Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV) PART II

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I actually think Nurse is a very good player, the type you want to sign at 6.75m x 8yr. With the reputation and market, I’m not surprised to see Edmonton overpay, I just wish it was for less.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Love the term, not loving the AAV. The market for defensemen went through the roof this offseason and this is the result of it.

Darnell basically said I'm his press conference the number was a direct result of the Jones and Werenski contracts.

Hollands hands were tied and couldnt have him walk for nothing.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Love the term, not loving the AAV. The market for defensemen went through the roof this offseason and this is the result of it.

Out of curiosity, why do you like the term?

As an Avs fan, I’m not overly thrilled with Landeskog getting 8 years knowing full well that the last few years are going to look rough.

You wouldn’t prefer 5-6 years at the same AAV?

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Out of curiosity, why do you like the term?

As an Avs fan, I’m not overly thrilled with Landeskog getting 8 years knowing full well that the last few years are going to look rough.

Wouldn’t you have preferred 5-6 years at the same AAV?

A number of reasons:

1) He's an exceptional athlete that gets better and better every year.
2) He is very tight with Connor and Leon and him signing on that long may be a factor in our favor to getting one or both to re-up with us.
3) He is well on his way to being a career Oiler, it's great seeing core guys staying throughout their primes.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Darnell basically said I'm his press conference the number was a direct result of the Jones and Werenski contracts.

Hollands hands were tied and couldnt have him walk for nothing.

I would rather explore the market for Nurse than handcuff my cap for the rest of McDavids prime.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
...Holland will be when he reads your post...

...so McJesus had a career season and Nurse got paid for it...sounds...like Edmonton...

In fairness, every season by McDavid has been a career season in terms of ratio of points and on pace average. He keeps getting better and better. lol

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Keep in mind we always see the overpayment and lay culpability on the GM and not the greedy player or agent.
If he signs him to a ridiculous contract he is the bad guy. if he doesn’t give into the demands and is forced to trade a valueable asset becuse he didn’t want to give into the ridiculous demands of an agent and player, the. He is the bad guy.
these players are greedy and strapping their GMs forcing teams to hire excellent players for $1-2M that deserve way more. They don’t deserve this money. We all know. Is Too much money way too early in their careers.
it’s always the GM that is the bad guy.
Now did he have to pay Ceci that? No that was terrible.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I’m kinda surprised ownership signed off on this...

I kinda figured maybe 8 x 8 like the Trouba contract...

If dmen were signing for 10mil before Troubs, there is no way in hell he signs for less. The guy already showed he was willing to wait it out.

Trouba is a horrible comparison as it was years ago. I'd happily take Nurse's contract over what Trouba has done since the signing. Dude mailed it in day 1

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
That’s perennial Norris finalist money. Nice player, but wow. I guess they had to do it. It’s not easy enticing UFA’s to EDM if Nurse were to walk.
There will be at least 8 players with 9+ mil AAV next season. So no, it's not.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Just stop with that crap.

EDM overpaid no matter how you manipulate the numbers.

Net incomes? Embarrassing. I would contact Bettman tonight.

:huh: Huh? Stop with the truths?

The net incomes I provided were 100% accurate and absolutely relevant to your comment that Nurse makes the same money as Point.

Holland is a terrible GM.. 100% on the same page.

The Oilers did over pay for Nurse by about 1.25 million AAV. Why, because Edmonton is one of the least desirable markets in the NHL for an NHL player and they always have to over pay... another truth.

Why are you so upset by my truthful responses that Point makes 20% more than Nurse? I even provided you all of the evidence of that. You are being immature and childish in your responses because your comment of Nurse making the same as Point was proven very far from being intelligent.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I wonder where the negotiations started if this is where they ended up
Negotiations? :laugh:

Agent: I'm thinking of a number
Holland: Does it start with an 8?
Agent: {shakes head}
Holland: Does it start with a 9? please say yes
Agent: {nods}
Holland: Okay, 9.25
Agent: Well I didn't want to go that low but throw in a NMC and I'll see if I can sell it to Darnell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad