Confirmed Trade: [EDM/MTL] Brett Kulak for William Lagesson, 2022 conditional 2nd round pick, 2024 7th round pick,

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
He's a good skater and always looking to move the puck. May fit in very well with Edmonton. His D isn't great but puts in the effort and sticks up for his teammates.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Imagine proposing a Kulak for a 2nd trade offer last week? :sarcasm:

In fairness, Kulak don't suck. He's a very effective bottom pairing quality. Big boy that skates well but will not put up offense. Vision can be a problem with puck movement at times. A type you can play in the top 4D but only with injuries.

I'm surprised we got a 2nd. I was expecting a 3rd at best.
Montreal is also retaining 50% of the cap hit. Thats why you guys got a 2nd

Reactions: McDoused

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I was expecting 50% retention regardless. I was aware of cap issues for several playoff teams but I would have not guessed a 2nd rounder for Kulak. 3rd at best is where my mind was at (even with retention). Retention for pending UFA's for teams selling and have unused cap space is not a big problem to them. In Kulak's case, it's like $250k of real cash.

OB5

May 2, 2015
so Montreal retaining an inconsequential number so edmonton can acquire a player to fit under their cap got them a top 64 player in this year or next year's draft? Seems like a W to me.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have to wonder if some Oiler fans are changing their minds about the trade not being a big over pay by Holland.
2nd rnd, 7th rnd picks, and Laggesson.... pricey for a so so 3rd pairing rental guy.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So the cost to Montreal for that upgrade to a 2nd rnd pick is about $230,000. (Kulak was owed about $460,000 in salary for the balance of the season)..

I suspect Kent Hughs, when he got that deal, was running out of the building yelling "Start the car! Start the car!" .

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I have to wonder if some Oiler fans are changing their minds about the trade not being a big over pay by Holland.
2nd rnd, 7th rnd picks, and Laggesson.... pricey for a so so 3rd pairing rental guy.

Laggesson was absolutely awful for us in the first game and likely doesn't see another start so it's essentially Kulak (50% retained) for 2nd + 7th...not a bad trade for Oilers, maybe they overpaid but not by much imo. Hopefully they're liking Kulak.

I think this could end up being a win/win

Reactions: Prairie Habs

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Kulak has really good moments and the occassional error. Good at puck transition and decently defensively. He looks better then Keith. If we resign him I dont mind the cost. Hopefully we get to the 3rd round and kulak plays 2nd pairing. I would much rather pay our keith and kulak debts off this year.

Reactions: RattsSSV

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think most Oiler fans know it was an overpay. That's what happens at the trade deadline. We needed an actual NHL caliber player at 3LD. We basically gave up a 2nd to get one, which is steep, but Lagesson was probably not getting qualified here anyway.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kulak has really good moments and the occassional error. Good at puck transition and decently defensively. He looks better then Keith. If we resign him I dont mind the cost. Hopefully we get to the 3rd round and kulak plays 2nd pairing. I would much rather pay our keith and kulak debts off this year.
Don't be ridiculous. Keith looks like your average 2nd pair defenseman. Kulak looks fine as 3LD.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I don't think a 2nd for a guy that will play 17 mins is an over payment.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He's been good. Better than I thought he would be. Barrie got pushed off the puck last night and Kulak wasn't able to fix it but that's not really his fault.

Reactions: TFHockey

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It is. If they make the finals its a 2023 2nd, if they don't its a 2022 2nd.
I believe Keith also has to play over 20 minutes a game in the playoffs for the 2nd to head to Chicago, but I'd have to read the condition again.

Edit - no sorry it's just as you said. If Edmonton make the finals Montreal receives Edmonton's 2023 2nd.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So price aside, how does he look so far ?

He‘s been decent, excellent skater as was noted when the trade happened. He’s playing on the bottom pairing with Barrie and they’ve actually been not bad.

He‘s an improvement to our D core and being from northern Alberta there’s a decent chance they can re-sign him. That means we don’t have to rush Broberg into a spot next year and he can continue his strong play in Bakersfield.

Definitely an upgrade over guys like Russell, Lagesson, etc. on the bottom pairing. Kulak is an NHL caliber D man and we need those while in a playoff push.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Don't be ridiculous. Keith looks like your average 2nd pair defenseman. Kulak looks fine as 3LD.
We have different definitions of ridiculous. The thought of Keith battling with Kulak at this point in his career for minutes isnt ridiculous,, Kulak will crush Keith in 5v5 minutes once he is better aquainted with the team. Keith and Barrie would make an excellent 3rd pair. Kulak and Bouchard will be p2 eventually

Reactions: majormajor

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
Kulak fits fine into the 3rd pair .. wish he was a bit stronger on the puck .. but it is what it is .. good skater .. solid 3rd pair dude ..can't complain .. still feels like a slight overpayment.. but I'm okay with the price

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kulak is a lot closer to guys like Russell and Koekkoek than Keith. No way Keith gets healthy scratched down the stretch.. Cant be said the same for Kulak.

Overpayment when a 2nd was spent but a 2nd isn't really worth much either to Oilers.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We have different definitions of ridiculous. The thought of Keith battling with Kulak at this point in his career for minutes isnt ridiculous,, Kulak will crush Keith in 5v5 minutes once he is better aquainted with the team. Keith and Barrie would make an excellent 3rd pair. Kulak and Bouchard will be p2 eventually
I'm not sure if you are underrating how Keith has played, overrating what Kulak is capable of, or both. Keith has been fine as our 2LD. There's no reason to think he needs to be pushed to 3LD.

Reactions: voxel

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
3 points and +5 tonight including his first goal as an Oiler.

Beauty pass on Drai’s 50th goal. Him and Barrie have had some good moments together in the last little bit they seem to be settling in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad