Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Nothing to nothing trade really.
a salary dump from Hawks, while getting nothing back.

Are those 2 & 3 2021 picks?
if so, in a strong draft, they be like 5 & 6 value.

But i guess Caleb Jones is a strong negotiation trump card for his brother,
so there's that i suppose.

Reactions: Taylorst

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Even if that didn't happen, they didn't have to trade for him. There were several other ways to use that 5.5 million in cap space.
The problem is he didn't even wait it out to put pressure on the Blackhawks. He just caved within one week...

What your clearly not grasping is stan had no pressure to trade keith period. Stan wanted Caleb as a sales pitch if they pursue Seth that was stans price plus chicago had no reason to eat any salary based on obvious reasons Keith's pedigree, what free agency market looks like . Edmonton walked away with a top 4 proven winner who brings alot to the team that is desperately needs at a bargain price for 2 years , your top guy is out for the season and the expansion draft will obviously take your bestbplayers whom are left unprotected.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Nothing to nothing trade really.
a salary dump from Hawks, while getting nothing back.

Are those 2 & 3 2021 picks?
if so, in a strong draft, they be like 5 & 6 value.

But i guess Caleb Jones is a strong negotiation trump card for his brother,
so there's that i suppose.

Bingo you nailed it

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Okay it was bad before but now:

1. Oilers take a contract dump ECHLer...

2. The pick is now in 2022... which is a better draft year where more scouting will have been done and be available...

3. The pick can now become a 2nd if the Oilers actually make all this work...?

Unreal.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Nurse, Kelfbom, Bear?

Klefbom could be done. Right now Keith is 2nd pairing with Bouchard. No, I'm not pleased. Only way this D core is good enough is if Larsson returns and we escape the expansion draft with Klefbom and he returns as a top 4 D. Not holding my breath.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Holy hell, this deal keeps getting worse. I walk away and come back to find the pick has conditions that could make it a higher pick and we took another wasted contract spot for a waiver fodder player. Unreal.

I know there's literally zero percentage chance those conditions are meet. But, really. Holland had to add conditions and take a useless echl level player back in the deal on top of the full Keith cap hit? This is Chiarelli level.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I've never liked the idea of bringing in fading vets for leadership purposes. Even someone as legendary as Keith.

Paying 5.5M for that is obviously ridiculous.

If you're going to get some cup-winning/playoff experience, it should be a player that can make a difference under pressure. A guy who will be out there successfully handling tough minutes in a playoff game.

Most of these acquired vets end up being liabilities that you need to hide. I hope Keith works out for the Oilers but there has to be a better way to bring in veteran leadership rather than throwing so much cap space away.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is Edmonton's first good trade since Glen Sather.

Keith probably has 2 really good years left with a change of scenery and some elite talent to boost his point total and will make the cap hit look like a bargain.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Who cares about pedigree when the team isn't close to contending nor has the cap space to address major holes in the roster?

We'd have been better off signing a Murray/Savard and another player in UFA with that money. We have no depth and gave assets for a 38 yr LD who at best is a #4 this season and has risk of falling off a cliff, even behind Nurse with Kris Russell there to pickup the slack and only Bear and Bouchard currently signed for RD. This move sucked. I say this even though I was hoping Seattle took Jones. Now we have to lose another player, maybe Benson, maybe Klefbom. Either Klef plays and we lost a top 4 D or he doesn't and Seattle would be able to trade him for the LTIR space as we've seen teams weaponize this. Where's the upside? Honestly.

Even worse he is now Keith is where he wants to be with a NMC and has to be protected so Larsson 100% will be available for UFA, zero chance Holland retains him prior to expansion. If someone like Toronto offers him 5x5 say goodbye to any hope he signs the rumoured 3.75x4. Someone said maybe Keith waives for the expansion draft, can you image if he did and is claimed and instead of just losing Jones Holland lost another pick on top? F#$% this joke of a management team. There was ZERO reason to do this trade prior to the expansion draft and even less reason to do it without any retention on Keith's contract.

Those players whom you just named haven't won anything , your getting a top 4 defenseman at a bargain price who brings a winning attitude that edmonton clearly needs . Your top defenseman is out for the year , nurse isn't going to be the vocal leader that edmonton needs to make a deep run . Your in a salary cap Era and part of the business is losing players, that's why you need lots of depth in your farm league in order to win, but bringing in keith definitely won't hurt edmonton in fact it will be a good thing for thenyou

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
This is Edmonton's first good trade since Glen Sather.

Keith probably has 2 really good years left with a change of scenery and some elite talent to boost his point total and will make the cap hit look like a bargain.

Is this a trolling post? Do you honestly think a club with zero depth is going to make Keith at 38 look like a bargain at 5.5 for 2 years? I mean, I'd be pleased if he did but come on man.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Those players whom you just named haven't won anything , your getting a top 4 defenseman at a bargain price who brings a winning attitude that edmonton clearly needs . Your top defenseman is out for the year , nurse isn't going to be the vocal leader that edmonton needs to make a deep run . Your in a salary cap Era and part of the business is losing players, that's why you need lots of depth in your farm league in order to win, but bringing in keith definitely won't hurt edmonton in fact it will be a good thing for thenyou

As it stands right now

Nurse - Bear
Keith - Bouchard
Lagesson - Russell

I mean hopefully Larsson signs but come on this D core is trash if the goal is playoffs.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I've never liked the idea of bringing in fading vets for leadership purposes. Even someone as legendary as Keith.

Paying 5.5M for that is obviously ridiculous.

If you're going to get some cup-winning/playoff experience, it should be a player that can make a difference under pressure. A guy who will be out there successfully handling tough minutes in a playoff game.

Most of these acquired vets end up being liabilities that you need to hide. I hope Keith works out for the Oilers but there has to be a better way to bring in veteran leadership rather than throwing so much cap space away.

Another poster mentioned if Klefbom returns as a 2nd pairing capable D Keith with Bouchard on the 3rd pairing would be great. Umm, a 5.5 million cap hit for 2 years to have to be sheltered behind Nurse and a "fixed" Klefbom. I mean if the bar is that low why not.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
At first glance this seems like a really bad move by the Oilers. (also, I hate the Oilers)

There is a small chance this works out like the Paul Reinhart trade to the Canucks way back in the day. The Canucks D-core needed a player like him and his veteran presence. Reinhart completely made the whole Canucks transition game and offensive zone presence work.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
At first glance this seems like a really bad move by the Oilers. (also, I hate the Oilers)

There is a small chance this works out like the Paul Reinhart trade to the Canucks way back in the day. The Canucks D-core needed a player like him and his veteran presence. Reinhart completely made the whole Canucks transition game and offensive zone presence work.

Even if everything aligns there was zero reason to add the pick, put conditions making the pick potentially higher, take the full cap hit, waste a contract spot on an echl level player, move an exposable to Seattle player like Jones, thus further exposing Benson and/or Klefbom, and do this deal prior to the expansion draft. Holland is lost. Bowman won even if the pick nets nothing and Jones blows.

The icing on the cake will be if Chicago wins a Seth Jones trade and he re-ups to play with his bro. I mean I think that hold more weight with fans than the players but holy hell if it happens./

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Been an Oiler fan since I was pretty much a toddler and I can feel this brewing in my soul

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
As it stands right now

Nurse - Bear
Keith - Bouchard
Lagesson - Russell

I mean hopefully Larsson signs but come on this D core is trash if the goal is playoffs.

That's a pretty good d Corp . Larsson obviously didn't fall into Edmonton's plans . Keith can still play don't underestimate that and what he brings to the team you can't put a price on it plus he can play in any situation. Chemistry and having won multiple cups or medals ect is a achievement that very few ever achieve.

GM always look for experience amd clutch players. But Edmonton didn't have any extra leverage in this deal , if Edmonton wasn't going to take Keith and his salary then stan wasn't obligated or in a situation that he had to move Keith.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Even if everything aligns there was zero reason to add the pick, put conditions making the pick potentially higher, take the full cap hit, waste a contract spot on an echl level player, move an exposable to Seattle player like Jones, thus further exposing Benson and/or Klefbom, and do this deal prior to the expansion draft. Holland is lost. Bowman won even if the pick nets nothing and Jones blows.

The icing on the cake will be if Chicago wins a Seth Jones trade and he re-ups to play with his bro. I mean I think that hold more weight with fans than the players but holy hell if it happens./

Your complaining, neither of us know the full scope of what's going on in the NHL never assume or play arm chair gm and think you know better we don't. They know more about moves , salaries , expansion and free agency . This whole notion of wanting a good p.ayer but believing the other team should eat half its salary because the guy is 37 but in greatbshape

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
What your clearly not grasping is stan had no pressure to trade keith period. Stan wanted Caleb as a sales pitch if they pursue Seth that was stans price plus chicago had no reason to eat any salary based on obvious reasons Keith's pedigree, what free agency market looks like . Edmonton walked away with a top 4 proven winner who brings alot to the team that is desperately needs at a bargain price for 2 years , your top guy is out for the season and the expansion draft will obviously take your bestbplayers whom are left unprotected.

What YOU'RE clearly not grasping is Ken (I see you are on first name basis with GMs in the NHL) had no pressure to trade for Keith period. Nobody in Edmonton had an absolute need for him.

There were two people who needed something from this deal:
1) "Stan" needed Caleb Jones
2) Duncan Keith needed out of Chicago and close to NW Canada

"Ken" did not NEED anything. He had the leverage. Stan had the want, so HE should have paid the extra picks or had to retain salary.

Now, you mention Keith's pedigree. Sure, pedigree is something, but what is more important is current value. You said what free agency market looks like - can you please find a comparable player? Any other 38 year old D out there with two years left making over 5 million that have recently been traded? No? You mean there ISN'T a market for this type of player ? You know what that means? Low demand --- that means the market value will be LOW.

It's literally supply and demand economics here.

Just because you say what Keith brings is at a bargain price, doesn't mean you are correct. Very few people seem to agree with you. He is past his prime and on the decline. He may still be able to play, but he is not worth the 5.5 million dollars. Even if he were worth that, "Ken" had the leverage to wait and have the price drop.

It's arguable if Klefbom is seen as the "top guy". Sure he is out for the season, but Holland could re-sign Barrie and has Nurse who was at some points during this season being talked about as a Norris candidate (didn't make the final discussion, but had a solid season).

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
What YOU'RE clearly not grasping is Ken (I see you are on first name basis with GMs in the NHL) had no pressure to trade for Keith period. Nobody in Edmonton had an absolute need for him.

There were two people who needed something from this deal:
1) "Stan" needed Caleb Jones
2) Duncan Keith needed out of Chicago and close to NW Canada

"Ken" did not NEED anything. He had the leverage. Stan had the want, so HE should have paid the extra picks or had to retain salary.

Now, you mention Keith's pedigree. Sure, pedigree is something, but what is more important is current value. You said what free agency market looks like - can you please find a comparable player? Any other 38 year old D out there with two years left making over 5 million that have recently been traded? No? You mean there ISN'T a market for this type of player ? You know what that means? Low demand --- that means the market value will be LOW.

It's literally supply and demand economics here.

Just because you say what Keith brings is at a bargain price, doesn't mean you are correct. Very few people seem to agree with you. He is past his prime and on the decline. He may still be able to play, but he is not worth the 5.5 million dollars. Even if he were worth that, "Ken" had the leverage to wait and have the price drop.

It's arguable if Klefbom is seen as the "top guy". Sure he is out for the season, but Holland could re-sign Barrie and has Nurse who was at some points during this season being talked about as a Norris candidate (didn't make the final discussion, but had a solid season).
Addendum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad