Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Evander Kane signs with the Oilers (1 year, prorated $2.108696M AAV)

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
To all of the "LOL can he play goalie?" posters, you see a glimpse tonight of how this signing helps fill a gaping hole in the lineup. Lines 1, 2, and 3 have scored in the first period, as they are finally freed up to move RNH to the third line.

They obviously need to do it consistently and against better competition, but early signs point to this being one less problem for this roster.
So after watching smith last night…

can Kane play goalie:sarcasm:?

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
It's pretty clearly Ken Holland sucks at his job.
He does, but its not his fault that the team's location in Edmonton requires a 15% "come play in frozen seclusion" surcharge at minimum just to get players to consider the possibility of signing there. The poor personnel decisions and questionable attention to the goaltending are all Ken's to own, but the over market contract offers are just the price of doing business in his location. Even with limited options nobody is moving their family to Edmonton without a sweetener tacked on, and that's a tough obstacle to negotiate for any GM regardless of quality. To be clear, Holland's quality is very bad, and I mean Codi Ceci is locked up with term bad - but the Kane contract doesn't belong among his hall of shame entries by any means....yet. :skeptic:

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It's pretty clearly Ken Holland sucks at his job.

Yes, it is, but the Kane signing has literally 0 to do with the that. It's a 1.3m contract and you're mad it's not a 750k contract? Your best putting your anger somewhere else, that 600k has very, very minimal impact. If it cost 600k to essentially get a high level rental, without giving up any assets, that's considered a win.

I'm not a Kane fan or the move by any means, but this actually seems to be one of Kenny's better moves.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Any spicy Evander news yet? He should be having his suit thrown into the showers right about now. Got into any fist fights?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Kane had a few tips (one off the post in the 2nd IIRC) and the whole team got dominated by a superior VGK squad. There is no shame in losing to the better team, but admittedly, Smith did look shaky and I thought it he tweaked his left knee at the end of the 2nd and wouldn't come back out for the 3rd, but he finished, so that was positive to see. Coming right back into the fire after a long layoff and running into VGK would definitely be tough for any goalie.

Let's see what they have left against the Hawks with Skinner back there. Expect more push back, and a Kane goal tonight.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Only Kenny could find a way to give a player whos prior contract was ripped up because of his immense jackassery and is on his twelfth '2nd chance' more than league minimum.

So you woke up/stayed up till early morning and began contemplating Evander Kane's life to the point you thought it would be a good idea to resurect an old thread about his latest contract on an online forum?

Outside of Kane himself causing you pain in your life, probably something you should look deeper into.

Bit strange friend...

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Lol I love seeing all of these left wing extremists trying to make this as a bad signing he’s a beast. I respect that he says what he wants and does what he wants. He should have the freedom to do what ever he wants without being judged. He’s a great player and a very human person. I love this guy would love to buy him a beer. I’m glad to see him succeed.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Lol I love seeing all of these left wing extremists trying to make this as a bad signing he’s a beast. I respect that he says what he wants and does what he wants. He should have the freedom to do what ever he wants without being judged. He’s a great player and a very human person. I love this guy would love to buy him a beer. I’m glad to see him succeed.

Wat...

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
2 goals, 1 assist, +5, 14 SOG, 20 hits & 1 blocked shot in his first 4 games. The team is averaging 3.5 goals in these four games despite being shutout last night and is 2-2.

Seems like a solid enough of a start for Kane.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
So you woke up/stayed up till early morning and began contemplating Evander Kane's life to the point you thought it would be a good idea to resurect an old thread about his latest contract on an online forum?

Outside of Kane himself causing you pain in your life, probably something you should look deeper into.

Bit strange friend...
I enjoyed the resurrection

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
So after watching smith last night…

can Kane play goalie:sarcasm:?
Or, can Smith score a goal?

I'm not going to freak out about his first game back after an extended layoff - especially when the offense was shut out. But yeah, we still need a better option between the pipes.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
You may need a new name here after that. Remember to change your vpn to Dickville.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
He does, but its not his fault that the team's location in Edmonton requires a 15% "come play in frozen seclusion" surcharge at minimum just to get players to consider the possibility of signing there. The poor personnel decisions and questionable attention to the goaltending are all Ken's to own, but the over market contract offers are just the price of doing business in his location. Even with limited options nobody is moving their family to Edmonton without a sweetener tacked on, and that's a tough obstacle to negotiate for any GM regardless of quality. To be clear, Holland's quality is very bad, and I mean Codi Ceci is locked up with term bad - but the Kane contract doesn't belong among his hall of shame entries by any means....yet. :skeptic:
Strange to single out Ceci, as he's been a bright spot on the blueline, and his contract is perfectly in line with what he's doing on the ice. At his age, he should be able to play at this level for the duration, so long as he's not elevated beyond the second pair. Even the goal he was on for last night was because Nurse thought it would be a good idea to try and pick the corner (which he sucks at) while Ceci was already in front of him. Nurse's missed shot goes all the way down the ice for an odd man rush and a goal against.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

hahaha what

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Or, can Smith score a goal?

I'm not going to freak out about his first game back after an extended layoff - especially when the offense was shut out. But yeah, we still need a better option between the pipes.
Spent what little cap space you had on a luxury while the vital basics have gone unaddressed as of now. Smith was never going to repeat last season given his age and injury history. 10th in goals per game and 23rd in goals against per game… what should you address first offense or defense/goaltending

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Spent what little cap space you had on a luxury while the vital basics have gone unaddressed as of now. Smith was never going to repeat last season given his age and injury history. 10th in goals per game and 23rd in goals against per game… what should you address first offense or defense/goaltending
I didn't spend anything. I'm not the Oilers GM, and you're arguing points I haven't made. People who don't pay attention were seemingly unaware how bad the depth was, in terms of the bottom six getting utterly destroyed at even strength. This signing was a low-cost way of slapping some Flex Seal on at least one gaping hole in the sinking ship. It doesn't negate the need for a goalie, but I also find it funny that this was necro'd after Koskinen went into COVID protocol after having a great stretch, and after the team gets shut out.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
3/10

Too obvious

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Strange to single out Ceci, as he's been a bright spot on the blueline, and his contract is perfectly in line with what he's doing on the ice. At his age, he should be able to play at this level for the duration, so long as he's not elevated beyond the second pair. Even the goal he was on for last night was because Nurse thought it would be a good idea to try and pick the corner (which he sucks at) while Ceci was already in front of him. Nurse's missed shot goes all the way down the ice for an odd man rush and a goal against.
I only singled out Ceci because the term and AAV is a bit much for a player of his quality when the team is in a dire cap situation. Is he really a significant improvement on what Ethan Bear was providing at a much cheaper price? Because the difference in salary between Bear and Ceci buys you another forward, and for a team dressing Tyler Benson for 19 games at forward that could be a bit more helpful in my opinion.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I only singled out Ceci because the term and AAV is a bit much for a player of his quality when the team is in a dire cap situation. Is he really a significant improvement on what Ethan Bear was providing at a much cheaper price? Because the difference in salary between Bear and Ceci buys you another forward, and for a team dressing Tyler Benson for 19 games at forward that could be a bit more helpful in my opinion.

There's a $1.25m difference between Bear and Ceci. For a hard minutes role, yes I think Ceci is well worth the difference. He's solid. It's really more like Bouchard ate up Bear's minutes and Ceci came in to play the stopper role that needed to be filled after Larsson's departure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad