Confirmed Trade: [EDM/MTL] Brett Kulak for William Lagesson, 2022 conditional 2nd round pick, 2024 7th round pick,

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Has been a great fit and has formed a really solid pairing with Barrie that moves the puck very well and is defending surprisingly well.
There is absolutely nothing surprising about that. He's nothing exceptional in his own zone, but he's usually very safe and sound positionnally for a 3rd pairing guy. His bread and butter is in how he shuts down opposing transition - and that's been the case for years.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There is absolutely nothing surprising about that. He's nothing exceptional in his own zone, but he's usually very safe and sound positionnally for a 3rd pairing guy. His bread and butter is in how he shuts down opposing transition - and that's been the case for years.
I was more talking about his pairing with Barrie, who tends to have some defending shortcomings. I wasn't worried about Kulak being solid in the D zone. It's more that the pairing as a whole has been good defensively that has come as the surprise.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Dude, we got a lot of young D coming up. A lot. We definitely have to make some room for them.

That's right. He's not coming back. He'd be good enough to slot in the lineup, but the team is headed in another direction.

He absolutely surpassed expectations while here and grew a lot throughout his time.

Reactions: HabsQC

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I wonder if the Oilers will want to re-sign Kulak? That was my takeaway when I learned that he was from AB. I think his next contract might not be so bad a signing whoever inks him to it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wonder if the Oilers will want to re-sign Kulak? That was my takeaway when I learned that he was from AB. I think his next contract might not be so bad a signing whoever inks him to it.
I think that's probably the goal for Holland. He needs to shore up the depth on the blueline a bit so I hope they can get him for a good deal. Edmonton media were talking that Montreal wanted to re sign him too though. Might be a little bidding war for him.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think that's probably the goal for Holland. He needs to shore up the depth on the blueline a bit so I hope they can get him for a good deal. Edmonton media were talking that Montreal wanted to re sign him too though. Might be a little bidding war for him.
I'd be pretty surprised if Montreal was interested in bringing Kulak back TBH. I think that was smoke and mirrors. Not that they wouldn't take him back for free, I just doubt they will want to sign him to the type of deal he will likely be looking for as a UFA.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I seem to remember seeing that his agent wanted 3-4 years in the low 2 million range. I'd happily give him that. Keith keeps Broberg's seat warm and Kulak has really stabilized the third pairing.

I do think we overpaid, but it's whatever. He's been good.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I seem to remember seeing that his agent wanted 3-4 years in the low 2 million range. I'd happily give him that. Keith keeps Broberg's seat warm and Kulak has really stabilized the third pairing.

I do think we overpaid, but it's whatever. He's been good.
I think if he signs and is a good fit in EDM he'll be a bargain. The Habs have a logjam of young LHD prospects coming up (and a few too many contracts to get rid of) so they probably wouldn't want to lock in Brett Kulak to a multi-year deal. I'm not super familiar with EDM, but if he's a good fit on the 3rd pair, EDM is more in win now mode and the handy thing about Kulak is he can play up the lineup for stretches.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think if he signs and is a good fit in EDM he'll be a bargain. The Habs have a logjam of young LHD prospects coming up (and a few too many contracts to get rid of) so they probably wouldn't want to lock in Brett Kulak to a multi-year deal. I'm not super familiar with EDM, but if he's a good fit on the 3rd pair, EDM is more in win now mode and the handy thing about Kulak is he can play up the lineup for stretches.

I would guess the only hesitation on Edmonton's part is we have a few good LD prospects coming up as well (Broberg, Niemelainen, and I still have some hope for Samorukov) so we might not want to lock down 3LD for that long, but I guess we'll see what happens. With the price we paid for him I'd rather lock him down and then maybe trade him if the prospects are really bubbling up.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I would guess the only hesitation on Edmonton's part is we have a few good LD prospects coming up as well (Broberg, Niemelainen, and I still have some hope for Samorukov) so we might not want to lock down 3LD for that long, but I guess we'll see what happens. With the price we paid for him I'd rather lock him down and then maybe trade him if the prospects are really bubbling up.
I bet that's the idea - he sounded pretty emotional getting traded to the OIlers so I guess it's a big deal for him to be playing for them. That's never a bad thing.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
My only complaint with this play so far is that he has been absolutely run over a couple of times. Puts himself in some bad positions to get crunched.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Samo could step into bottom-pair soon... at the beginning of this season I said no way. Either it was his injury or his development was behind - he was NOT ready for the NHL and that callup was a terrible decision. I have the same opinion about Holloway. Don't rush him.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Broberg is capable of playing both sides and has actually looked a bit better on the right side in NHL so far so his status is definitely flexible (we should probably be looking to trade away Barrie anyway to open up cap space for for Pool/Yamo's pay raises). If Niemelainen/Samorukov improve to the point where they can push Kulak out of the lineup then it means they've developed beyond expectations and that's a good problem to have.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Samo could step into bottom-pair soon... at the beginning of this season I said no way. Either it was his injury or his development was behind - he was NOT ready for the NHL and that callup was a terrible decision. I have the same opinion about Holloway. Don't rush him.
Both Samo/Holloway came off some big injuries this past offseason. Spending a full year in the AHL will be both good for their development and their physical health.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad