Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
0% chance Klefbom is playing. Sounds like Larsson might also be taking calls during free agency. Nurse is the only top 4 D the Oilers currently have under contract.
Bear can bounce back and Bouchard should hopefully look okay on the second line with a vet Keith?

We are positive klef is done tho ?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
People (including Ken Holland) keep ignoring that the cap is an actual thing that exists. It literally restricts what you can and cannot do. Almost every move that a GM makes needs to have the cap be taken into consideration. In this move, it was completely ignored. This move proved to everyone that Ken Holland does not have a clue how to manage this team.
He had 0 cap space last season and created some room by walking away from Athanasiou and using that space to add Kahun+Barrie + Koekkoek.
He had a boat load of cap space this offseason but so far half of it has gone to Nuge+Keith. The remaining 12-15M will go towards a goalie, Larsson, Yamamoto and a left winger.
He had a chance to really shape this organization but went with 8 more yrs of Nuge and now Keith.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Bear can bounce back and Bouchard should hopefully look okay on the second line with a vet Keith?

We are positive klef is done tho ?

Holland said today that it's "slim" odds that Klefbom plays this season. Maybe it's a smoke screen for the expansion draft but I still think retirement is the most likely option there.

I think you're right and that Keith's best bet is somebody like Bear or Bouchard but I also think that on a good hockey team that all happens on the 3rd pairing instead of the 2nd.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
because the pick would be like 55th overall.. Wiining > magic ball so it would be worth it for Oilers if Keith helps us go on a run
That isn't the point.
The point is that he could have gotten Keith for less, or forced Chicago to retain salary.

That extra cap could go toward getting more depth... more depth can be the difference between losing the conference final to making it to the stanley cup finals.

People keep saying "oh don't judge the trade till after next season". That is utter BS. This is a BUSINESS transaction based on the CURRENT value. If I could be a house for $500, 000 today, but paid $700,000, and the value of the house went to $750,000 next year, your logic would be "oh it was worth paying $700,000 because you made money".

NO. The point is you LOST $200, 000 in potential income because you didn't know the market value. The previous owner made $200,000 off of you for FREE.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I hope everyone knows here that Klefbom is pretty much done and will be on LTIR after the Expansion Draft? So we will essentially lose 500k of our cap space..

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
He had 0 cap space last season and created some room by walking away from Athanasiou and using that space to add Kahun+Barrie + Koekkoek.
He had a boat load of cap space this offseason but so far half of it has gone to Nuge+Keith. The remaining 12-15M will go towards a goalie, Larsson, Yamamoto and a left winger.
He had a chance to really shape this organization but went with 8 more yrs of Nuge and now Keith.
I hate how us Oilers fans were told to "wait until the 2021 offseason...". It's literally only July and Holland is doing his best to handcuff the team already. Literally making a completely unnecessary move for such a high cost. I have no problem with trying to acquire Keith... but at least get value for your deal.... Wait it out if you have to, when you have the opportunity given the cards you have in your hand. Holland caved for no reason.

Someone get this guy into a poker game. I'm sure winning his money would be like taking candy from a baby.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Holland said today that it's "slim" odds that Klefbom plays this season. Maybe it's a smoke screen for the expansion draft but I still think retirement is the most likely option there.

I think Keith's best bet is somebody like Bear or Bouchard but I also think that on a good hockey team that all happens on the 3rd pairing instead of the 2nd.
True but I guess we will have klefs money then for another dman maybe ? Oilers with a better goalie and a bottom six that doesn't bleed chances would probably do better, for defense its barrie out and Keith in ? Well unless Larsson bails but before this past year he was playing like garbage

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Again it was an over payment considering the risk. Holland is not getting the benefit of any upside taking all of the risk over payment if it doesn't workout.

Not from the value Holland saw. You can't put a price on what Keith has accomplished over the years. And this wasn't Bowman trying to dump Keith because he didn't want him, it was because Keith wanted to be closer to his son and play on a playoff/contender, which the Oilers were the closest team to where his son was with those things. In the end, he's playing in a smaller role than he did in Chicago, which in turn should make him a better defenceman and provide the Oilers with some much need veteran leadership in the backend.

Reactions: Taylorst

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hawks did not HAVE to dump Keith. That seems to be the fundamental misunderstanding. I said it a million times in the last thread but nobody seems to believe me, lol.

They kind of did have to dump him. Would they really have deprived one of the best most beloved Hawks of all time of his happiness by keeping him in Chicago, away from his son, against his wishes? Not likely.

The fact of the matter is that Bowman had zero leverage in this situation and he still managed to fleece an old, out of touch GM who was somehow bidding against himself to give up assets to acquire a bad contract. Bowman took Holland to the cleaners, flat out. Holland did him a favor and gave up assets to boot.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I hate how us Oilers fans were told to "wait until the 2021 offseason...". It's literally only July and Holland is doing his best to handcuff the team already. Literally making a completely unnecessary move for such a high cost. I have no problem with trying to acquire Keith... but at least get value for your deal.... Wait it out if you have to, when you have the opportunity given the cards you have in your hand. Holland caved for no reason.

Someone get this guy into a poker game. I'm sure winning his money would be like taking candy from a baby.

I don't think the proven NHL talent is flocking to Edmonton its better than sitting on the cap space and wishing

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I don't think the proven NHL talent is flocking to Edmonton its better than sitting on the cap space and wishing
Hate to break it to you - free agency starts July 28. Holland literally didn't even give that a chance.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Just listened to a question and answer with Keith. Seems he wanted to play in Edmonton because his ex wife and son live in Vernon BC. (most here probably know that)

Usually I hear Canadian players putting Canadian teams on their no trade lists. Guess there's exceptions. LOL

Reactions: Devonator

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Their was no reason to make this deal from the Oilers position. They could have let it sit till beginning of start of the season and put pressure on Bowman but Holland blinked and get bent over a barrel.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Not from the value Holland saw. You can't put a price on what Keith has accomplished over the years. And this wasn't Bowman trying to dump Keith because he didn't want him, it was because Keith wanted to be closer to his son and play on a playoff/contender, which the Oilers were the closest team to where his son was with those things. In the end, he's playing in a smaller role than he did in Chicago, which in turn should make him a better defenceman and provide the Oilers with some much need veteran leadership in the backend.

And Ken Holland hasn't been able to properly value aging vets, in the salary cap era, for a long time now. You can't put a price on the past but you better, and a GM should be able to, put a price of a player in the present and future.

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Damn. I wanted to like Holland, but this feels very much like the Chia years. It could work out, but to give up value and not even get retention...ugh. This had better work out, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad