regardless of who it becomes.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Good trade for both teams.

It always rubs me the wrong way when fans go back in history and say things like "Edmonton traded Hutson for Kulak" which just isn't true. We traded the pick that Montreal used to select Hutson. That player could have been Niklas Kokko, Elias Salomonsson, or Dmitri Buchelnikov (who all went before Hutson). Furthermore, it's not like we were at the draft table and traded the pick knowing Hutson was available or anything - the pick was long gone.

Teams don't judge San Jose or Dallas for trading away the 6th round pick that was eventually used on Mark Stone. I don't see why Edmonton trading away a pick would be seen as a bad move - regardless of who it becomes.
Especially when Edmonton was in a place where they needed a veteran bottom pair defenseman to solidify the teams depth during what should be prime contending years. I'm glad Montreal got a good young player for it, but you're correct, its frustrating to hear the comments suggesting the Oilers could have had Hutson. For all anyone here knows, our GM would have used the pick on Joey NoFuture and we could have had nothing.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
With Broberg likely to take his spot and we likely move his money out soon he's expendable but he's been damn good in the playoffs for us. Well worth the price even though I distinctly remember not liking it at the time.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Especially when Edmonton was in a place where they needed a veteran bottom pair defenseman to solidify the teams depth during what should be prime contending years. I'm glad Montreal got a good young player for it, but you're correct, its frustrating to hear the comments suggesting the Oilers could have had Hutson. For all anyone here knows, our GM would have used the pick on Joey NoFuture and we could have had nothing.
Hey hey.. no need to bring me into this.

• Haha
Reactions: ManofSteel55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad