Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Nurse is older and 1 year away from UFA . An 8 year deal , deservedly or not , would be close to Jones. ( who i also thought got way overpaid ) .
Nurse is on an expiring contract. I'm aware of the situation. 9Mx8 is a possibility but that is so tight against the cap, that's too much cap space spent on Nurse and not enough wiggle room to sign their some of their RFAs that requires re-signing.

Jones IMO was a massive overpay by Bowman.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Nurse is on an expiring contract. I'm aware of the situation. 9Mx8 is a possibility but that is so tight against the cap, that's too much cap space spent on Nurse and not enough wiggle room to sign their some of their RFAs that requires re-signing.

Jones IMO was a massive overpay by Bowman.

I don't love the current prices for defenseman myself ( Klingberg needs a new deal next year too ) but its the reality. High profile UFA or close to defenseman get paid big truckloads . If the Oilers can't pay a Jones like deal Nurse might test the market next year . Oilers cap situation doesn't have to interest Nurses camp.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
First, the guys considered the top dogs are getting paid as if there is no flat Cap. No question.

Second, and as a Habs fan I know what it feels like when your team is not a " destination ". Many players don't want to play in Montreal. It's the same with the Oil, likely worse. Oil will have to pay up for many guys to stick, like Nurse I guess. Nugent wanted to stay in contrast.

Reactions: zar and Morrison

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
I don't love the current prices for defenseman myself ( Klingberg needs a new deal next year too ) but its the reality. High profile UFA or close to defenseman get paid big truckloads . If the Oilers can't pay a Jones like deal Nurse might test the market next year . Oilers cap situation doesn't have to interest Nurses camp.
That's true, but he's always given the impression he wanted to win with this group. Either way, I'm predicting somewhere 8.5M-9M/8 years.

What's Klingberg's value? Doesn't Dallas have cap space for next offseason to re-sign him?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That's true, but he's always given the impression he wanted to win with this group. Either way, I'm predicting somewhere 8.5M-9M/8 years.

What's Klingberg's value? Doesn't Dallas have cap space for next offseason to re-sign him?

Stars do . The question is how many years to you want to give a 30 year old player still commanding 8-9 million a least ? If he wants 7-8 years i don't know if i want the Stars to extend Klingberg.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Stars do . The question is how many years to you want to give a 30 year old player still commanding 8-9 million a least ? If he wants 7-8 years i don't know if i want the Stars to extend Klingberg.
Seems like a disaster committing that much cap and term for 2 Dman. I'm guessing Nill will try for lower cap/term because of his age, while Klingberg will most likely be looking for retirement money.

I'm going to assuming they'll meet somewhere in the middle unless they have other options for RD.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What was Oilers fans impression of Nurse before this past season? If his extension had come up before then, what money would people be expecting in comparison to other dmen?

I think many of us hoped that his contract would continue to mirror Josh Morrissey’s. Drafted the same year, 6 picks apart, came into the league at the same time with similar development curve. Both signed 2 year bridges coming out of their ELC for near identical money (Nurse 3.2 per, JM 3.15 per). JM was the first to sign the next contract, 6.25 x 8. Again, their numbers were pretty identical at that point. You could argue Nurse has more physical gifts, but at that stage JM had displayed a lot more poise.

There’s not much reasoning I can see as to why they didn’t just duplicate the JM contract at that time. Nurse still got 5.6 per on another bridge. I think they just wanted to evaluate him further whether he was truly a top pair D. They lost that gamble quite clearly, to the tune of an additional 2 mil per of cap space it appears.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
I'm thinking somewhere between 8.5-9.25
I hope the Oilers pay him that. He isn't worth it. His analytics over a three year period are not good. They were much better last year. His point total and analytics don't put him in the $9mm / season category, but I hope it does happen. I wouldn't pay him over $7mm. Let's not forget the 2020 season when Oiler fans were doing their usual........."run him out of town" special.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
I hope the Oilers pay him that. He isn't worth it. His analytics over a three year period are not good. They were much better last year. His point total and analytics don't put him in the $9mm / season category, but I hope it does happen. I wouldn't pay him over $7mm. Let's not forget the 2020 season when Oiler fans were doing their usual........."run him out of town" special.
Considering Bowman set the market price with Jones overpaid contract.

What would be the alternative? Do you expect Nurse to accept less??

Reactions: Ragdoll

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton screwed up again ...... walking Nurse directly to UFA ......they could have signed him to a 7 x 7 mill contract 2 years ago....... but let’s give him a 2 year deal..... that leads to UFA......

At that time Nurse's play was good, but not top pairing good.... at least, not all the time. I felt a bridge deal was a solid move. Nurse bet on himself. And he delivered. We have to pay the man now.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Considering Bowman set the market price with Jones overpaid contract.

What would be the alternative? Do you expect Nurse to accept less??
He is definitely worth it based on his play last season and what other d-men have received. Anyone that watched him all last season knows that. I have been critical of Nurse's consistently throughout his career. He really put together a great all around season. He was better offensively and defensively than he ever was before. I was more impressed with his defensive consistency last season than his offense. That is the area that was most disappointing thus far in his career but he definitely reached another level last season.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
He was dominant last year. Internal improvement should be expected, as I expect Bear to have a better year. Keith will help on 2nd pair.

They definitely need some help, but they have a few young guys who have been knocking on the door like Bouchard and Laggesson. Also wouldn't be shocked if Samarukov comes in and steals a spot.

Not ideal, but not their biggest need.
I predict bear is going to have a stellar year

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
He is definitely worth it based on his play last season and what other d-men have received. Anyone that watched him all last season knows that. I have been critical of Nurse's consistently throughout his career. He really put together a great all around season. He was better offensively and defensively than he ever was before. I was more impressed with his defensive consistency last season than his offense. That is the area that was most disappointing thus far in his career but he definitely reached another level last season.
My issue is that Bowman set an expensive market price for Jones and that seems to be the bar for a quality dman. I don't agree with that contract. His recent play with CBJ certainly didn't warrant it.

Nurse and his agent have every right to pursue 9M, He's at that prime age where he's figured it out and he's determined to win with this group. I'm only hoping he takes a discount to help the team like Nuge took a discount on his recent contract. This is just wishful thinking on my part as a fan.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This is going to end up being one of the ugliest contracts in the league if the rumors are real.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nurse was elite last year. But in previous years he’s had a lot of warts. I don’t see that Edmonton really has any choice here as he’s part of their core and they need to sign him. But this contract does have a lot of risks imo. You’re gambling that last year is his new norm.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That is a horrid overpay. Worse than the Jones deal. Oilers are a bit confused on him because they haven’t seen a legit number 1 stud in 15 years now, I guess.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That is a horrid overpay. Worse than the Jones deal. Oilers are a bit confused on him because they haven’t seen a legit number 1 stud in 15 years now, I guess.
Or maybe you haven't seen him lately. He was leading the league in D even strength scoring for much of last season, finishing tied for 2nd, despite his reputation as strong defensively. He is a physical beast who can skate very well. The coach shows intense trust in him as well, being #4 in TOI/GP in the regular season for the whole league, and #1 in the playoffs.

Also us Oiler fans have seen Darnell play well on a top pairing role for a while now. This past season was something special however. I've seen the Oilers for many years now, and have watched other teams objectively. Nurse is a real #1. I think ideally, Nurse gets 8.5 AAV but with the new deals out there, 9 isn't out of the question. Ultimately he's so important to the team that overpaying isn't even that horrible.

The bad contracts are where you are giving big dollars to someone who isn't that good. Nurse will still be in his prime over his new deal, and performing well even compared to the very best of the league.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
A $9milx8yr contract is not good for the player, team, or league. The league should reject it.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The number it needs to be is 8 years 67 million. This is 8.5 million per year lots of signing bonus year 1-4 and high cash cost so short term he is making more and then it will be 40 for 4 years and 27 for 4 years

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Or maybe you haven't seen him lately. He was leading the league in D even strength scoring for much of last season, finishing tied for 2nd, despite his reputation as strong defensively. He is a physical beast who can skate very well. The coach shows intense trust in him as well, being #4 in TOI/GP in the regular season for the whole league, and #1 in the playoffs.

Also us Oiler fans have seen Darnell play well on a top pairing role for a while now. This past season was something special however. I've seen the Oilers for many years now, and have watched other teams objectively. Nurse is a real #1. I think ideally, Nurse gets 8.5 AAV but with the new deals out there, 9 isn't out of the question. Ultimately he's so important to the team that overpaying isn't even that horrible.

The bad contracts are where you are giving big dollars to someone who isn't that good. Nurse will still be in his prime over his new deal, and performing well even compared to the very best of the league.

His reputation of being strong defensively is entirely built around the fact that he’s physical sometimes. He’s not strong defensively. Again, I forgive you because most Oilers fans have never watched a legit cornerstone D at this point.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
His reputation of being strong defensively is entirely built around the fact that he’s physical sometimes. He’s not strong defensively. Again, I forgive you because most Oilers fans have never watched a legit cornerstone D at this point.

:laugh:

You catch a lot of Oilers games in Pittsburgh?

If you watched him you would know that when he's paired with Barrie and support McDavid he plays a more offensive style game. When he plays with more defensive minded partners, his goals and high scoring chances against drop considerably.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
:laugh:

You catch a lot of Oilers games in Pittsburgh?

If you watched him you would know that when he's paired with Barrie and support McDavid he plays a more offensive style game. When he plays with more defensive minded partners, his goals and high scoring chances against drop considerably.

I live in Canada. I think Nurses offensive game improved this year as his hockey sense has always been questionable, but his decision making is faster now. As for him being more offensive with McD and co, it would probably be useful for the Oilers to reverse that trend. It’s also no surprise his points and involvement go way up when he plays most of his minutes with the big guns in Edmonton.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I live in Canada. I think Nurses offensive game improved this year as his hockey sense has always been questionable, but his decision making is faster now. As for him being more offensive with McD and co, it would probably be useful for the Oilers to reverse that trend. It’s also no surprise his points and involvement go way up when he plays most of his minutes with the big guns in Edmonton.

This is true but I think you are underrating just how good the Barrie-Nurse pairing was this year. Offensively speaking they had the highest goals for from any defensive pairing.

upload_2021-8-4_12-52-15.png

As far as Nurse and his defensive game, when he played with someone who wasn't an offensive defenceman, he did very well defensively. His HDCF% increased by like 20%.

upload_2021-8-4_12-55-26.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad