Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] D Slater Koekkoek signs with Oilers (2 years, $925k AAV)

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I mean, Koekkoek was not very good for us. He got caved an awful lot.

it's not backbreaking, but he's clearly a #7 and I don't really see the point when we have Russell and Lagesson already.

He was doing pretty good up until his injury at the start of the season. Wasn't the same after his return.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That’s an especially poor way of thinking, given the shortened season. He took one shift of 0:14 in one of the last games of the year, so it’s going to affect average TOI.

I’m not saying he’s a world-beater, but he’d probably perform better with regular minutes than either being benched or thrown to the wolves.
The argument was he was leaned on too much as an Oiler, and that is absolutely not the case. He spent maybe one game in the top four and it went awfully Poorly

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Thw D man offence is A+!
Barrie, Nurse, Kieth, Bouchard! Its ridicolous strong.

The defensive side is foremost Nurse, Ceci.
So here is hoping Lagesson and Samorukov gets trust enough to develope and get games.
I hope at least

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I mean, Koekkoek was not very good for us. He got caved an awful lot.

it's not backbreaking, but he's clearly a #7 and I don't really see the point when we have Russell and Lagesson already.

This just proves how absolutely brain dead stupid these cards that are the flavor of the month are.

Guy goes from a 93 on defence to a 1.

You could fit the Bezos fortune in the margin of error of these stats.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A little bit peculiar to do a multi-year deal on a sorta 7/8 Spare Defenceman type like this. But really, why not? What's the downside at that minimal price? If it helps get a guy to Edmonton (or Canada in general these days it seems), so be it. He'll be a competent enough #7D this year, and is young enough that he should still be the same next year as well. And if not, bury that contract and move on without breaking a sweat.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
...if that is actually the case, Oiler fans should be concerned...significantly concerned...

I was baffled at the Ceci signing and still am. There was 0 reason to sign him after they had re-signed Barrie. Holland really dropped the ball this offseason. D and G were the areas he had to shore up most, and those are the areas he neglected. I mean I know Smith was good last season but he's 40...and you re-sign him for 2 years?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was baffled at the Ceci signing and still am. There was 0 reason to sign him after they had re-signed Barrie. Holland really dropped the ball this offseason. D and G were the areas he had to shore up most, and those are the areas he neglected. I mean I know Smith was good last season but he's 40...and you re-sign him for 2 years?
Ceci was signed so we could move Bear and not create a hole on the right side.

I would be interested to know what goalies Hollabd has had a line on this summer. Rumors of Korpisalo but with too high of a price tag and Kuemper but not being able to match Timmins as a prospect.

Smith for 2 years is fine. He will be a good backup for 2 years more if nothing else.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Ceci was signed so we could move Bear and not create a hole on the right side.

I would be interested to know what goalies Hollabd has had a line on this summer. Rumors of Korpisalo but with too high of a price tag and Kuemper but not being able to match Timmins as a prospect.

Smith for 2 years is fine. He will be a good backup for 2 years more if nothing else.
Imo it's more likely Ceci was brought in to replace Larsson so we'll be hoping his distractos are wrong that he cant handle 2nd pairing minutes. Koekkoek is depth and injury replacement. Potentially, since he had that great stretch with Chicago, maybe he could cover some 2nd pairing minutes from Keith if he shows his age. There's no way around it. The D is a work in progress and we are banking on better forward depth to help the D out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad