Waived: [EDM] F Sam Gagner waived by the Oilers (cleared)

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I don't like it for Sam, but he's the least likely player to get claimed. Even if Brown is worse, the Oilers are still on the hook for his bonus next year regardless, and Holland probably wants to hang on to the veteran depth rather than lose it for nothing.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Folks this is just a cap formality… Oilers likely adding a forward, so Edmonton getting out ahead of things at a time when no contenders will want to add bodies or cap… (since they are considering their own big fish additions)

Sam will very likely pass waivers (since any GM would call the agent and confirm that he wants to stay in Edmonton for the playoffs).

Very little risk here… he will dress in a playoff game and generally be available as a black ace.

Reactions: Fenris

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Brown is doing exactly what's required of a fourth liner. He's not getting scored on and he's an excellent PKer. That's why it's Gags on waivers and not him.

Very little logic spending assets and cap to upgrade on a fourth line winger making league minimum.

That being said, I hope Gags clears. Oiler for life. All around good dude.
Other than the fact Oilers PK hasn't been good this year and Brown has missed out on a lot of SH scoring chances.

Brown also has the worst +/- on the team meaning he IS getting scored on as 4th liner.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Other than the fact Oilers PK hasn't been good this year and Brown has missed out on a lot of SH scoring chances.

Brown also has the worst +/- on the team meaning he IS getting scored on as 4th liner.
His +/- is almost entirely from his early season stint with Evander Kane. Since being put together with Derek Ryan, that fourth line has actually been pushing the play at 5v5.

The PK has been average for the most part this season. But was impenetrable during their win streaks.

Brown is a regular because he deserves to be a regular. Gagner is on waivers because he'll clear.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Being outscored (more or less +/-) is not the same as "getting scored on".

Brown has a 1.9 on ice Goals Against / 60 which is at or near the lowest on the team (with his common line mates Ryan and Holloway right there with him). In contrast, McDavid (2.9), Nuge (2.8), Draisaitl (2.5) are all about a goal/game higher. The difference of course is that unlike Brown/Ryan/Holloway, they can outscore their deficiencies.

Brown can't do much... but if you need a shift or two of low event hockey, he can be put out there to keep the puck out of our net. Not every "role player" is going to have a balanced skill set... sometimes you need a gamebreaking risk taker, other times you need a glass-and-out guy or "get pucks deep" kinda guy.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
with all the injuries on the ducks, i wonder if they take a flyer on him given they are likely to trade Henrique and possibly Vatrano.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm thinking this is a roster management move, so they can send him down if they acquire a player at the deadline. He might well not see a minute in the AHL.

Reactions: LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
His +/- is almost entirely from his early season stint with Evander Kane. Since being put together with Derek Ryan, that fourth line has actually been pushing the play at 5v5.

The PK has been average for the most part this season. But was impenetrable during their win streaks.

Brown is a regular because he deserves to be a regular. Gagner is on waivers because he'll clear.
Not entirely true considering he isn't a + player in 2024 either .. doesn't really matter because he hopefully wouldn't be playing past trade deadline.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not entirely true considering he isn't a + player in 2024 either .. doesn't really matter because he hopefully wouldn't be playing past trade deadline.
I predict that you're going to be disappointed.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Folks this is just a cap formality… Oilers likely adding a forward, so Edmonton getting out ahead of things at a time when no contenders will want to add bodies or cap… (since they are considering their own big fish additions)

Sam will very likely pass waivers (since any GM would call the agent and confirm that he wants to stay in Edmonton for the playoffs).

Very little risk here… he will dress in a playoff game and generally be available as a black ace.

Vegas desperately needs a healthy body at forward.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I need this guy in the league and playing well. He's my doppelgänger... to the point where yes I've received free drinks on nights out by simply saying "yeah that's me". Ok, maybe I initiated it, tough to say. But a free drink is a free drink.

Anyways bring back Sam please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad