Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think one of Neal, Kassian or Koskinen goes back the other way.

Can't imagine Chicago taking Koskinen back when they have three goalies under contract for next season already between Lankinen, Subban, and Delia unless they're okay with buying him out immediately.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So Chicago is probably discussing contract terms with Seth Jones’ camp. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a follow on move for Seth shortly.

Keith is a great fit for an Edmonton team that could use a guy like him. For the bottom four, lockerroom, leadership, etc. but it looks a lot better for Edmonton if they get some retention or manage to ship some kind of cap out along with Jones.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I thought Keith played pretty well against my team this season. He sort of overcompensated for a decline in skills by being over-the-top aggressive and dirty, but that's not a terrible thing by itself. I thought he was still overall a decent #4-ish guy.

I don't really know the Edmonton situation, but I'm pretty sure that's not a player I would commit $5.5M to for the next 2 seasons. He's still an effective NHL player. Just not on those terms. :dunno:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It'll be interesting to see the retention numbers. One benefit is that Keith only has two years left, so it's not exactly the most onerous contract on Planet Earth, especially since he's still a reasonably serviceable player if used properly (Chicago did not have the defensive depth to "use him properly").

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
5.5M is a lot for Keith but he should be a good puck mover and help transition the puck up the ice for the Oilers well

As long as Nurse stays a 1D and they can find a 2D player they should be set for next two years as I think Keith can be a solid 3/4 still

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
There HAS to be significant retention in this deal.. there is NO WAY Edmonton just agreed to taking on Keith's cap hit fully

I will be absolutely shocked if they just took it all on while giving up Jones AND a mid round pick

Reactions: brentashton

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
If there is no retention involved and Edmonton is sending a pick with Jones... then I don't know about this one.

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
Don’t know if the oilers win or lose once the final details are out but I’m happy to have Keith. We need some vets who have won before but are not fourth line players like chaisson or Ference before that. I know he is old but hopefully can contribute to a better winning culture.

Even with no retention, I think most guys we could have gotten instead will want more term anyways. I’ll be optimistic for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad