Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] G Jack Campbell signs with the Oilers (5 years, $5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Skinner looks like he is going to be a heck of a goalie. I am sure if the Oilers knew he would play this well they would have gone a different route. Buyout for Campbell is I believe 1.5m for 8 seasons if he continues this level of play. I can't imagine he does not bounce back somewhat though.

Reactions: Ciao

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
If Campbell can string a few wins together he could snap out of this funk. Put him into games against lower octane offenses and commit to a much stronger effort defensively. That's the kind of management/help he needs to get his game back. I'm sure he's popular within in the room so I doubt the skaters would mind sacrificing the odd offensive opportunity to help him through this.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think Campbell is not as good as he looked early last year, and not as bad as he's looked early this year.

If the Oilers don't dump him in a panic -- and there's no reason to think they will -- I think they will eventually get some value from him.

I'm also glad the Leafs didn't lock in on him a 5x5. Their original offer of 2.85 or whatever was reported doesn't look so out of line now. Probably the bigger thing was term, because he was still fairly unproven and a risky signing at any price.

The Oilers should get more from him than what they've seen so far.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You could have had Georgiev, but you know, we were told he's barely a backup goalie and not better than anything you currently already have.

All joking aside, Campbell was one of the worst goalies in the league the second half of last season. Was this outcome not predictable?
Signing a guy like Campbell who had a bad second half would be fine, just not for term. Georgiev had his warts as well, but he was smart to trade for because he came with little commitment

I get what Holland was doing. He wants a high end goalie he doesn't have to pay Vasi money. If Georgiev keeps this up he will command more than Campbell I'd think. We should have not gambled like that. I know we were desperate for goaltending bit I'd rather try out guys like Samsonov

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
5 year term was nonsense. Leafs are one of the best regular season teams and they make their goalies look better.

Worth a shot to sign Campbell but this is tracking another Koskinen situation. 2 years should have been the max offer. Maybe 3

Take note on what the Avs are doing. Oilers could have Georgiev and Skinner if they wanted to. Thinking Campbell was a 5 year solution is weird. But yeah... look at those "stats"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Campbell is not as good as he looked early last year, and not as bad as he's looked early this year.

If the Oilers don't dump him in a panic -- and there's no reason to think they will -- I think they will eventually get some value from him.

I'm also glad the Leafs didn't lock in on him a 5x5. Their original offer of 2.85 or whatever was reported doesn't look so out of line now. Probably the bigger thing was term, because he was still fairly unproven and a risky signing at any price.

The Oilers should get more from him than what they've seen so far.

I agree with your 1st sentence. However, that 5 year term was risky. It's tracking Koskinen contract

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
When reality is bleak, people often turn to fantasy for a laugh.
I think you have me confused with an Oilers fan now. My teams future isnt bleak :naughty:

5 year term was nonsense. Leafs are one of the best regular season teams and they make their goalies look better.

Worth a shot to sign Campbell but this is tracking another Koskinen situation. 2 years should have been the max offer. Maybe 3

Take note on what the Avs are doing. Oilers could have Georgiev and Skinner if they wanted to. Thinking Campbell was a 5 year solution is weird. But yeah... look at those "stats"

When I first saw the signing I thought "Ah a one or two year stopgap as they missed on Husso, smart!" then you read 5 year term... Oh Holland is back doing Holland shit...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you have me confused with an Oilers fan now. My teams future isnt bleak :naughty:

When I first saw the signing I thought "Ah a one or two year stopgap as they missed on Husso, smart!" then you read 5 year term... Oh Holland is back doing Holland shit...

The reality in the NHL is we have about 5 (+/-) great goalies who deserve 5+ year terms. Then you got another 10-20 guys who's stats will come and go depending on the team in front of them. And then you got 10 more who are fringe starters and should be in 1A/1B situations. The later is who Campbell is so you don't sign him to 5x $5. More like 2 or 3x $4

How many goalies do we know have 5 very good seasons in a row? It's rare. A lot of teams think they find their goalie cause they have 1 or 2 good years and then come to reality very quickly.

Sakic got it right. Until he finds a gem who is one of the best, he's going to limit the goalie terms and let you walk if you push for Campbell max deals (Looking at you Kuemper and Grubauer). However, it's possible that Sakic signs Grubauer or Kuemper if had more cap space. Difficult to guess on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobnobs

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Oilers still haven't given him a fair chance with that defence. He's been bad sure, but so has the entire team defence. I think he's a serviceable goalie but get the guy some friggin help already.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Maybe Carolina would move Anderson or Raanta with Kochetkov looking solid?

Oil could send Pulju the other way to balance salary and give him a change of scenery.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Scratch Campbell for 5 games and give him an AHL conditioning stint.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Allen isn't much better with a sub .900 SV%. Not nearly enough of an upgrade to give up Holloway or take on Armia and his cap until 2025. Nice try

As a Montreal fan I probably wouldn't do it unless Edmonton added a 2nd or something. Oilers would love to swap Campbell for Allen. Skinner/Allen is a viable tandem, Skinner/Campbell is not.

And Armia has 3.4m until 2025, Campbell has 5mil until 2027. If Jack doesn't improve, that is a boat anchor contract.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Oilers still haven't given him a fair chance with that defence. He's been bad sure, but so has the entire team defence. I think he's a serviceable goalie but get the guy some friggin help already.
Why is Skinner doing so much better behind the same defense?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why is Skinner doing so much better behind the same defense?

Teams each goalie has played against in their last 10 starts

Campbell: Min, NYR, NYI, Car, TB, Dal, Nsh, Chi, Pit, Stl

Skinner: Chi, Fla, NJD, Vgk, LA, Fla, Was, NJD, Cal, Stl

Not saying it's the only factor, but opponents should be considered

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Teams each goalie has played against in their last 10 starts

Campbell: Min, NYR, NYI, Car, TB, Dal, Nsh, Chi, Pit, Stl

Skinner: Chi, Fla, NJD, Vgk, LA, Fla, Was, NJD, Cal, Stl

Not saying it's the only factor, but opponents should be considered
I don't see anything to suggest Skinner is playing against easier teams. He played NJ twice and Vegas once. Looks pretty even to me.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
I feel terrible for Soupy. He was solid at times last season for the Buds, but his issue has never been his talent. It's always been between his ears. His psychy is fragile. Add to that Edmontons overall defensive game is lacking and that's a perfect storm for a slumping Soupy. If the Oilers play a more committed game from forwards to defense in their own zone, Soupy will be just fine. But as it stands, short of having a top 5 goalie in the league, anyone else is going to be setup for failure.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
God this turned out horrifically for the Oilers....

I don't see Campbell rebounding and ever being relevant in the NHL again, on any team...

Another dreadful albatross Oiler contract...

It's really hard to the prospect of McDavid ever winning a cup in Edmonton

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I hope Campbell turns it around and gets back on track.. He's a great guy by all accounts.

The only humorous thing about this for me is the fact that that coward Mark Spector has gone back and deleted all of his tweets about Campbell from the pre-season. What an absolute loser.

thumb.png

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Oilers need to bring some confidence back in jack

His next game, they’ve gotta set their target at allowing sub 25 shots and play a bunch of nothing hockey. Win maybe 2-1 or 1-0. Campbell from what I saw in Toronto was very confidence based. If he’s rolling he is rolling, if he ain’t, he’s crashing and burning

Oilers should play skinner until a weak opponent comes up and play Campbell with the thought of playing for his shutout alone

Reactions: Mav3rick07
Mar 12, 2009
I hope Campbell turns it around and gets back on track.. He's a great guy by all accounts.

The only humorous thing about this for me is the fact that that coward Mark Spector has gone back and deleted all of his tweets about Campbell from the pre-season. What an absolute loser.

that account also shows a tweet of Anthony Stewart picking Campbell for the Vezina on Sportsnet.

Reactions: AvroArrow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad