Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] D Slater Koekkoek signs with Oilers (2 years, $925k AAV)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think 4K is good example of why this charts can be somewhat limited: Role and situational usage matter/influence these charts a lot.

In CHI he was always in a depth situation with a stable partner. In EDM he started well on a sheltered pairing with Barrie, but then sank when he was counted to face tougher defensive match-ups with Larsson, or when paired with Bear, who struggled to keep his head above water at times. We saw the same with Kulikov, who did well with Subban in NJ on an offensive pairing, but looked overwhelmed defensively when with Larsson in EDM in a shutdown role.

IF they can keep him with Bouchard on a sheltered pairing, he should be fine; but I'm scared to see a Koekkoek-Ceci pairing that's relied on for defensive match-ups.

This is a good point. I remember most Oiler fans were happy with him at the very start of the year because he was solid out of the gate. This is clearly a guy who is best left on the bottom pair. Which is what 925K buys I guess.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
this dude is barely clinging on to an NHL spot for the past few years. He's like Del Zotto except MDZ was good at one point.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Good enough to fill in when/if Russell and Lagesson falter.
Bad enough to not block Broberg and Samorukov when they are ready to become NHLers

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think 4K is good example of why this charts can be somewhat limited: Role and situational usage matter/influence these charts a lot.

In CHI he was always in a depth situation with a stable partner. In EDM he started well on a sheltered pairing with Barrie, but then sank when he was counted to face tougher defensive match-ups with Larsson, or when paired with Bear, who struggled to keep his head above water at times. We saw the same with Kulikov, who did well with Subban in NJ on an offensive pairing, but looked overwhelmed defensively when with Larsson in EDM in a shutdown role.

IF they can keep him with Bouchard on a sheltered pairing, he should be fine; but I'm scared to see a Koekkoek-Ceci pairing that's relied on for defensive match-ups.

He averaged 16:45 as a Hawk and 13:10 as an Oiler, though. He was more of a depth option with us than he was with the Hawks.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Funny pun aside, there is actually people mad on the Oilers board about it. "Why two years, what a waste!".

Like the contract can be 100% buried in the AHL, unless Katz is posting on this board, I struggle too see why anyone gives a shit if a guy is being paid 900K in the AHL with zero cap hit. This is just a big nothing burger depth guy for depth prices, so it's hard to see why anyone would be mad about it.
Meh. Minority. Like usual I’m sure.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
When I first saw this, I thought it was 1.85M x 2years and I was legitimately like "Christ man, Holland has actually lost his damn mind."

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
So this is pretty much his last chance, right? Hoping for the best, but he's playing himself off of the NHL.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
KKKK was sub-par to say the least, but glad we have some form of injury fill-in.

I sorta think Samorukov makes his NHL debut this season (over Broberg and Lagesson).
His game is steady and low-event, but tough as nails.
Similar to Larsson, but on the left side.

I think players like him have easier chances getting into the NHL, as they're only focused on 1 end of the rink and he already comes equipped with the natural tools.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
He averaged 16:45 as a Hawk and 13:10 as an Oiler, though. He was more of a depth option with us than he was with the Hawks.
That’s an especially poor way of thinking, given the shortened season. He took one shift of 0:14 in one of the last games of the year, so it’s going to affect average TOI.

I’m not saying he’s a world-beater, but he’d probably perform better with regular minutes than either being benched or thrown to the wolves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad