Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
oooof thats a short term commitment.

Does he have inside information that Drai and Mcdavid are leaving after 4 years as well and he doesnt want to be there without them?

4 years is very short

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m going to guess somewhere between $7M and $7.5M.

The four year term makes a lot of sense for Nurse, so he can keep an eye on what happens with McDavid and Draisaitl. I’m sure the Oilers would prefer 5, or 6 years though.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nurse doesn't need to leave anything on the table unless he wants too, he's UFA at the end of the season.

I understand your point, but it is still a negotiation that has two parties involved.

He wants a shorter term, Oilers naturally would want to lock him up long term and balance the cap hit.

If the Oilers were originally planning to offer $8M x 8 years, it might have looked like: 10, 10, 9, 9, 7, 7, 6, 6

That has an AAV of $9.5M over the first four years. I doubt he will get that on the four year deal... probably more likely to have an 8 as a starting digit... thus he might leave something on the table to preserve his right to sign a retirement deal in 4 years while he's still in his prime at 32.

It could be a smart strategy for him, he's a smooth skating D and is only just coming into his own. He could quite easily play into his late thirties and many more D are doing that. If the team has success during the next four years he'll be in great shape to cash in again.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

Does he have inside information that Drai and Mcdavid are leaving after 4 years as well and he doesnt want to be there without them?

4 years is very short

I seriously doubt McDavid and Draisaitl even know what they’re doing yet. If they’re good they’ll probably resign, if they suck they’ll probably leave. Have to wait and see in 5 years.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
It's pretty glaring that he is actually the top D for that team.

That should tell you something about the likelihood of the Oilers' chances in the post-season. They needed to make a big splash this year, and it seems that they will basically come back with the same crew minus Larsson. :sigh:
He was a top 10 D last year so I don't see your point.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It's pretty glaring that he is actually the top D for that team.

That should tell you something about the likelihood of the Oilers' chances in the post-season. They needed to make a big splash this year, and it seems that they will basically come back with the same crew minus Larsson. :sigh:
He’s a decent #2 in a regular season.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
People are forgetting we are in a flat cap situation over the next few years, player agents know this better then anyone. And it's the agents who are trying to set them selfs more so then there ayers up for the huge pay day thinking that when the cap final does jump its gonna be a doozy after being stagnant for come years

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
4x 8.4 Draisaitl can be the internal cap hit as McDavid cap doesn’t set the market since he’s literally the top player in the league

Reactions: Morrison

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
4 years lines up right with the end of McDrai’s contracts. If Edmonton keeps being a 1 and done playoff team, those 2 will walk and Nurse will go with them. He won’t want to stick around for the rebuild.

Alright Edmonton, you’re officially on the clock. Your 5 year window begins now

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
4 years lines up right with the end of McDrai’s contracts. If Edmonton keeps being a 1 and done playoff team, those 2 will walk and Nurse will go with them. He won’t want to stick around for the rebuild.

It’s not a bad situation as Nurse sticking around for years 5-8 if McDrai left would be pretty pointless anyways. This you know the core cap hit and the window is 4 years. Peddle to the floor and let’s make something happen

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

4 years is very short

He probably wants to cash in again when the cap rises.

Draisaitl or McDavid leaving wouldn't affect Nurse. He could always just sign a long-term deal and then ask for a trade like a million other players have done.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Works for EDM.. 4yr window then we walk from Nurse and shift that money to McD and Drai extending both for 8 more years ;)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
26 year old Nurse with 1 yr left on his $5.6M AAV contract. I wonder who wants the 4 yr term.. Nurse or Holland? Nurse will be 31 at the end of this rumored 4 yr contract.

Reactions: go4hockey

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
McDavid's contract expire in 5 years. He probably does not want to rebuild if McDavid or Draisiatl leave if we don't win anything.
That, or, hear me out... age 30 is the prime age to lock up a stupid amount of money for your out years where you’ll definitely not be worth it.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Very telling he wants a contract that ends when mcdavid does. Looks as though mcdavid will not be resigning in Edmonton.

Reactions: ElysiumAB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad