Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
When I saw this contract earlier today I immediately thought it was awful, but after sitting on it for the evening and thinking about it...it is still absolutely horrendous

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I would rather explore the market for Nurse than handcuff my cap for the rest of McDavids prime.

.... why are you pretending that Nurse is a liability? He's a #1 Dman on our team and he is 26 years old. Explore the market? HAHA and which top Dman wants to sign in Edmonton??? I'll take the #1 Dman that we developed and progressed than others. A player who actually wants to be here

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This cap hit for Nurse is a bargain. He's an elite superstar stud dman [/sarcasm]. Some will even say he's a generational talent. :popcorn:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
...Holland will be when he reads your post...

...so McJesus had a career season and Nurse got paid for it...sounds...like Edmonton...

Nurse had 33 points last season. 41 points before that. 26 points before that. This wasn't his career year points wise

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It’s great that everyone got paid before they won anything.

edmonton doesn’t sound bad at all

This.

You have the best player in the world and you haven't come close to Cup contention.

Now let's double down on the supporting cast and restrict the ability to improve in other ways.

This franchise. Jesus.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Low key this has Skinner vibes to It. I was ecstatic when we signed Skinner long term and he was coming off a career year… but then I saw the AAV and term and thought It was like 25% too much. Now here we are. Good luck EDM fans I hope he keeps up his high level of play for most of the deal

Reactions: Bubbles

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
This.

You have the best player in the world and you haven't come close to Cup contention.

Now let's double down on the supporting cast and restrict the ability to improve in other ways.

This franchise. Jesus.
Tell me who wants to come to Edmonton? Which top players want to come here? The only thing we can do is develop top players and overpay. We're no damn American team

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Darnell basically said I'm his press conference the number was a direct result of the Jones and Werenski contracts.

Hollands hands were tied and couldnt have him walk for nothing.

Then f***ing trade him.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
...blame the Rangers for signing a 2nd Pairing guy like Trouba to an $8 x 8 deal and Benning upping the ante in Vancouver by signing a 3rd Pairing guy like Myers to a $6 x 5 deal...these things always play out in cycles...Hell, go back to Bargain Bin paying Subban $9 mill...
Those are all pretty fair contract prices though …. Term is the only issue for all of them

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Tell me who wants to come to Edmonton? Which top players want to come here? The only thing we can do is develop top players and overpay. We're no damn American team
It's not just Edmonton. It's all Canadian markets. Edmonton might be marginally worse off than the others, but it's mitigated by players desire to maybe play with one of the two big guys.

This contract could go either way. If the real Nurse is the one we saw last season it's an OK deal. If the real Nurse is the one we saw every year before that it's a pretty bad contract.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I hear you and respect your facing that Edmonton is not a destination franchise, but I think the problems run deeper than that.

I mean you look at all the goalies that switched places and you're going to sit there and tell me extending Mike Smith was the only option the Oilers had?

Of course the other option is once players are developed and asking for insane money...You trade them for 2-3 good assets as opposed to being locked in to a defenseman that has trouble playing actual defense now on a an untradable contract for 8 years restricting the other moves the Oilers can make.

There is something wrong with ownership/management as it isn't as simple as saying that Edmonton isn't desirable.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
But since when do Nurse and Jones have the same value?
I'd say they have similar value. Nurse was definitely better last year. I'd honestly probably take Nurae ahead of Jones. Jones is a pretty overrated player. Right up there with Laine and Eichel.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad