Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Evander Kane signs with the Oilers (1 year, prorated $2.108696M AAV)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How much will someone actually give him? Just curious
there are many teams out of the playoff picture that are desperate to jump back in. He will get similar numbers to like Hyman, with maybe adjusted term since he's 30 years old. Someone will give him a contract based solely on his on-ice numbers, with no adjustment based on off ice concerns

There is a chance he re-signs with the Oilers at a bit of a discount. That's an assumption based on how happy he seems here.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He'll end up in LA. Bergevin loves headcases and people who think Kane's changed off of half a season of play where he will literally end up broke, desolate, and die in despair if he doesn't earn another contract are fooling themselves. The guy owes something like 30 mill and is going to play by all the rules until he gets his contract.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Wouldn't give him more than a 2yr deal for fair value, or 3yrs if it's very team friendly.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I suspect his bankruptcy proceedings and lawsuits will influence the term length of his next contract. If they aren't settled by free agency day he'll sign a cheap 1 year in a comfortable situation. Playing another year in Edmonton might be his best bet for setting up an all-in move.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I would go 2 years x $5M, or 3 x 4–4.5M.

I would not go beyond 3 years.

It makes sense for Kane to go 2 or 3 years as well, if he’s betting on himself maintaining a high level of play, because he would be 33 or 34 and the cap should be much higher, so he could set himself up for another 3-4 year deal for good money. Especially if over the next 2-3 years there’s no more negativity surrounding him and more teams are confident he’s beyond that.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The only team he was willing to waive for was Vancouver, and it’s unlikey they’ve changed their stance on bringing him in. He likely stays in Edmonton or goes to Seattle.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
The only team he was willing to waive for was Vancouver, and it’s unlikey they’ve changed their stance on bringing him in. He likely stays in Edmonton or goes to Seattle.
I suspect on July 1st there will be a bidding war from him if he keeps things up

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
He's going to extract every single penny he can at this point of his career, especially considering his financial situation. That said many teams are going to turn away because of his past behavior.

Reactions: Mr Positive

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Yup he’s getting paid for sure. Probably a more tax friendly location than his last two stops. Last chance for big money, he can’t afford to leave a penny on the table. Pathetic as that is considering how much he’s been paid already.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I suspect on July 1st there will be a bidding war from him if he keeps things up
I doubt it. I think he'll end up like Hoffman. Series of short term, low cap hit contracts.

Everyone knew Kane was a great player prior to coming to Edmonton and nobody wanted him. Does 6 months change that? I don't see why.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Also he's playing some of his best ever hockey and playing with Connor/Leon. Sometimes a bird in the hand might be his best move and the Oilers could be legit cup contenders very soon with a few more shrewd moves !!
Just a few shrewd moves to fix the bottom 6, find a couple top 4 defenders and a legit #1 goalie!

Reactions: one2gamble

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Yup he’s getting paid for sure. Probably a more tax friendly location than his last two stops. Last chance for big money, he can’t afford to leave a penny on the table. Pathetic as that is considering how much he’s been paid already.

Sad to say this but if Gaudreau leaves Calgary I 100% expect Kane to end up as a Flames :’(

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
He is going from Hertl to McJesus; Hertl is no slouch, but you gotta think he's a 40-50 goal scorer over a full season flanking the best player on earth; so 20-25 the rest of the way should be expected.

He’s only hit 30 goals once, not sure how he almost doubles that with McDavid. If anything he likely scores 10-15 goals for the final half. Hell he’s only gotten over 50 points twice in his career

This didn't age well.. never doubt McJesus.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
All depends on his arbitration. Then he will see how the bankruptcy proceedings go but I imagine he will take a 2 year deal because the more he makes the more he will have to pay back to his creditors. He can be absolved of the bankruptcy within two years and free to sign a longer term deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad