Confirmed with Link: [EDM/MIN] Ilya Bryzgalov for MIN 4th Round Pick 2014

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
MacT turned a no risk, no asset loss in an UFA signing with Bryzgalov into a 4th round pick. That's a minor miracle considering the player's recent playing history. I like this deal more than the Fasth one.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Can't agree at all that Fasth is better than Bryz.

I would say with certainty that Bryz and Scrivens would be a better pairing going forward if this was possible.

Most concerning is this puts the oil back into a no Bonafide #1 again. We have two backups. We've tried that before..

I like Bryz pushing Scrivens a whole lot more than Scrivens now getting the lionshare and Fasth the odd game.

Fasth is MUCH better than Bryz. It's not even a question about it.

Fasth/Scrivens is a much stronger tandem than Scrivs/Bryz.

Fasth can actually challenge Scrivs and might very well take over the starting job.

He's much more competition than Bryz is and would've been. Bryz was a decent backup but that's all he was whereas Fasth can emerge as the #1. He's already shown flashes of it.

The only thing that worries me is his injuries. If he can stay healthy we won't have a goaltending issue next season.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
A 4th rounder in 2014?

Man... sounds to me like nobody had any interest in him at all!

I'm guessing that Mac-T made this deal because he liked the price for Fasth so much and wanted to get rid of Bryz just to make that deal happen. Thought we'd at least get a 3rd from this draft. Guess his lack of patience hurt his value.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
A 4th rounder in 2014?

Man... sounds to me like nobody had any interest in him at all!

I'm guessing that Mac-T made this deal because he liked the price for Fasth so much and wanted to get rid of Bryz just to make that deal happen. Thought we'd at least get a 3rd from this draft. Guess his lack of patience hurt his value.

Penner got just a 4th as well so I don't know how much we really could have expected for UFA Bryz. There's a fair number of goalies out there on the market so it's not as if Bryz was that highly regarded and sought after.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Penner got just a 4th as well so I don't know how much we really could have expected for UFA Bryz. There's a fair number of goalies out there on the market so it's not as if Bryz was that highly regarded and sought after.

That Penner deal was downright SHOCKING! He's a consistent, reliable and durable player!!! A 4th rounder in a downright HORRIBLE draft year?! What the hell!?

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
That Penner deal was downright SHOCKING! He's a consistent, reliable and durable player!!! A 4th rounder in a downright HORRIBLE draft year?! What the hell!?

Did you miss his whole stint here lol. I like Penner but he was not very consistent here

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
So Bryz said his first practise was hard because the pace in Minnesota was much faster than Edmonton

And Smid said his first practice in Calgary was a big wake-up, too. How on earth does fitness freak Eakins not run hard practices???

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
We now have a 4th and Bryz was leaving anyway, might as well salvage something.
i wouldn't say he "salvaged" anything, unless you're Katz. it's a simple win for the team. he bought a 4th for about $1M plus overhead ($2.27M * 38/82).

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i dont see the need to have up tempo practices if we are just going to be chopping wood and carrying water

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Probably a mandate from management to take it easy on our "kids" in practice just trickling down to everyone else.

Also it might just be harder on Bryz there because every shot isn't fired into his crest or over the glass.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't know if people remember me going ape **** about the STL home games here.

From the pregame skate on it was so evident STL was skating sharply, getting a brisk pregame in and complete with up tempo, paced drills and which other team was pretending they were out playing some pickup river hockey. The Oilers pregame skate and lack of energy was so shocking I was left ranting about it.

You knew the Oilers weren't in those games before they started.:amazed:

This is a pro club?

McBold

Jan 22, 2005
The good old days when Edmonton was known around the league for being the hardest working team. I'd be fine with trading this whole team for group of lunch pail kind of players.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I don't know if people remember me going ape **** about the STL home games here.

From the pregame skate on it was so evident STL was skating sharply, getting a brisk pregame in and complete with up tempo, paced drills and which other team was pretending they were out playing some pickup river hockey. The Oilers pregame skate and lack of energy was so shocking I was left ranting about it.

You knew the Oilers weren't in those games before they started.:amazed:

This is a pro club?

That's debatable at this moment..... The coaches can yell at players all they want...tell them to try harder or whatever..... But if the player does not have that internal motor to give his all on his own, it's not really gonna matter in the end..... But hey ...it's just PRACTICE....we talking about PRACTICE...as AI would say:sarcasm:

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I watched an open practice last year and even though it was my first time watching a pro practice, I was surprised by how slow paced and laid back it was. I called CHED later on that year and commented and basically got laughed at.

This is 3 guys who have been traded to non-elite, very average teams, Nashville, Calgary and Minnesota, and almost immediately commented on how they needed to adjust to a faster pace in practice.

It's ok though, we'll be fine...

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 7h
Whoever does Ilya Bryzgalov's masks work fast. pic.twitter.com/lS34CxnkBV
BiI4hM4CQAERPcZ.jpg

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
That is really sad/disturbing to hear.

So that's NSH, MIN and CGY who have all made them look bad. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad