Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] D Slater Koekkoek signs with Oilers (2 years, $925k AAV)

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
The Edmonton Oilers are bringing back defenceman Slater Koekkoek on a two-year, $1.85-million ($925,000 avv) contract, the team announced Thursday.

upload_2021-8-12_12-31-28.png

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Waiting again to hear from fans of teams who the Oilers are better than to tell us how this going to sink us.

I mean, Koekkoek was not very good for us. He got caved an awful lot.

it's not backbreaking, but he's clearly a #7 and I don't really see the point when we have Russell and Lagesson already.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Good solid #6/7 but I dont see why Oilers are bringing him back

Tippett didn't appear to like him much and barely utilized him

We had 10 NHL calibre dmen play a game for us last season, and our #1 dman plays damn near half the game. There’s only so many minutes to go around. Despite that, he was 4th on our team in PK time per game. Tipp wouldn’t have given him that if he didn’t trust him. With the dmen we moved out, it makes sense to bring him back as competition with Russell and Lagesson for the 6th and 7th spots

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

it's not backbreaking, but he's clearly a #7 and I don't really see the point when we have Russell and Lagesson already.

He also was paired with a struggling sophomore who slumped hard a lot, so that doesn't help. I do agree that he isn't much of an upgrade on Russell so I don't see the point. I was hoping for an upgrade on our third LD pair and I'm not sure if this is it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He also was paired with a struggling sophomore who slumped hard a lot, so that doesn't help. I do agree that he isn't much of an upgrade on Russell so I don't see the point. I was hoping for an upgrade on our third LD pair and I'm not sure if this is it.

There were rumblings we wanted Chara, this must have been the fallback plan when Big Z didn't want the travel in the West.

Reactions: TFHockey

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Any fan that doesn't like this deal is Koekkoek!

Funny pun aside, there is actually people mad on the Oilers board about it. "Why two years, what a waste!".

Like the contract can be 100% buried in the AHL, unless Katz is posting on this board, I struggle too see why anyone gives a shit if a guy is being paid 900K in the AHL with zero cap hit. This is just a big nothing burger depth guy for depth prices, so it's hard to see why anyone would be mad about it.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Funny pun aside, there is actually people mad on the Oilers board about it. "Why two years, what a waste!".

Like the contract can be 100% buried in the AHL, unless Katz is posting on this board, I struggle too see why anyone gives a shit if a guy is being paid 900K in the AHL with zero cap hit. This is just a big nothing burger depth guy for depth prices, so it's hard to see why anyone would be mad about it.

He can be buried in the AHL if he doesn't make the team or more likely claimed off waivers since I'm sure there are teams out there looking for cheap depth

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This D corp rests its shoulders on Ceci. I do think he will be good, but wow D is a glaring weakness. We hope for Lagesson, Somorukov, Niemilainen to solidfy

Reactions: HabsQC

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Oilers fans on the Oilers board hate everything the Oilers do.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

I think 4K is good example of why this charts can be somewhat limited: Role and situational usage matter/influence these charts a lot.

In CHI he was always in a depth situation with a stable partner. In EDM he started well on a sheltered pairing with Barrie, but then sank when he was counted to face tougher defensive match-ups with Larsson, or when paired with Bear, who struggled to keep his head above water at times. We saw the same with Kulikov, who did well with Subban in NJ on an offensive pairing, but looked overwhelmed defensively when with Larsson in EDM in a shutdown role.

IF they can keep him with Bouchard on a sheltered pairing, he should be fine; but I'm scared to see a Koekkoek-Ceci pairing that's relied on for defensive match-ups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad