Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Mike Green (50% Ret.) <-> Brodziak & Cond 4th '20 (3rd '21 if WCF & Green 50% GP)

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I recall being probably the biggest (and maybe the only) proponent of trading for Green. But that was a few years back. I'm not sure what he has left at this point, and I haven't watched him play at all this season. Hope he still has some gas in the tank.
He can step in when Benning shits the bed. This isn't a trade for Spacek. Looks more like a filler like Tarnstrom.

Reactions: B33K33PING

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Checked in on the Red Wings board, and this is a realistic expectation set for him set by one of the posters:

He should do well in a limited 3rd pairing / 2 PPQB role.
Asking him to log more than 13 min a game is probably too much at this point for him.
He could fill in for a top 4 role but it's not ideal by any means.

Still has a good pass, skating is ok/decent and as far as gas in the tank it really depends on the night.
He has some health issues that seem to affect him at random times.
When he is on he is still NHL quality, but when he is off it's a shit show.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Checked in on the Red Wings board, and this is a realistic expectation set for him set by one of the posters:

I'm curious how that guy came to < 13 mins/night as the right number for Green, considering he was averaging over 21... ?

Call me an optimist but I'm choosing to chalk up the poor years of both Green and Anathasiou to entire-team performance rather than the he-fell-off-a-cliff theory. For the 3 years prior, Green was playing 22-24 mins a night and scoring at a 41-49 point pace. He was their #1 D in 16-17 and 17-18, #2 D in 18-19, and the #3 D this year..

He's not going to come in and be Chris Pronger but I think it's a lot more likely that this is a case of the team playing a guy over his head (a la Jeff Petry or Justin Schultz) than it is a case of the player all of a sudden sucking. Get him in the right role and there's probably a decent chance he excels. Which, I get, is what the guy above is saying...but "< 13 mins / limited 3rd pairing" might be selling him a tad short.

Reactions: Mijatovic

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Green will be an excellent addition.... better both offensively AND defensively than most expect from him.

His addition on the blueline with his point shot and PP ability and also his veteran leadership is going to make him a key addition down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I'm going to be BOLD and predict he'll look/play like the Oilers best dman in the upcoming stretch of games.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I like this deal. Holland knows that you need good D and depth on D to go far in the playoffs. I would be shocked if he moves a current roster D player out. Lagesson or less maybe but nothing above him on the depth chart (Obv not Bouch or Borberg). We've had a lot of injuries on D and we haven't been that great defensively all year other than in October. This is a depth move for a long playoff run and he gave up almost nothing for it. Beauty!
We haven’t even seen him play. How can you say he won’t move Benning or Lagesson out? He was playing 20+ minutes on the worst team in NHL history. He had a good points year last year. He’s 34 and still fast. I’d rather have Mike Green play over Benning. He is actually a puck moving dman that can actually make a good breakout pass like Bear

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
We haven’t even seen him play. How can you say he won’t move Benning or Lagesson out? He was playing 20+ minutes on the worst team in NHL history. He had a good points year last year. He’s 34 and still fast. I’d rather have Mike Green play over Benning. He is actually a puck moving dman that can actually make a good breakout pass like Bear

By move out I meant trade one of our current roster players on D. Green should most definitely be in the lineup tonight. I'd prefer he play in place of Lagesson though if he can play on the left, which I would assume he could.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I'd rather have low minutes / high quality from a Dman than the shitstorm we endured over the years. Bring it, Green, we're ready!

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I'm curious how that guy came to < 13 mins/night as the right number for Green, considering he was averaging over 21... ?

Call me an optimist but I'm choosing to chalk up the poor years of both Green and Anathasiou to entire-team performance rather than the he-fell-off-a-cliff theory. For the 3 years prior, Green was playing 22-24 mins a night and scoring at a 41-49 point pace. He was their #1 D in 16-17 and 17-18, #2 D in 18-19, and the #3 D this year..

He's not going to come in and be Chris Pronger but I think it's a lot more likely that this is a case of the team playing a guy over his head (a la Jeff Petry or Justin Schultz) than it is a case of the player all of a sudden sucking. Get him in the right role and there's probably a decent chance he excels. Which, I get, is what the guy above is saying...but "< 13 mins / limited 3rd pairing" might be selling him a tad short.

I'm the guy, came to the 13 min a night figure through personal observation.

Green was playing 21 min a night on Detroits roster out of necessity. I hope I don't have to explain why, but I will...
we suck.

He performed his best but was clearly in over his head. 3g 8A 11PTS -32. @ 21 minutes a night.

Now based on his play, the fatigue he shows, health issues and so forth I figure that his best deployment would be with less minutes in a more sheltered role. Deploy him in the offensive zone and use his ability to pass and make plays, keep him away from the Dzone where his weakness are really starting to show at his age. He should be used as a scoring tool as opposed to a jack of all trades type. By limiting his minutes he can stay fresh for longer and be less likely to have his virus adversely affect him. (I don't know what virus it is, media never revealed it but it did "reactivate" before)

Could he turn it around for you guys and have a better showing? Sure! Your team has much better players on it and can help Green show off his talents. Passing.

If Green can find himself in a situation where he is paired with a guy who can defend for him it would play into his strengths. Let him be the breakout pass guy and the one timer set up guy. But he will get beat in the O-Zone leading to odd man rushes.

If your coach deploys him properly I think you guys will like him a lot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Nice to see someone willing to waive for Edmonton for a change.

To be honest he'd be an idiot not to.

Stay in Detroit or go to a team that you will get PP chance with one of the best PP's in the game. He wants to continue in the league making decent money this was one of the best chances. Doesn't seem like there was a lot of other interest in him from a contender anyway.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If's funny that we acquire Green considering most of us have been fantasizing about adding him to the Oilers for years, but at this point of his career I'm not even sure if he's an upgrade over Benning.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If's funny that we acquire Green considering most of us have been fantasizing about adding him to the Oilers for years, but at this point of his career I'm not even sure if he's an upgrade over Benning.
there are ways that Green is definitely an upgrade. He is more creative and a better passer. Benning has a good shot, but has a hard time finding where to use it, but he is also physical.

As for Green, as you age, there are ways you get worse. Does Green have the same power in his shot? Is his skating slower?

So far he looks fine. He's 34, which isn't too old for a dman. He's not as great as he was, but I think he will stick to the roster

Reactions: Oilhawks and Zaddy

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia

Yeah it is. People said the same thing when he came to Detroit. 3rd Pairing PP only kinda yet hes spent most of his time as #1. Giving the bloke slightly easier matchups and a little less world on his shoulders and competent forwards will make him seem a whole heap better.

He's a smart player and moves the puck very well. He isnt incredibly physical and I haven't seen him throw a real dangerous slapshot out in forever so I wouldnt think he would be dropping bombs from back their often on the PP but if you want a good handling the puck and passing to others to shoot, then hes your guy.

Reactions: CaptainSexyPants

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Need to see more of him and he definitely needs more time to adjust. Was a pretty "meh" game last night but I think we all know what he is capable of. Hopefully he can find a way to being his A game tonight.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Need to see more of him and he definitely needs more time to adjust. Was a pretty "meh" game last night but I think we all know what he is capable of. Hopefully he can find a way to being his A game tonight.
I think he's also getting used to trusting his teammates more given how rough things were in Detroit, you started to see it as the game progressed last night. There's a lot of player here and I'm excited for that.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014

He looked good last night and of course he's better than Benning... David Ayres is better than Benning.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Benning will make more defensive zone errors with the puck than Green, which has always been a strong negative variable with this team. I was surprised, watching the last few games, at how good Green is at taking hits and still managing to make a decent play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad