Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I’d easily take Nurse over Jones at this point. He is the only reason the Oilers had a solid regular season this past year- just Nurse carrying a collection of mediocre at best dmen. He plays some of the toughest minutes in the league and brings some of the best even strength offense from the backend.

I think he will get absolutely paid. The Oilers have no choice but to give him what he wants and Nurse’s agent must know that. If he walked any playoff aspirations the team might have had would evaporate into the wind.

Reactions: missionAvs and zar

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He will get overpaid based on the haul Jones just got. Last year he was very good and played at a top pairing level but I would be awfully weary paying him much more than $7.5M per based on a 56 game sample where he was racking up points whenever he passed the puck to McDavid.
Yeah he had a career year this past season but it’s not like the prior seasons have been chump change. He’s been a solid 2/3 guy for years now and this was his first season preforming at a #1dman level.

7.5 would be an absolute steal when you compare his results at that price to Trouba and Jones

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
It's pretty glaring that he is actually the top D for that team.

That should tell you something about the likelihood of the Oilers' chances in the post-season. They needed to make a big splash this year, and it seems that they will basically come back with the same crew minus Larsson. :sigh:

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
4 years is a mistake unless he’s getting really paid. If I were him, I’d go 1 year and become a UFA. You know how many GMs would kill to sign this guy?

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Well I’m guessing 97 told Nurse he won’t resign in Edmonton after his contract expires so the writing is now on the wall… Oilers window officially closes in 5 years! Holland has to be in win now mode

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
4 years is a mistake unless he’s getting really paid. If I were him, I’d go 1 year and become a UFA. You know how many GMs would kill to sign this guy?
He’s really good friends with 97 so I’m guessing they want to try win a cup together Edmonton

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
this is actually pretty smart. After 4 years, he is a 31 year old ufa who is a fitness fanatic. He plays a simple game so he is not over extended or wore out. Every team in the league would be interested and he can do a 7 year deal

the cap will be higher and rising. He could get paid very big money till he is 38

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
It's pretty glaring that he is actually the top D for that team.

That should tell you something about the likelihood of the Oilers' chances in the post-season. They needed to make a big splash this year, and it seems that they will basically come back with the same crew minus Larsson. :sigh:

He was dominant last year. Internal improvement should be expected, as I expect Bear to have a better year. Keith will help on 2nd pair.

They definitely need some help, but they have a few young guys who have been knocking on the door like Bouchard and Laggesson. Also wouldn't be shocked if Samarukov comes in and steals a spot.

Not ideal, but not their biggest need.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Well I’m guessing 97 told Nurse he won’t resign in Edmonton after his contract expires so the writing is now on the wall… Oilers window officially closes in 5 years! Holland has to be in win now mode
Or his agent is smart enough to get him two big contracts in his career instead of 1

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Smart of him to try to get something done ASAP after the only season he's looked like a top pairing dman. A shortened season he coincidentally only played against Canadian teams.

Think he's more in the 6.5 - 7.5 range but with Jones getting the Brinks truck backed up for him he might be asking for 8+

Last edited:

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
I love Nurse, but Jones is a way better defender. Why would you expect him to make more?

Based on term? I dunno, I imagine the Oilers would be preferring 8 year term now, so Nurse may need to leave something on the table to secure the timing he wants.

having watched both Nurse is a better overall player, the fancy stats prove that out as well, better defender for the system Clb plays

upload_2021-7-27_16-6-42.png

upload_2021-7-27_16-7-11.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: