Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If all this is is Keith for Jones and a 4th, Chicago wins that trade hands down. I think you can get some value out of Keith in a reduced role but adding 4.7 mil to do it from Edmonton's perspective is not a good idea.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Value wise this does not look great for EDM.

But EDM also has Broberg and Bouchard (and Bear) and this team could really use a veteran leader back there.

This deal doesn't hurt them that much, but could be a boon if the "intangibles" factor works out. It's a gamble that will tell fans whether Holland should keep his job or not.

I like Jones and think he's still got upside, but they won't really miss him. It's more about cap space.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seems like a solid deal for both teams. Oilers give up nothing for a veteran D which is a big need and Hawks clear salary so they can go after an equally bad D-man who will get a bad contract so they can chase another cup run instead of rebuilding like they should.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wow. Impressive that Chicago were able to move that deal, without taking back some sort of salary dump, and/or retention. I can definitely see this working out for the Oilers, as a second pairing defenceman who can still give you some decent minutes in the right situation, and a wealth of experience and that "winning pedigree". Just surprised they couldn't manage to offload something undesirable in exchange. Though i guess they only have a couple really terrible contracts, and those were probably non-starters.

Reactions: rynryn

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Chicago is not retaining at all? I think in a vacuum this trade isn’t that bad, but considering Edmonton’s cap complications…yikes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If salary is retained beyond 500k this sucks

If no salary is retained this blows but at least they did Keith a solid and we can move on

I am not a fan of Jones though

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
upload_2021-7-12_11-27-20.png

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hawks will get Caleb then use it as a perk to trade for Seth and sign him long-term.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I imagine there will be some retention on Keith to be reported later.
Chicago got a much better deal with Edmonton than they could have ever gotten with Seattle.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I think people know he is still a good dman, but this offseason its all about cap room across the league. I love the acquisition of Keith as a player standpoint, but if there is no retention, it's a gigantic fail by Edmonton
who are they going to get as good as keith tho? theres only about 3-5 free agent defenseman clearly better then him at this moment and he wants to be in edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad