Confirmed Trade: [EDM/MTL] Brett Kulak for William Lagesson, 2022 conditional 2nd round pick, 2024 7th round pick,

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Kulak didn’t make Petry better, Petry makes Petry better.

Kulak is great on transition. But once in the offensive zone the play usually leads to nowhere. Maybe in Edmonton with McDavid and Draisatl things can be different
Barrie literally lead the league in defensive scoring mostly because of secondary assists. Edmonton's biggest weakness is transition play from the back end. McDavid and Draisaitl just need them to get the puck onto their sticks while attacking. They can do the rest.

Importantly this also lowers the responsibility on Duncan Keiths shoulders. He and Bouchard will be much more effective on the third pairing.

Lagesson was going UFA and is effectively a cap dump, with 50% retention this makes a lot more sense and while I still consider a 2nd being relatively steep, this could end up being a very good deal down the stretch for edm.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The 2nd round pick conditions effectively are if the Duncan Keith conditions aren't met and Edmonton would keep their 2022 2nd Habs get it and if the 2022 2nd goes to Chicago Habs get the 2023 one instead. I like it.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Absurd. Why would the Oilers think Kulak is worth a 2nd?!?!

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He's better than you think. He can skate and move the puck. He's fine defensively, but generally won't do much offensively. Not overly physical, but doesn't get pushed around either.

He can also play both sides, and has improved a lot for Montreal over the last 3 years.

He's better than both Lauzon (who went for a 2nd, but is also younger and RFA) and Braun (who went for 3rd).

He's an underrated player. I can't see him being too tough to resign too. It doesn't have to be a rental deal.

Lagesson is a cap dump in this trade. Can't see Montreal signing him.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
He's better than you think. He can skate and move the puck. He's fine defensively, but generally won't do much offensively. Not overly physical, but doesn't get pushed around either.

He can also play both sides, and has improved a lot for Montreal over the last 3 years.

He's better than both Lauzon (who went for a 2nd, but is also younger and RFA) and Braun (who went for 3rd).

He's an underrated player. I can't see him being too tough to resign too. It doesn't have to be a rental deal.

I think Holland looked at this as long term. Kulak is from around here. Oilers do not need any more offensive from any incoming dmen. Just steady at D

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers get a player that helps their roster that they have a good chance of retaining and Habs get good value for him in the form of futures.

Isn't this the definition of a win-win deal?

A 2nd is higher than I'd like to pay but they market was pretty expensive around the league.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

His skating ability has come up multiple times. The Oilers really push the pace much more in Woodcroft’s system both with and without the puck.

Hopefully he fits in well, could see him being partnered with Barrie.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I think Holland looked at this as long term. Kulak is from around here. Oilers do not need any more offensive from any incoming dmen. Just steady at D
Absolutely. I see no reason why he wouldn't sign in Edmonton. He just turned 28 too.

Holland said he didn't want to give up 1sts or 2nds for rentals, but I think he feels he can sign him. And, I think so too, and it won't break the bank.

Montreal even with Kulak / Chiarot trades still have a lot of depth on leftside going into next year. It's our strongest position within the organization.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kulak is better than most people here are thinking. He might be the best defensive guy on that blueline. It still annoys me that the Flames gave him away for nothing and then went out and spent multiple picks on worse depth defenders. He'll be a nice fit in Edmonton and he got Montreal a good return.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
His skating ability has come up multiple times. The Oilers really push the pace much more in Woodcroft’s system both with and without the puck.

Hopefully he fits in well, could see him being partnered with Barrie.
He's now the best skater on your D. It's his best feature, and he can skate the puck out himself if he needs to. Defensively, he's fine. He's an analytical darling on the defensive end, but isn't creative offensively. Occasionally, he'll surprise you though.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
A bit of an overpay but not an egregious one like some posters seem to think. I would take Kulak over Keith right now no questions asked.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He's now the best skater on your D. It's his best feature, and he can skate the puck out himself if he needs to. Defensively, he's fine. He's an analytical darling on the defensive end, but isn't creative offensively. Occasionally, he'll surprise you though.
Nurse and when Broberg is on the squad say Hi.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Absolutely. I see no reason why he wouldn't sign in Edmonton. He just turned 28 too.

Holland said he didn't want to give up 1sts or 2nds for rentals, but I think he feels he can sign him. And, I think so too, and it won't break the bank.

Montreal even with Kulak / Chiarot trades still have a lot of depth on leftside going into next year. It's our strongest position within the organization.
Why would EDM sign him when they got Broberg and Neimelainen knocking on the door... Depends on his play I guess

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
alright so if I get straight, it's a second if they make finals with Keith, it becomes a second otherwise its a 3rd. This deal also includes lagesson, who continues to fail in breaking onto an oilers team that needs D pretty bad. Also a 7th two years from now which will most likely not be worth anything.

Why did this trade crash the site?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Nurse and when Broberg is on the squad say Hi.
He's as good.
Why would EDM sign him when they got Broberg and Neimelainen knocking on the door... Depends on his play I guess
Neimelainen can't skate & can't move the puck.
If you don't want to sign him then don't, but the potential is there. Not a lot of players want to play in Edmonton even with McDrai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad