Waived: [EDM] F Sam Gagner waived by the Oilers (cleared)

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I always liked Gagner. He doesn't tilt the ice much in either direction. But sometimes that's fine.

Putting him on the ice is kind of like subtracting 30 seconds from the clock. Nothing much will happen during his entire shift.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kind of a nothing move. If the Oilers add a top 6 winger and bottom 6 forward then they're bumping 1 or 2 players out of the line up depending on if a forward is going out the other way. Gagner has been good depth but I'm not sure he's an every night player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not shocking. Doesn't play a lot and doesn't really bring much to the 4th line either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kind of a nothing move. If the Oilers add a top 6 winger and bottom 6 forward then they're bumping 1 or 2 players out of the line up depending on if a forward is going out the other way. Gagner has been good depth but I'm not sure he's an every night player.
He's not, but I'd bet they don't want him claimed. He's a guy who is happy to be around for when he's needed to be. Help get through the regular season grind, and be available just in case after it. That's perfectly fine, he'll take that.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I could see his former teammate Steve Staois claiming him as veteran depth for a young Ottawa squad that will likely lose a veteran or two before the week is over.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He doesn't deserve this, but the team will continue to twist itself into a pretzel to protect Brown over the optics of the bonus.

Not expecting him to be claimed either.
Don't think Brown will be around either after Holland is done loading up on Friday. Holloway likely not around either.

Gagner getting waived is a nothing move compared to whats to come.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Don't think Brown will be around either after Holland is done loading up on Friday. Holloway likely not around either.

Gagner getting waived is a nothing move compared to whats to come.
Brown is doing exactly what's required of a fourth liner. He's not getting scored on and he's an excellent PKer. That's why it's Gags on waivers and not him.

Very little logic spending assets and cap to upgrade on a fourth line winger making league minimum.

That being said, I hope Gags clears. Oiler for life. All around good dude.

Reactions: Dakine

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He doesn't deserve this, but the team will continue to twist itself into a pretzel to protect Brown over the optics of the bonus.

Not expecting him to be claimed either.
gagner is a fan favourite, plays the right way. Game is a lil too fast for him nowadays. Personally, i love gagner, i have a game worn jersey of his from his last game during his second stint with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad